From: G. Morgan on
I installed Specter Pro just for kicks (downloaded a torrent) and noticed that
NO AV s/w detects it.

Is there a sweetheart deal with the AV companies to exclude it?

Are there any more commercial spy ware programs that the AV companies decide not
to warn you about?

Are there ANY programs that DO detect and remove it?

Thanks!

From: G. Morgan on
G. Morgan <usenet_abuse(a)gawab.com> wrote:

>I installed Specter Pro just for kicks (downloaded a torrent) and noticed that
>NO AV s/w detects it.
>
>Is there a sweetheart deal with the AV companies to exclude it?
>
>Are there any more commercial spy ware programs that the AV companies decide not
>to warn you about?
>
>Are there ANY programs that DO detect and remove it?
>
>Thanks!

Here is the URL if you are not familiar with it:
http://www.spectorsoft.com/

From: FromTheRafters on
"G. Morgan" <usenet_abuse(a)gawab.com> wrote in message
>I installed Specter Pro just for kicks (downloaded a torrent) and
>noticed that
> NO AV s/w detects it.
>
> Is there a sweetheart deal with the AV companies to exclude it?
>
> Are there any more commercial spy ware programs that the AV companies
> decide not
> to warn you about?
>
> Are there ANY programs that DO detect and remove it?
>
> Thanks!

Not all spyware is malware, just as not all adware is malware. Some
antimalware or antivirus might detect legitimate spyware if you have it
set to alert to potentially unwanted programs (PUP).

From: ~BD~ on
FromTheRafters wrote:

> Not all spyware is malware, just as not all adware is malware. Some
> antimalware or antivirus might detect legitimate spyware if you have it
> set to alert to potentially unwanted programs (PUP).

I'd not seen this product before and renewed thoughts prompted by it!

*What if* ....... ?

One or more of those 'trusted' malware cleaning forums (or even a
trusted software programme) could, surely, download such a programme
onto a user's machine so that, forever afterwards, whatever is done on
that machine may be monitored by an outside agency.

From what I have seen by watching computer cleaning activity on many
forums (and undergoing same personally, for practice purposes!) naive
folk are invited to install all manner of (to them) unknown programmes -
which they do without hesitation. They have no clue as to how such
action may affect their machine later on.

Lambs to the slaughter, maybe? ;)

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "~BD~" <BoaterDave(a)hot.mail.co.uk>

| FromTheRafters wrote:

>> Not all spyware is malware, just as not all adware is malware. Some
>> antimalware or antivirus might detect legitimate spyware if you have it
>> set to alert to potentially unwanted programs (PUP).

| I'd not seen this product before and renewed thoughts prompted by it!

| *What if* ....... ?

| One or more of those 'trusted' malware cleaning forums (or even a
| trusted software programme) could, surely, download such a programme
| onto a user's machine so that, forever afterwards, whatever is done on
| that machine may be monitored by an outside agency.

| From what I have seen by watching computer cleaning activity on many
| forums (and undergoing same personally, for practice purposes!) naive
| folk are invited to install all manner of (to them) unknown programmes -
| which they do without hesitation. They have no clue as to how such
| action may affect their machine later on.

| Lambs to the slaughter, maybe? ;)

Troll, troll... troll.

What if your automobile tire falls off and your car crashes and you die. Will you stop
using your car ?

What if you took your narrow boat on the Themes and you hit a log and puncture your hull
and you drown. Will you stop using your boat ?

What North Korea sends a nuclear tipped ICBM at the UK. Will you build a bomb shelter ?

What if you crossed the street and were hit by a car and died. Will you stop crossing the
street ?

What if your wife sleep walks, picks up a knife and stabbs you as you slept. Would you
divorce your wife ?

What if...

You constantly bring "what ifs..." into the picture is nothing but troll bait.

Is there a point in this post's "what if..." scenario ? No.

--
Dave