From: Uwe Bonnes on
Peter Alfke <peter(a)xilinx.com> wrote:
> December is the month...

Which year ;-)

--
Uwe Bonnes bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt
From: Antti Lukats on
"Uwe Bonnes" <bon(a)hertz.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Peter Alfke <peter(a)xilinx.com> wrote:
>> December is the month...
>
> Which year ;-)
>
> --
> Uwe Bonnes bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
>
> Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt
> --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------

Uwe,

December is the month every year, but its 2005 to get real
Christmas presents from Xilinx.

S3e is WAY best FPGA around, so if we have to wait a little
more lets try todo wait in piece, this goes more tomyself and
my kinda angry comments about s3e availability, I am sometimes
like a boy who wants its presents too early.

Antti

From: Jim Granville on
Summary of this thread :

Peter Alfke wrote:

> I promised an answer. The digging took a bit longer...
>
> The good news is that Xilinx has many thousands of S3e100 in TQ144, and
> hundreds in vq100 packages, as well as many S3500 in several packages.
> The bad new is that -today- these parts are still ES ("early silicon")
> which distribution hates to touch, because the parts will become
> obsolete very soon, once the production version becomes available.
>
> If you need them immediately, order them through your distributor or
> your Xilinx sales folks. And realize that "6 to 8 weeks" is often
> exaggerated.

Or the Xilinx web store ? - All that infrastructure, going to waste....

> Production S3e100 and 500s are expected this month, and 1600 soon
> after. And the distis will love to sell them (which they consider their
> job, even in Europe !).

And they WILL be on the fast track to the Web-Store (surely?) ?

> I have held the almost final version of the S3e500-based evaluation
> board in my hand. It is dynamite, loaded with features and peripherl
> circuits, compatible with a slew of inexpensive Digilent add-on boards.
> Availability starts in December. Well before that, there will be a
> business-card-size eval board, packaged in a DVD-case, meant as a
> super-low-cost S3e100 demonstrator.

"Well before" December is March, so I guess now we are in November,
i.e. "really close' to December, the info on that nice sounding
super-low-cost S3e100 demonstrator, is being posted on the web
as I write ? - Photos, users manuals, actual Prices, usual stuff....

-jg

From: Brian Davis on
Peter wrote:

> your older comments must have fallen on good ears

I suspect Steven Knapp's past comments on the I/O connector grounding
were far more effective than mine...

> The S3e500-based evaluation board uses a two-row 100-pin connector with
> (almost) one whole row dedicated to Ground.

Great!!!
Is that the Hirose 100 pin as used on the XUP-V2Pro board?

> Plus two legacy connectors that are much smaller.

OK; the S3E board webpage description says "three 40-Pin Expansion
Connection Ports", which is what had me worried about high-speed I/O.

> The manual is still being written, and I offered some help.

Even a rough draft with schematics & connector pinouts would let folks
get a head start on designs.

thanks,
Brian

From: Peter Alfke on
Guys, let's make a deal:
I give you a bit more, more early, and more honest information than you
can read in the press releases.
You, in turn, stop molesting and attacking me whenever I write anything
about dates and avilability.
I am not in marketing, but I am reasonably honest, and I believe in
what I write (or I just don't write about it.)
Isn't that good enough?
Peter

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Error (XST): translate terminal to FCT
Next: Memory in VHDL