From: otter on
On Jul 20, 12:16 pm, Bowser <Ca...(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:
> Available for viewing, and located here:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pinhole_ii

Last night I wrote a long and detailed commentary on all the pictures
of the SI, and when I went to submit it my computer froze, and I
wasn't even able to capture the text in notepad. I consider that an
omen. So I will just make a few brief comments.

First, I think everyone will agree that this was a difficult
challenge. To try to find something interesting at random locations
that are usually quite plain is a real test. On the other hand I'm
glad to have tried it, and think I learned something. If nothing
else, to look at everyday places in a different way, as possible photo
opportunities.

Comments:

- The photo of the SI for me was Bowser's pidgeons. You could tell
they were hot and thirsty. I thought the picture could be better,
though, if the boaters and the other things on the water were stamped
out. I sent Bowser a modified version to show what I mean. It only
took a few minutes in photoshop. I even Siskerized the sky. I didn't
feel right putting the modified pic on my website, so I'll let Bowser
decide whether to show it.

- Robert Coe's gravestones: The first thing I noticed were the white
streaks. Probably should have deleted those. I think there is
potential in that subject, but needs a little more work.

- Tony Cooper's water fireworks. Very nice.

I also liked Duck's "Keep Out" sign, but would have been better, as
someone said, if there were a couple teenagers with surfboards
sneaking past it.
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-07-21 18:26:44 -0700, otter <bighorn_bill(a)hotmail.com> said:

> On Jul 20, 12:16�pm, Bowser <Ca...(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:
>> Available for viewing, and located here:
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pinhole_ii
>
> Last night I wrote a long and detailed commentary on all the pictures
> of the SI, and when I went to submit it my computer froze, and I
> wasn't even able to capture the text in notepad. I consider that an
> omen. So I will just make a few brief comments.
>
> First, I think everyone will agree that this was a difficult
> challenge. To try to find something interesting at random locations
> that are usually quite plain is a real test. On the other hand I'm
> glad to have tried it, and think I learned something. If nothing
> else, to look at everyday places in a different way, as possible photo
> opportunities.
>
> Comments:
<Le Snip>

> I also liked Duck's "Keep Out" sign, but would have been better, as
> someone said, if there were a couple teenagers with surfboards
> sneaking past it.

Those surfing kids would do well to heed the warning "Does not go to
ocean." They would have had an 8 mile trek through mountains, and rough
country, including trespassing on Hearst property, to reach the coast.
<
http://maps.google.com/?q=35.6726666667,-120.9651666667&spn=0.05,0.05&t=h&om=1&hl=en

Zoom out to see the relative position to the coast.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: tony cooper on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 18:26:44 -0700 (PDT), otter
<bighorn_bill(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> I even Siskerized the sky.

A new word may have emerged in the lexicon of the photographer.

John may go down in history as a modern Thomas Bowdler, Mrs Malaprop,
and other eponymous figures.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: otter on
On Jul 21, 9:25 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> On 2010-07-21 18:26:44 -0700, otter <bighorn_b...(a)hotmail.com> said:
>

> > On Jul 20, 12:16 pm, Bowser <Ca...(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:
> >> Available for viewing, and located here:
>
> >>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pinhole_ii
>
> > Last night I wrote a long and detailed commentary on all the pictures
> > of the SI, and when I went to submit it my computer froze, and I
> > wasn't even able to capture the text in notepad.  I consider that an
> > omen.  So I will just make a few brief comments.
>
> > First, I think everyone will agree that this was a difficult
> > challenge.  To try to find something interesting at random locations
> > that are usually quite plain is a real test.  On the other hand I'm
> > glad to have tried it, and think I learned something.  If nothing
> > else, to look at everyday places in a different way, as possible photo
> > opportunities.
>
> > Comments:
>
> <Le Snip>
>

> > I also liked Duck's "Keep Out" sign, but would have been better, as
> > someone said, if there were a couple teenagers with surfboards
> > sneaking past it.
>
> Those surfing kids would do well to heed the warning "Does not go to
> ocean." They would have had an 8 mile trek through mountains, and rough
> country, including trespassing on Hearst property, to reach the coast.
> <http://maps.google.com/?q=35.6726666667,-120.9651666667&spn=0.05,0.05...
>

> Zoom out to see the relative position to the coast.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, but the viewer doesn't need to know that. The kids could block
the sign that says this isn't the way to the beach, or it could just
be irony...
From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 18:26:44 -0700 (PDT), otter
> <bighorn_bill(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I even Siskerized the sky.
>
> A new word may have emerged in the lexicon of the photographer.
>
> John may go down in history as a modern Thomas Bowdler, Mrs Malaprop,
> and other eponymous figures.

Your comment blew over my head

--
Peter

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: [SI] The Pinhole II gallery is up!
Next: Good Friday Photos