From: NotMe on

2
0
8

;

"Jerry Stuckle" <jstucklex(a)attglobal.net> wrote in message
: NotMe wrote:
: <snip>
: >
: >
:
: It has become obvious this guy is living in a fantasy land. He
: obviously has no life outside of his computer; most probably a loner
: with no friends who has no concept of reality. And he thinks everything
: should be his for free, no matter what it cost the creator to develop it.
:
: I would highly suggest just dropping this. He'll keep on with his
: fantasies as long as he has an audience. It's the only way he can get
: the attention he craves.

I swore off earlier but it's raining here about and nothing on cable so ...

From: Eric Stevens on
On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 18:33:11 -0700 (PDT), sobriquet
<dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> : > : lost
>> : >
>> : > I presume you're aware of the adage that one can't sell from an empty
>> wagon.
>> : >
>> : > Once the information wagon is empty where do you propose to source new
>> : > information for your free mart?
>> :
>> : That's why it's important to tax information and to device a fair
>> : system of distributing
>> : those taxes amongst people who create new things.
>> : Copyright is completely ineffective, so by getting rid of it, we
>> : improve the situation right away but we might as well maintain
>> : copyright until a fair system of taxation is implemented which can
>> : replace copyright as a means to ensure that people who come up with
>> : new content can earn an income in this fashion so they can devote
>> : their time to their creative passion.
>> : In practice, there is no copyright on the internet as 99% of the
>> : people who exchange information online tend to ignore copyright issues
>> : (the bulk of online communication concerns data on filesharing
>> : networks).
>> :
>> : At this point there are so many opportunities to automate work, that
>> : nobody should feel forced to work for a living and the government can
>> : provide an unconditional income for free.
>> : This means that people can devote their time to their hobby or
>> : passion, regardless whether or not they earn any money with their
>> : activities. Because there is more than enough material wealth and
>> : technological ingenuity that the production of basic necessities
>> : (food, clothing, shelter and internet) can be fully automated.
>>
>> You've been reading too many utopian space cadet dime novels. Not even
>> Ashmoe's wildest works went that far.
>>
>> An aside you've still not answered the question where you propose to source
>> new information for your free mart? �Hint: magic is not a valid response
>
>You're sorely mistaken if you think the universe revolves around work
>and making
>a living. Money might disappear in the near future when we have
>nanotechnology or other revolutionary innovations which allow us to
>duplicate physical commodities as easily as bitstrings.
>This might sound like science fiction to people who don't follow
>technological developments, but if you would have told people 100
>years ago about the technology we have today (like lasers, microwaves,
>cellphones, gps, and computers) they would consider these claims
>deluded fantasies from people who have been reading too may science
>fiction novels.
>So 10, 50 or 100 years from now, who knows what amazing new inventions
>the scientists will have concocted? But it's unlikely that money will
>play a significant role in the future as society gradually begins to
>revolve around information instead of money.

You remind me of the student-fanaticists who used to have a place in
all the underground cells which seemed to form a part of life in
Czarist Russia before the revolution. Utterly impractical, out of
touch with the realities of the world, and the first to be sacrificed
when the Okhrana (secret police) knocked the door down.

Eric Stevens
From: Bob Larter on
sobriquet wrote:
> On 21 okt, 17:29, Bob Larter <bobbylar...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> sobriquet wrote:
>>> It's simply a matter of coming up with smart technology that can
>>> create and maintain itself.
>> Gee, it's that simple?
>
> Once you have a robot that can build itself from scratch which can be
> deployed for arbitrary tasks, it becomes very simple indeed. We're not
> talking about something complicated like a robot that can improve upon
> it's own design when it builds a new copy of itself.

Be sure to let us know when you designed a robot that can build itself
from scratch.

From: Bob Larter on
sobriquet wrote:
> [...]
>> : passion, regardless whether or not they earn any money with their
>> : activities. Because there is more than enough material wealth and
>> : technological ingenuity that the production of basic necessities
>> : (food, clothing, shelter and internet) can be fully automated.
>>
>> You've been reading too many utopian space cadet dime novels. Not even
>> Ashmoe's wildest works went that far.
>>
>> An aside you've still not answered the question where you propose to source
>> new information for your free mart? Hint: magic is not a valid response
>
> You're sorely mistaken if you think the universe revolves around work
> and making
> a living. Money might disappear in the near future when we have
> nanotechnology or other revolutionary innovations which allow us to
> duplicate physical commodities as easily as bitstrings.

I strongly recommend that you don't hold your breath waiting for that
day to come.

From: sobriquet on
On 22 okt, 16:07, Bob Larter <bobbylar...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >> : activities. Because there is more than enough material wealth and
> >> : technological ingenuity that the production of basic necessities
> >> : (food, clothing, shelter and internet) can be fully automated.
>
> >> You've been reading too many utopian space cadet dime novels. Not even
> >> Ashmoe's wildest works went that far.
>
> >> An aside you've still not answered the question where you propose to source
> >> new information for your free mart?  Hint: magic is not a valid response
>
> > You're sorely mistaken if you think the universe revolves around work
> > and making
> > a living. Money might disappear in the near future when we have
> > nanotechnology or other revolutionary innovations which allow us to
> > duplicate physical commodities as easily as bitstrings.
>
> I strongly recommend that you don't hold your breath waiting for that

Money has already lost most of its relevance and significance, as just
about anything I'm interested in, is available for free online.
I'm legally allowed to download most things for personal use, as I pay
taxes on blank media in compensation for such copyright infringements.
Such taxes
are supposedly distributed amongst rightholders, but there is no
transparency in that system and I reckon it should be reformed to keep
up with the latest developments in information technology.