From: Pratip Mukherjee on
Any body knows when the Spartan-3E starter kit will be availaible from
Xilinx? Website says 4th quarter. Isn't it 4th quarter already?
From: Peter Alfke on
When you have to pay a bill by a certain day, or when you have to turn
in a paper in school, it always means "before the end of the specified
period".
So "fourth quarter" means, before December 31.
Peter Alfke

From: Antti Lukats on
"Peter Alfke" <alfke(a)sbcglobal.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> When you have to pay a bill by a certain day, or when you have to turn
> in a paper in school, it always means "before the end of the specified
> period".
> So "fourth quarter" means, before December 31.
> Peter Alfke

the Xilinx webshop now only says that the s3e kit is 'targetted' DEC 2005.

translated: Xilinx makes NO commitment about the actual availability at all.

to my surprise Avnet claimed that they have shipped about 400 s3e kits and
that they expect the kit to become available ex stock again. At the time i
asked (a few weeks ago) Avnet was not able to ship immediatly.

I REALLY REALLY wonder what is the reason why Avnet is already shipping S3e
based boards, and Xilinx is 'targetting' DEC 2005 ???

Anybody cares to explain?

Antti

PS I have an immediate project that requires small low cost FPGA production
volumes maybe 500/year. I was considering S3e - but I guess I may have to
reconsider and use non Xilinx vendor Altera/Lattice as they can ship their
low cost FPGAs. I am still looking at S3e,.but unless I will get some
confirmation that low volumes will be available within few months, I have to
use alternatives.

From: Mike Harrison on
On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 18:34:14 +0200, "Antti Lukats" <antti(a)openchip.org> wrote:

>"Peter Alfke" <alfke(a)sbcglobal.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> When you have to pay a bill by a certain day, or when you have to turn
>> in a paper in school, it always means "before the end of the specified
>> period".
>> So "fourth quarter" means, before December 31.
>> Peter Alfke
>>

>the Xilinx webshop now only says that the s3e kit is 'targetted' DEC 2005.
>
>translated: Xilinx makes NO commitment about the actual availability at all.
>
>to my surprise Avnet claimed that they have shipped about 400 s3e kits and
>that they expect the kit to become available ex stock again. At the time i
>asked (a few weeks ago) Avnet was not able to ship immediatly.
>
>I REALLY REALLY wonder what is the reason why Avnet is already shipping S3e
>based boards, and Xilinx is 'targetting' DEC 2005 ???
>
>Anybody cares to explain?
>
>Antti
>
>PS I have an immediate project that requires small low cost FPGA production
>volumes maybe 500/year. I was considering S3e - but I guess I may have to
>reconsider and use non Xilinx vendor Altera/Lattice as they can ship their
>low cost FPGAs. I am still looking at S3e,.but unless I will get some
>confirmation that low volumes will be available within few months, I have to
>use alternatives.

Well considering the Xilinx webshop doesn't even have any S3 devices in stock, I wouldn't hold my
breath waiting for S3e.
From: Peter Alfke on
Let's straighten this out on Monday!
Peter Alfke, Xilinx Applications