From: tony cooper on
A bit off the subject for the Shoot-In, but one of the guest judges (a
magazine photo editor in real life) for a recent competition night
lectured sensibly on "tangents".

A "tangent", as he described it, is a bit of the central point of
interest of a photo that touches the edge of the frame. He advises to
avoid this because it stops the eye from moving all around the major
subject.

This came to mind looking at Bowser's pigeons:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/126699235

The tail feathers at the left are exactly what this judge was
commenting on. He would have Bowser crop just outside that tangent
point.

When he first brought this up, I was skeptical. Then, I started
noticing photographs where this exists and found that I *am* stopped
at this point. I wouldn't notice the effect if there was a slivver of
space twixt subject and edge.

Naturally, this doesn't pertain to ordinary background or a
deliberately offset image.

Comments?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Robert Coe on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 19:18:51 -0400, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net>
wrote:
: Leaves (Martha Coe): Shrug.

That's a rare plant in our area, and the red seed pod is quite unusual, I
think.

: (I'd like to see the Coes name their shots. Yes, they've identified
: the subject, but I mean a title that says what they think they are
: portraying. With those type of shots, you need to know what they were
: going for.)

Actually, Martha did name hers, although in typing the captions, I
mis-identified the venue as "Garden of the Woods" rather than "Garden *in* the
Woods". I knew better, sorry.

I didn't name mine because I was in a hurry and because I had prepared a
detailed commentary on each shot, which I have since posted.

A word about what Martha was "going for", because I think it's moderately
interesting: The New England Wildflower Society, which owns Garden in the
Woods, has a National Science Foundation grant to compile a catalogue of
Massachusetts plant life. Martha took the pictures at a class they held to
train volunteers to take "specimen" photos according to a carefully defined
protocol. The class began with a lecture and handouts, after which the
students were sent out to the Garden's "Meadow" to practice taking pictures
(the instructor's choice of that location constituting the "pinhole"). Martha
hopes to take some pictures good enough to be included in the catalogue.

Bob
From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Foggy Lighthouse (Newman): I think the lighthouse should be more
> recognizable as such if this is the title of the image. I can't
> discern a lighthouse shape there. "Foggy View" might be better.

I understand what you mean. Guess you have to know the lighthouse is there
to see it.

> Takeoff (Newman) One of those catches that can't be done on purpose.
> Good job. I like the crop with the diagonal of splashes.

Thanks. Actually I thought the bird was ready to fly and I just waited.
Though luck does play a role too

> Boat Flare (Newman) I really don't get the appeal.

Many agree with you.
I have been experimenting with multiple exposures and very few have done
well in CC competitions. However, I have a few prints that did well some
runners up. Multiple exposures give an entirely different feel in print.

--
Peter

From: Robert Coe on
:
[...]

There are undoubtedly cases where you could make that argument regarding a
specific photo. As a general rule, I think it's bunk. And I don't think
there's a thing wrong with Bowser's pigeons. It wouldn't have hurt to have a
little space to the left of the bird's tail, but the picture doesn't need it.

The "rule" might apply where there are two central elements separated by
space. Cropping too closely on the axis along which the separation occurs
tends to emphasize the space and dilute the relationship between the two
elements. That's not the case in Bowser's picture.

Bob
From: otter on
On Jul 20, 3:04 pm, "Peter" <peter...(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
> My comments on some other shots:
>
> I like the back lighting in Grapes. The shot reminds me that summer is
> coming to an end. Can't wait to taste some new wine.

The story behind the "grapes" shot. Two of my pinholes put me in
typical suburban neighborhoods, and there really wasn't much
interesting. I possibly could have taken a picture of flowers, but
that was about it. I don't know how the homeowners would take it for
me to set up a tripod in their garden..

The third pinhole put me in a vacant field, which I felt held the most
promise. When I scouted the location, though, it was disappointing -
just a bunch of weeds and trash. I noticed a rusty fence, and took a
look to see if I could do something with that. That's when I saw the
grapes. There was about a 6 foot section of the fence covered with
grapes. A little farther down there are more grape leaves, but no
grapes. Not sure why the birds hadn't got to these.

I decided to come back at "the golden hour" to shoot, and it did look
a lot better with the back-lighting. I actually went back twice. I
got a pretty good picture the first evening, but there were some
things that bugged me about it, so I went back and took it again the
next day. This time I brought a spray bottle along, and wet down the
leaves. I think it freshened up the scene. Hope that doesn't disturb
anyones sensibilities.

I also cleaned up some spider webs in photoshop, and boosted fill-
lighting a bit. But otherwise, the colors are pretty much the same as
what I saw.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: [SI] The Pinhole II gallery is up!
Next: Good Friday Photos