From: Pete on
On 2010-07-21 00:29:36 +0100, tony cooper said:

> A bit off the subject for the Shoot-In, but one of the guest judges (a
> magazine photo editor in real life) for a recent competition night
> lectured sensibly on "tangents".
>
> A "tangent", as he described it, is a bit of the central point of
> interest of a photo that touches the edge of the frame. He advises to
> avoid this because it stops the eye from moving all around the major
> subject.
>
> This came to mind looking at Bowser's pigeons:
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/126699235
>
> The tail feathers at the left are exactly what this judge was
> commenting on. He would have Bowser crop just outside that tangent
> point.
>
> When he first brought this up, I was skeptical. Then, I started
> noticing photographs where this exists and found that I *am* stopped
> at this point. I wouldn't notice the effect if there was a slivver of
> space twixt subject and edge.
>
> Naturally, this doesn't pertain to ordinary background or a
> deliberately offset image.
>
> Comments?

The concept was described to me as subject "breathing space". We could
say that a "tangent" occurs when the "breathing space" becomes zero or
negative. For many subjects, stress increases as "breathing space"
approaches zero from either direction. The stress results from a few
factors, but the eye movement being restricted by the frame is a very
good explanation.

The media, especially television, portrays images with negative
"breathing space" so frequently that many of us have stopped noticing
it.

--
Pete

From: Doug McDonald on

>> Good landscape shot. You show nice perspective by keeping both the foreground and background
>> sharp. To add a little punch if you have PhotoShop you might want to try the technique here, to
>> remove the haze:
>>
>> http://www.jakeludington.com/photography/20060921_fixing_haze_in_digital_photos.html

That's for more than just haze. Its a virtual panacea. The two tools that
are most needed for landscape shots are that and careful use of "highlight/shadow".

I do, for the former, however suggest not radii of 70 or so, but more usually 300-400.
As small as 70 can produce obvious artifacts.

Doug McDonald

From: Tim Conway on

"Doug McDonald" <mcdonald(a)scs.uiuc.edu.remove.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Good landscape shot. You show nice perspective by keeping both the
>>> foreground and background
>>> sharp. To add a little punch if you have PhotoShop you might want to try
>>> the technique here, to
>>> remove the haze:
>>>
>>> http://www.jakeludington.com/photography/20060921_fixing_haze_in_digital_photos.html
>>>

> That's for more than just haze. Its a virtual panacea. The two tools that
> are most needed for landscape shots are that and careful use of
> "highlight/shadow".
>
> I do, for the former, however suggest not radii of 70 or so, but more
> usually 300-400.
> As small as 70 can produce obvious artifacts.

Are you sure you mean radius? I just tried to enter 300 in Photoshop CS and
it won't let me enter more than a 250 radius. I did do that, and it really
looks good. (30, 250, 0)
Thanks.

From: Peter on
"Tim Conway" <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Doug McDonald" <mcdonald(a)scs.uiuc.edu.remove.invalid> wrote in message

>> That's for more than just haze. Its a virtual panacea. The two tools that
>> are most needed for landscape shots are that and careful use of
>> "highlight/shadow".
>>
>> I do, for the former, however suggest not radii of 70 or so, but more
>> usually 300-400.
>> As small as 70 can produce obvious artifacts.
>
> Are you sure you mean radius? I just tried to enter 300 in Photoshop CS
> and it won't let me enter more than a 250 radius. I did do that, and it
> really looks good. (30, 250, 0)
> Thanks.

You have to play with the different tools and see which one pleases you. As
you know in PS there are many ways of achieving the same effect.

--
Peter

From: Pete on
On 2010-07-21 14:02:49 +0100, HocusPocus said:

> When television arrived it was referred to as the 'close up' medium.
> Screens were smaller than the cinema (obviously) where large vistas were
> common and desirable. The (wrong) thinking for television was that
> everything had to be right in there, cropping the forehead and chin, the
> ECU. What we noticed was that the aspect ratio of cinema films meant either
> side of the image was cut off on television (it was squeezed for the credit
> sequence) and an 'innovation' was the ability to pan the image to one side
> or the other so vital actions weren't happening off screen. When the
> technology enabling the image to be letterboxed came along, all was well
> again. Those who said television was a close up medium said nothing and
> directors were calling for 'headroom' - don't chop off the tops of their
> heads - and 'leading space' - don't have a face up against the frame in the
> direction they are looking. Funny how it still goes round and round.

Very well stated, thank you.

--
Pete

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: [SI] The Pinhole II gallery is up!
Next: Good Friday Photos