From: FromTheRafters on
"~BD~" <BoaterDave(a)hot.mail.co.uk> wrote in message
> FromTheRafters wrote:
>
>> Not all spyware is malware, just as not all adware is malware. Some
>> antimalware or antivirus might detect legitimate spyware if you have
>> it
>> set to alert to potentially unwanted programs (PUP).
>>

> I'd not seen this product before and renewed thoughts prompted by it!
>
> *What if* ....... ?
>
> One or more of those 'trusted' malware cleaning forums (or even a
> trusted software programme) could, surely, download such a programme
> onto a user's machine so that, forever afterwards, whatever is done on
> that machine may be monitored by an outside agency.

That's not very likely, such a trojan would soon be discovered and dealt
with - very bad for the 'trusted' source's reputation. That's right
there with the old "What if the AV people are writing the viruses?"
conspiracy theory.

I can't think of a legitimate reason, offhand, for surreptitiously
installing spyware. The administrator/owner of a machine can install it
*and* exclude the AV or whatever from alerting someone in userland to
its existence.

From: gufus on
Hello, G.!

You wrote on Sat, 01 May 2010 17:09:18 -0500:

| Okay, what about detection? When I played with it I threw Aviva, MBAM,
| and Super A/S and .... ziltch.
|
| This is not for a company PC, it's for my own personal PC. And a can't
| understand why (as far as I know), nobody has software to detect it.

Your millage may vary...

--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: FromTheRafters on
"G. Morgan" <usenet_abuse(a)gawab.com> wrote in message

[...]

> This is not for a company PC, it's for my own personal PC. And a
> can't
> understand why (as far as I know), nobody has software to detect it.

The *malware* to detect, would be the surreptitious installer (trojan)
of the keylogger. Since you evidently installed it yourself, there *is*
no malware to detect. If this program comes with a way to install it
surreptitiously, then that function (or it's result) *should* be
detected. What you would need in order to prevent one administrator from
being able to detect that the other' has installed spyware is to have
the whole deal on a monitor or hypervisor where one administrates the
"platform" on which both administrators appear to administrate in the
emulated "environment".

Don't worry about malware too much, you've got a
girlfriend/administrator so you're pretty much 'toast' anyway. :oD

From: G. Morgan on
Dustin Cook <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>your welcome.

Thanks, I'm afraid to re-install it right now. I'll wait till it's time to
flatten the OS again.

From: Dustin Cook on

> Dustin Cook <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>your welcome.
>

> Thanks, I'm afraid to re-install it right now. I'll wait till it's
> time to flatten the OS again.

Have you considered a free vm software package? You can load your flavor of
windows right into it, apps as well; and they won't hurt your computer
outside of the VM if things go south. Granted, for the purists I do have to
say atleast one known VM aware malware sample exists. It causes the VM to
crash when discovered tho.

Microsofts virtualPC comes to mind, along with suns virtualbox.
virtualbox looked slightly more.. cartoony I guess you could say, than
virtualpc.

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior