From: Bowser on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 18:26:44 -0700 (PDT), otter
<bighorn_bill(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Jul 20, 12:16�pm, Bowser <Ca...(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:
>> Available for viewing, and located here:
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pinhole_ii
>
>Last night I wrote a long and detailed commentary on all the pictures
>of the SI, and when I went to submit it my computer froze, and I
>wasn't even able to capture the text in notepad. I consider that an
>omen. So I will just make a few brief comments.
>
>First, I think everyone will agree that this was a difficult
>challenge. To try to find something interesting at random locations
>that are usually quite plain is a real test. On the other hand I'm
>glad to have tried it, and think I learned something. If nothing
>else, to look at everyday places in a different way, as possible photo
>opportunities.
>
>Comments:
>
>- The photo of the SI for me was Bowser's pidgeons. You could tell
>they were hot and thirsty. I thought the picture could be better,
>though, if the boaters and the other things on the water were stamped
>out. I sent Bowser a modified version to show what I mean. It only
>took a few minutes in photoshop. I even Siskerized the sky. I didn't
>feel right putting the modified pic on my website, so I'll let Bowser
>decide whether to show it.

Thanks for the compliments! I did reply to your mail, and asked that
you market the photo, sell it, make a ton of money, and then send me
the money.

I'm good with that.

FWIW, I rarely modify any shoot in submissions and prefer to let the
pics stand as I took them. The disruptive background elements and
un-Siskerized sky were in the original, so I left them in. I did a
little contrast/saturation/sharpening on the original JPG, however,
but not much. I've found that thirsty pigeons don't need a lot of
attention.
From: otter on
On Jul 22, 11:52 am, Bowser <Ca...(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 18:26:44 -0700 (PDT), otter
>

> <bighorn_b...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> >On Jul 20, 12:16 pm, Bowser <Ca...(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:
> >> Available for viewing, and located here:
>
> >>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pinhole_ii
>
> >Last night I wrote a long and detailed commentary on all the pictures
> >of the SI, and when I went to submit it my computer froze, and I
> >wasn't even able to capture the text in notepad.  I consider that an
> >omen.  So I will just make a few brief comments.
>
> >First, I think everyone will agree that this was a difficult
> >challenge.  To try to find something interesting at random locations
> >that are usually quite plain is a real test.  On the other hand I'm
> >glad to have tried it, and think I learned something.  If nothing
> >else, to look at everyday places in a different way, as possible photo
> >opportunities.
>
> >Comments:
>
> >- The photo of the SI for me was Bowser's pidgeons.  You could tell
> >they were hot and thirsty.  I thought the picture could be better,
> >though, if the boaters and the other things on the water were stamped
> >out.  I sent Bowser a modified version to show what I mean.  It only
> >took a few minutes in photoshop.  I even Siskerized the sky.  I didn't
> >feel right putting the modified pic on my website, so I'll let Bowser
> >decide whether to show it.
>
> Thanks for the compliments! I did reply to your mail, and asked that
> you market the photo, sell it, make a ton of money, and then send me
> the money.
>
> I'm good with that.

Yeah, OK, I'll get started on it. :-)
From: Robert Coe on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:44:20 -0400, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net>
wrote:
: "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
: news:hsbf46lianuui5emcuipq1a9qk9d0b5f89(a)4ax.com...
: > On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 18:26:44 -0700 (PDT), otter
: > <bighorn_bill(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
: >
: >> I even Siskerized the sky.
: >
: > A new word may have emerged in the lexicon of the photographer.
: >
: > John may go down in history as a modern Thomas Bowdler, Mrs Malaprop,
: > and other eponymous figures.

: Your comment blew over my head

I'll gladly refudiate that.

Bob
From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 21:08:54 -0400, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:44:20 -0400, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net>
>wrote:
>: "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>: news:hsbf46lianuui5emcuipq1a9qk9d0b5f89(a)4ax.com...
>: > On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 18:26:44 -0700 (PDT), otter
>: > <bighorn_bill(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>: >
>: >> I even Siskerized the sky.
>: >
>: > A new word may have emerged in the lexicon of the photographer.
>: >
>: > John may go down in history as a modern Thomas Bowdler, Mrs Malaprop,
>: > and other eponymous figures.
>
>: Your comment blew over my head
>
>I'll gladly refudiate that.

A Palinesquedrome.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: otter on
On Jul 22, 6:15 pm, otter <bighorn_b...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 22, 11:52 am, Bowser <Ca...(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 18:26:44 -0700 (PDT), otter
>
> > <bighorn_b...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> > >Last night I wrote a long and detailed commentary on all the pictures
> > >of the SI, and when I went to submit it my computer froze, and I
> > >wasn't even able to capture the text in notepad.  I consider that an
> > >omen.  So I will just make a few brief comments.
>
> > >First, I think everyone will agree that this was a difficult
> > >challenge.  To try to find something interesting at random locations
> > >that are usually quite plain is a real test.  On the other hand I'm
> > >glad to have tried it, and think I learned something.  If nothing
> > >else, to look at everyday places in a different way, as possible photo
> > >opportunities.
>
> > >Comments:
>
> > >- The photo of the SI for me was Bowser's pidgeons.  You could tell
> > >they were hot and thirsty.  I thought the picture could be better,
> > >though, if the boaters and the other things on the water were stamped
> > >out.  I sent Bowser a modified version to show what I mean.  It only
> > >took a few minutes in photoshop.  I even Siskerized the sky.  I didn't
> > >feel right putting the modified pic on my website, so I'll let Bowser
> > >decide whether to show it.
>
> > Thanks for the compliments! I did reply to your mail, and asked that
> > you market the photo, sell it, make a ton of money, and then send me
> > the money.
>
> > I'm good with that.
>
> Yeah, OK, I'll get started on it.  :-)- Hide quoted text -

OK here is my version of Bowser's pidgeons, complete with Siskerized
sky. I could go either way with the sky, but notice that the "make
dull skies blue" tool applies a gradient to make it blend better,
unlike John's attempts.

I can also possibly see leaving the white bouys in, but the boat
people have to go.

If anyone wants to buy this, send me money, and I'll pass it on to
Bowser.

- Otter

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: [SI] The Pinhole II gallery is up!
Next: Good Friday Photos