From: Ray Fischer on
sobriquet <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>On 25 okt, 06:11, rfisc...(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>> sobriquet �<dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >Once somebody has obtained a piece of software (regardless whether
>> >they bought
>> >it or downloaded it), they can create a duplicate for their friends
>> >out of thin air.
>> >They might be infringing copyright when people help each other out
>> >like that, but it's not
>> >theft, as nothing is being taken away, but rather, something is being
>> >added (another copy).
>>
>> Similarly, emptying your bank account and transferring the funds to
>> mine would not take anything away from you since only some numbers
>> would be changed.
>
>Likewise the government can create money out of thin air.

Non sequitur.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: sobriquet on
On 25 okt, 18:15, "Red E. Kilowatt" <SPAMT...(a)aww-faq.org> wrote:
> sobriquet wrote:

> >> Ooooh, the NAZI's. I'm invoking Goodwin's Law on this thread.
>
> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
> >> "...there is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet
> >> discussion forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is
> >> finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically "lost"
> >> whatever debate was in progress."
>
> >> Though I suppose it'll take more than that to put this thread out of
> >> its misery.
> >> --
> >> Red
>
> > Godwin is the most frequently employed cop out by nazis to silence a
> > discussion when the fascism in their opinion is exposed.
>
> Actually all your name-calling -- including the NAZI references -- is
> proof of your desperation.
>
> --
> Red

Sure, and calling filesharers thieves is merely expressing a factual
opinion according to
misguided fascist cockroaches.
Just like the nazis would argue they are merely expressing a fact when
they call jews parasites.
From: sobriquet on
On 25 okt, 22:53, rfisc...(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
> sobriquet  <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >> Similarly, emptying your bank account and transferring the funds to
> >> mine would not take anything away from you since only some numbers
> >> would be changed.
>
> >Likewise the government can create money out of thin air.
>
> Non sequitur.
>
> --
> Ray Fischer
> rfisc...(a)sonic.net

When you transfer money from my account to yours, you're not copying
money but moving money.
So you are taking away money then you take if from my account. Compare
that to the hypothetical
situation where you would hack into the back system, check to see what
amount of money I have
in the bank and copy that amount to your account, while leaving my
account unaffected.

The concept of theft only applies when something is taken away (except
when talking figuratively, like
stealing a kiss). So you can copy the number that represents the
amount of money I have in my account
and assign it to your account, but that typically leaves my account
unaffected.

Besides, just because numbers merely change, that doesn't necessarily
imply that nothing is being taken away.

E.g. I can have variables X and Y and assign the number 23 to X and 32
to Y. Then I'm told an arithmetic operation
has taken place which has altered the numbers such that Y now has the
number 9 assigned to it. I might infer that one possible explanation
would be that X was subtracted from Y and the result of this
subtraction was assigned to Y (so 23 out of 32 were taken away from
Y).
From: Ray Fischer on
sobriquet <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>On 25 okt, 22:53, rfisc...(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>> sobriquet �<dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>> >Likewise the government can create money out of thin air.
>>
>> Non sequitur.
>
>When you transfer money from my account to yours, you're not copying
>money but moving money.

But the money has no physical reality. It's just numbers.

>So you are taking away money then you take if from my account.

Nope. Your "account" has no physical reality. It's just numbers.

[...]
>The concept of theft only applies when something is taken away

Thus, msking the numbers for your "account" smaller and the numbers
for my "account" bigger isn't actually taking anything away from you.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Ray Fischer on
sobriquet <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>Your problem is that you've invested time and effort to produce
>something that
>is devoid of commercial value.

If it's devoid of value then you have no excuse or justification for
making copies.

So are you lying when you claim you have the right to copy it for your
own benefit, or are you lying when you claim it has no value?

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net