From: G. Morgan on
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>Troll, troll... troll.

David,

Do you know the answer to my question, please? You or Dustin should know since
you guys are the resident experts here, right?

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "G. Morgan" <usenet_abuse(a)gawab.com>

| "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>>Troll, troll... troll.

| David,

| Do you know the answer to my question, please? You or Dustin should know since
| you guys are the resident experts here, right?

I'm not an expert but, FTR his it on the nose.

You have to be wary about grey area software.

If the software is designed to be spyware and it is publicized as such and the EULA states
the facts then it falls into the grey area of a Potentioally Unwanted Program (PUP).

If you are on an employers computer the employer may install monitoring software that
falls into this grey area. The software is properly stating what it does and the EULA is
in line then it can be used in a lawful fashion. However if a monitoring software has no
disclaimers or falsley states its intentions in a EULA for what it does or if it has no
documentation and use clauses then it can be non-legitimate and thus be declared malware.

--
Dave

From: G. Morgan on
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>I'm not an expert but, FTR his it on the nose.
>
>You have to be wary about grey area software.
>
>If the software is designed to be spyware and it is publicized as such and the EULA states
>the facts then it falls into the grey area of a Potentioally Unwanted Program (PUP).
>
>If you are on an employers computer the employer may install monitoring software that
>falls into this grey area. The software is properly stating what it does and the EULA is
>in line then it can be used in a lawful fashion. However if a monitoring software has no
>disclaimers or falsley states its intentions in a EULA for what it does or if it has no
>documentation and use clauses then it can be non-legitimate and thus be declared malware.

Okay, what about detection? When I played with it I threw Aviva, MBAM, and
Super A/S and .... ziltch.

This is not for a company PC, it's for my own personal PC. And a can't
understand why (as far as I know), nobody has software to detect it.

What other devious key loggers are out there that will provide the owner of his
OWN PC if such (PUP) are installed. And how do I find out if they ARE there?
I'm not the only one with admin rights to my PC, I have a girlfriend (nuf'
said?) lol ...

From: Dustin Cook on
G. Morgan <usenet_abuse(a)gawab.com> wrote in

You may wish to submit it's executables to http://www.virustotal.com

> Is there a sweetheart deal with the AV companies to exclude it?

Not that I know of, no.

> Are there any more commercial spy ware programs that the AV companies
> decide not to warn you about?

Again, not that I specifically know of.

> Are there ANY programs that DO detect and remove it?

BugHunter did detect atleast one variant of spectorsoftpro. You may give it
a try...
http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk

> Thanks!

your welcome.

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior

From: Dustin Cook on

> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>

>>I'm not an expert but, FTR his it on the nose.
>>
>>You have to be wary about grey area software.
>>
>>If the software is designed to be spyware and it is publicized as such
>>and the EULA states the facts then it falls into the grey area of a
>>Potentioally Unwanted Program (PUP).
>>
>>If you are on an employers computer the employer may install
>>monitoring software that falls into this grey area. The software is
>>properly stating what it does and the EULA is in line then it can be
>>used in a lawful fashion. However if a monitoring software has no
>>disclaimers or falsley states its intentions in a EULA for what it
>>does or if it has no documentation and use clauses then it can be
>>non-legitimate and thus be declared malware.
>

> Okay, what about detection? When I played with it I threw Aviva,
> MBAM, and Super A/S and .... ziltch.

If you don't already have an account at the mbam forum, I'd recommend you
create one. Create a fresh thread describing this software and the url
where you obtained it, so that they can acquire samples.

The team will check it out and perhaps add it to future definitions.

Just so you know tho, the spectorsoftpro suite would fall under..
greyware. It's spyware, but discloses this during installation. :)

> This is not for a company PC, it's for my own personal PC. And a
> can't understand why (as far as I know), nobody has software to detect
> it.

It could just be a newer executable, or simply hasn't been brought to
their respective attentions. The antimalware guys rely on people like you
to bring things to light you feel should be detected. So, bring this to
their attention via the forum.

> What other devious key loggers are out there that will provide the
> owner of his OWN PC if such (PUP) are installed. And how do I find
> out if they ARE there? I'm not the only one with admin rights to my
> PC, I have a girlfriend (nuf' said?) lol ...

To take a guess, probably lots. Some aren't always so straight up about
their intentions either.