From: Dustin Cook on
G. Morgan <usenet_abuse(a)gawab.com> wrote in

> "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>

>>The *malware* to detect, would be the surreptitious installer (trojan)
>>of the keylogger. Since you evidently installed it yourself, there
>>*is* no malware to detect. If this program comes with a way to install
>>it surreptitiously, then that function (or it's result) *should* be
>>detected. What you would need in order to prevent one administrator
>>from being able to detect that the other' has installed spyware is to
>>have the whole deal on a monitor or hypervisor where one administrates
>>the "platform" on which both administrators appear to administrate in
>>the emulated "environment".
>
> I also do house calls on the side. I would like a program that
> detects ALL key loggers, not just non-commercial ones. Husband spying
> on wife, etc...

As many of the keyloggers are commercial in nature; Perhaps you could
purchase a copy of the popular ones and provide the complete installer to
various antimalware researchers.

I'd be willing to release a database update to BugHunter to include each
one you are willing to provide. I'll go one step further, I'll submit
them to my friends at malwarebytes for possible inclusion into their
databases as well.

That's probably your best bet for getting something to detect all of
them; Atleast in so far as commercial goes. Us antimalware guys go for
the things we see in the wild, doing harm.

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior

From: Dustin Cook on

> G. Morgan <usenet_abuse(a)gawab.com> wrote:
>

>>Are there ANY programs that DO detect and remove it?
>

> I'm going to rephrase my question.
>
> Why wouldn't the author's of Super ASW and MBAM not include commercial
> key loggers in their detections? It doesn't matter if you bought the
> spyware in a nice package at Fry's, or downloaded it from any number
> of free sources.

It matters. It's a greyarea. Legimitate reasons exist for the commercial
packages. One being, monitoring of employees using company/network
equipment.

> Key loggers are Spyware, period. I can't leave a customer's house
> after scanning with Avira, MBAM, and Super ASW --- knowing that none
> of them detects this "greyware". <--- Which I have a problem with
> that term.

As I said, it's a greyarea. Potentially unwanted software, depending on
the conditions of it's installation.

If you want them to take a look, provide the installer executable so that
a proper analysis can be performed.

> Why do commercial vendors get a "pass", when script kiddies and other
> a$$holes that write Trojans for "fun" don't?

They don't get a pass per say. It depends on whether or not the employer
set the software up. If that's the case, the user has no right to
discover that spyware.

> I'll join the forum and see what happens. But, my strong opinion as a
> technician, the tools I use to must be 100% dead-on. Spyware is
> spyware, no matter what spin you put on it (PUP, Greyware)
> whatever.... Just because it comes in shrink wrapped box doesn't mean
> it's not spyware.

I'm a technician by trade as well, along with antimalware researcher; and
sadly, whether you like the term or not doesn't matter. It exists and
applies in some cases. As far as tools being 100%, as an author of one
myself, and fellow researcher for another, that's just not possible.
Sorry.

From: FromTheRafters on
"Jenn" <me(a)nowhere.whocareswhatthisemailisanyway> wrote in message
> "JD" <JD(a)example.invalid> wrote in message
>> FromTheRafters wrote:

No I didn't - nothing in this previous post by Jenn was written by me.
Why are you attributing to me, words which are not mine? Are you trying
to discredit me!? Are you in cahoots with Harry Kellerman to defame my
good name? I have a hinky feeling about you two... :o)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067980/

>> We have a term down here in Texas. It's called "pi$$ing into the
>> wind." We try not to do that but sometimes one mis-judges the wind
>> direction.

We call it pissing, but I guess in Texas things are a little different.
:oD

> ...again with the mature comments littered with foul language that you
> think makes you look somehow more manly and smart....

If it quacks like a duck ... oh wait ... that's fowl language...
nevermind.

> Texas sayings isn't going to make up for a low IQ.

Nearly half of all Texans are of below average intelligence, and don't
*even* get me started on Oklahomans.

From: Jenn on
FromTheRafters wrote:
> "Jenn" <me(a)nowhere.whocareswhatthisemailisanyway> wrote in message
>> "JD" <JD(a)example.invalid> wrote in message
> We call it pissing, but I guess in Texas things are a little
> different.
>> oD
>
>> ...again with the mature comments littered with foul language that
>> you think makes you look somehow more manly and smart....
>
> If it quacks like a duck ... oh wait ... that's fowl language...
> nevermind.
>
>> Texas sayings isn't going to make up for a low IQ.
>
> Nearly half of all Texans are of below average intelligence, and don't
> *even* get me started on Oklahomans.

haha ok thats twice you made me laugh ... lol

Luckily... I am not FROM Oklahoma... I just live here. :D

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)

From: ~BD~ on
FromTheRafters wrote:
> "Jenn"<me(a)nowhere.whocareswhatthisemailisanyway> wrote in message
>> "JD"<JD(a)example.invalid> wrote in message
>>> FromTheRafters wrote:
>
> No I didn't - nothing in this previous post by Jenn was written by me.
> Why are you attributing to me, words which are not mine? Are you trying
> to discredit me!? Are you in cahoots with Harry Kellerman to defame my
> good name? I have a hinky feeling about you two... :o)
>
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067980/

Always sharp! I suppose it's easier looking down from above! ;-)

There was a trailer for Robin Hood on that link; did you notice?

*He* didn't like bad guys either!

--
Dave - it's in the genes of us Brits!