From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 16:47:42 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>> In both cases, the crop was set to include something. In the "Lady",
>> to include the full leaf at the bottom right, and in the "Cat" the
>> full palmetto frond. When I framed the shot, the shadows of the
>> fronds were distinct and I thought they offset the fronds themselves.
>> The shadows kind of wimped out on me in the photo. I debated on the
>> white spots in the water plant. I could have cloned them out, but it
>> was a matter of clone out all or not clone. A few look like an error.
>>

>To clone or not to clone. That is the question. Whether it is nobler in the
>minds of artists to correct nature's work or suffer the slings and arrows of
>carping critics.

Lady Macbeth: Out, damned spot! out, I say!

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

From: Robert Coe on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 17:30:45 -0400, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net>
wrote:
: On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 16:47:42 -0400, "Peter"
: <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
:
: >"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
: >news:561c46lipdqlkm2dka4r7as6oa127lmel8(a)4ax.com...
: >
: >> In both cases, the crop was set to include something. In the "Lady",
: >> to include the full leaf at the bottom right, and in the "Cat" the
: >> full palmetto frond. When I framed the shot, the shadows of the
: >> fronds were distinct and I thought they offset the fronds themselves.
: >> The shadows kind of wimped out on me in the photo. I debated on the
: >> white spots in the water plant. I could have cloned them out, but it
: >> was a matter of clone out all or not clone. A few look like an error.
: >>
: >
: >To clone or not to clone. That is the question. Whether it is nobler in the
: >minds of artists to correct nature's work or suffer the slings and arrows of
: >carping critics.
:
:
: Lady Macbeth: Out, damned spot! out, I say!

"Lay on, Macduff,
And damned be he who first cries 'Hold! Enough!'"

Bob
From: Tim Conway on

"Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:16:06 -0400, Bowser <Canon(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:
>>
>>>Available for viewing, and located here:
>>>
>>>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pinhole_ii
>>>
>>>For more information and future mandates, please look here:
>>>
>>>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
> TimConway
>
> Good landscape shot. You show nice perspective by keeping both the
> foreground and background sharp. To add a little punch if you have
> PhotoShop you might want to try the technique here, to remove the haze:
>
> http://www.jakeludington.com/photography/20060921_fixing_haze_in_digital_photos.html

Thanks. I've tried that and it really does make quite an improvement.

From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 15:20:42 -0400, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:16:06 -0400, Bowser <Canon(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:
>
>>Available for viewing, and located here:
>>
>>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pinhole_ii

My comments:

Foggy Lighthouse (Newman): I think the lighthouse should be more
recognizable as such if this is the title of the image. I can't
discern a lighthouse shape there. "Foggy View" might be better.

Grapes (Otter): An otherwise undistinguished photograph, but one that
works very well for the mandate. If the pin lands in a vineyard, then
find something in the vineyard and take an interesting photo. The
"interesting" is accomplished with the light and composition. I like
the effort.

Gravestones (Bob Coe): A taste is not enough. The gravestones look
interesting, but we see enough to want to read them but not enough to
read anything. Good photo, but lacks one central point of interest.
Note, later in my comments, how being able to read the gravestones
adds to the story.

River Scene (Bob Coe): I'd have cropped that to a wide
almost-panoramic view cropped just below the ducks (geese?) on the
right and just at the end of the bridge on the left. Nice, warm
scene. Is that a boathouse? I hope Sisker notices that a sky doesn't
have to be deep blue to make a good image.

Hospital (Bob Coe): Shrug. Neither an architectural view or a
boating view.

Flowers (Martha Coe): Someone's going to say to crop most of the
lower part out, but I see it as contrasting textures. I would crop it
bit more to the left where the plant life is thin.

Flower (Martha Coe): A careful, well-executed shot. That which
should be in focus, is.

Leaves (Martha Coe): Shrug.

(I'd like to see the Coes name their shots. Yes, they've identified
the subject, but I mean a title that says what they think they are
portraying. With those type of shots, you need to know what they were
going for.)

Signs (SavageDuck): Kinda confusing. Not a particularly interesting
photo because the signs are no more than informative. If the pin was
exactly centered at this intersection, you gotta take the photo I
guess, but there's just not much here.

Gravestone (SavageDuck) I like this even though there's not a great
deal to it. Lotta contrast between the warmth of the surroundings and
the bleakness of the stone. Not Duck's fault, buy why no date? The
6th Missouri Infantry was a CSA unit in the Civil War and a unit that
fought in the Spanish-American War.

He's not on the CSA 6th Missouri Infantry roster at
http://www.missouridivision-scv.org/mounits/6mo-infantry.htm

There is a Lt Jon McElheny, Company A, 6th Missouri Infantry buried at
the Fort Hunter Liggett Cemetary
http://www.militarymuseum.org/FtHLiggett.html

C'mon, Duck. There's a story here.

Fence (SavageDuck): Shrug. Just trying to show Sisker a blue sky?

Takeoff (Newman) One of those catches that can't be done on purpose.
Good job. I like the crop with the diagonal of splashes.

Boat Flare (Newman) I really don't get the appeal.

Pigeons (Bowser) A fantastic catch. Tack-sharp where it should be.
Crop the boaters, though.

Biplane (Bowser) I like this photo. It's just something you like
seeing captured on film. (metaphorical film, that is) More proof
that a good photo doesn't need a real blue sky.

Bridge (Bowser) The comments tell me it was a pinhole requirement, but
it's a "shrug".

Barn (Tim Conway) Postcard view, but that shadowed side of the barn
with the white window frames makes it a cut above similar shots.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last