From: Dustin Cook on
~BD~ <BoaterDave(a)hotmail..co.uk> wrote in

> Dustin Cook wrote:
>
>> And again, such tactics would eventually land on the wrong machine.
Say,
>> mine for example. My curosity would force me to go digging and
>> eventually, I *would* find the modifications.
>
> Now *that* is exactly what I tried to encourage you to do, Dustin!

You have no need to encourage me to do what I would do naturally anyway.
What you asked me to do was get dirt on people you have a personal grudge
with; and I will not do that for you.

> I can hope for nothing more than that someone *will* take an interest
> and investigate. Most folk are too busy to do as I have done for well
> over four years now. I've never professed to know much about computers
> but I do have an ability to sense when things do not ring true.

Your senses are in need of recalibration.

The sites you mention have been around for sometime; I'm sure if they
were upto no good, someone would have noticed it and been able to
demonstrate it to the security community; I am unaware of any of that
having taken place.

> I'm sure you are right but it seems that such checks and balances are
> woefully inadequate. The bad guys are winning and cybercrime is still

I disagree. They quickly caught your newly fake account at malwarebytes.
No sir, they are on the ball.

> Just like the Somali pirates, the Internet bad guys *must* be stopped.

Dave, with all due respect, hell will freeze over before you stop a
single internet bad guy. I say this because you have no clue who are the
good or bad guys and your efforts of PI work are failing miserably.

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior

From: G. Morgan on
"FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>The *malware* to detect, would be the surreptitious installer (trojan)
>of the keylogger. Since you evidently installed it yourself, there *is*
>no malware to detect. If this program comes with a way to install it
>surreptitiously, then that function (or it's result) *should* be
>detected. What you would need in order to prevent one administrator from
>being able to detect that the other' has installed spyware is to have
>the whole deal on a monitor or hypervisor where one administrates the
>"platform" on which both administrators appear to administrate in the
>emulated "environment".

I also do house calls on the side. I would like a program that detects ALL key
loggers, not just non-commercial ones. Husband spying on wife, etc...

From: G. Morgan on
G. Morgan <usenet_abuse(a)gawab.com> wrote:

>Are there ANY programs that DO detect and remove it?

I'm going to rephrase my question.

Why wouldn't the author's of Super ASW and MBAM not include commercial key
loggers in their detections? It doesn't matter if you bought the spyware in a
nice package at Fry's, or downloaded it from any number of free sources.

Key loggers are Spyware, period. I can't leave a customer's house after
scanning with Avira, MBAM, and Super ASW --- knowing that none of them detects
this "greyware". <--- Which I have a problem with that term.

Forget what I said about my g/f. That was just theoretical. I'm talking about
working on other's PC's now.

Why do commercial vendors get a "pass", when script kiddies and other a$$holes
that write Trojans for "fun" don't?

I'll join the forum and see what happens. But, my strong opinion as a
technician, the tools I use to must be 100% dead-on. Spyware is spyware, no
matter what spin you put on it (PUP, Greyware) whatever.... Just because it
comes in shrink wrapped box doesn't mean it's not spyware.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "G. Morgan" <usenet_abuse(a)gawab.com>

| G. Morgan <usenet_abuse(a)gawab.com> wrote:

>>Are there ANY programs that DO detect and remove it?

| I'm going to rephrase my question.

| Why wouldn't the author's of Super ASW and MBAM not include commercial key
| loggers in their detections? It doesn't matter if you bought the spyware in a
| nice package at Fry's, or downloaded it from any number of free sources.

| Key loggers are Spyware, period. I can't leave a customer's house after
| scanning with Avira, MBAM, and Super ASW --- knowing that none of them detects
| this "greyware". <--- Which I have a problem with that term.

| Forget what I said about my g/f. That was just theoretical. I'm talking about
| working on other's PC's now.

| Why do commercial vendors get a "pass", when script kiddies and other a$$holes
| that write Trojans for "fun" don't?

| I'll join the forum and see what happens. But, my strong opinion as a
| technician, the tools I use to must be 100% dead-on. Spyware is spyware, no
| matter what spin you put on it (PUP, Greyware) whatever.... Just because it
| comes in shrink wrapped box doesn't mean it's not spyware.

Yes, please do join the forum for the product and ask.

--
Dave

From: FromTheRafters on
"G. Morgan" <usenet_abuse(a)gawab.com> wrote in message
> G. Morgan <usenet_abuse(a)gawab.com> wrote:
>

>>Are there ANY programs that DO detect and remove it?
>

> I'm going to rephrase my question.
>
> Why wouldn't the author's of Super ASW and MBAM not include commercial
> key
> loggers in their detections? It doesn't matter if you bought the
> spyware in a
> nice package at Fry's, or downloaded it from any number of free
> sources.

Chances are, they will. Didn't Dustin invite you to upload the
executable? Sometimes all that is needed is an MD5 on non-polymorphics.

It would make sense for anti-spyware applications to have the ability to
detect PUPs. It would also be necessary to give the administrator the
ability to exclude the legitimately installed spyware from detection as
it's legitimate use would require. Windows in particular has parental
control (spyware) - would you want children to be able to detect and
possibly thwart its use?

> Key loggers are Spyware, period. I can't leave a customer's house
> after
> scanning with Avira, MBAM, and Super ASW --- knowing that none of them
> detects
> this "greyware". <--- Which I have a problem with that term.
>
> Forget what I said about my g/f. That was just theoretical. I'm
> talking about
> working on other's PC's now.
>
> Why do commercial vendors get a "pass", when script kiddies and other
> a$$holes
> that write Trojans for "fun" don't?

Because in some cases there is *no* difference, programmatically,
between the legitimate and the malicious spyware once it is installed.
The same goes for RATs - which can be described both as Remote Access
Trojan *and* Remote Administration Tool. The key difference is *how* it
becomes installed.

> I'll join the forum and see what happens. But, my strong opinion as a
> technician, the tools I use to must be 100% dead-on. Spyware is
> spyware, no
> matter what spin you put on it (PUP, Greyware) whatever.... Just
> because it
> comes in shrink wrapped box doesn't mean it's not spyware.

Use a process viewer and familiarize yourself with what *should* be
there. Chances are you will not have husbands spying on wives and vice
versa, but admins spying on standard users. If the spyware hides from
the administrator, it is *malware*, not greyware, and should be detected
by antimalware applications.