From: Mark Goodge on
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 21:21:58 +1300, Eric Stevens put finger to
keyboard and typed:

>On 18 Oct 2009 18:10:12 GMT, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>>
>>Did you READ those license agreements in detail to ensure that you are
>>fully in compliance? Did you make a backup of software that does not
>>allow for backups? Did you install the same software on two computers
>>without paying for two copies? Did you transfer music from one
>>machine to another without making sure that you had permission to do
>>so?
>
>You can't be a little bit pregnant. You either are or you aren't. It's
>the same with stealing. You either are or you aren't a thief. Your
>choice.

That's true, but there are degrees of theft. Stealing a doughnut does
not incur the same penalty as stealing a million dollars, for example.

However, this is rather missing the point, since copyright
infringement isn't theft. In most cases, it isn't even a criminal
offence - it's a matter of (civil) contract law. In contract law, the
amount of damages you can win for breach of contract by the other
party is dependent on the nature of the contract and the nature of the
breach.

In this particular case (which occurred in the UK, so UK law applies),
the amount the infringer has had to pay to Getty comprises the normal
commercial rate for using the image, plus Getty's costs in detecting
and pursuing the infringement, plus reasonable damages incurred by
Getty as a result of their loss of control over the image, plus
interest, plus court costs for both parties incurred as a result of
disputing (and losing) the case. Individually, none of these elements
are excessive, what makes the final payment seem so high is simply a
result of adding them all together.

Mark
--
Blog: http://mark.goodge.co.uk
Stuff: http://www.good-stuff.co.uk
From: sobriquet on
On 19 okt, 20:24, "NotMe" <m...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>[..misguided and deluded nonsense snipped..]

IPR is a figment of your lively imagination.
All people with any understanding of information technology and a
tight budget can simply download everything
for free and pay taxes in compensation for copyright infringement.
From: Ray Fischer on
Eric Stevens <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:
>On 18 Oct 2009 18:10:12 GMT, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>
>>Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex(a)attglobal.net> wrote:

>>>That's your opinion. The courts differ.
>>>
>>>As others have said - it's not unusual at all for fees to increase
>>>significantly when you do something wrong.
>>
>>Let's put this in concrete terms...
>>
>>You doubtless have music on your computer. Did you pay licensing fees
>>for EVERY bit of music? If not then you could be sued for $1000 (or
>>more) for each $0.90 song you didn't pay for. You could be sued for
>>thousands for each bit of software you didn't pay for.
>>
>>Is THAT justice?
>
>Yes.

Quite the goose-stepping fascist, aren't you?

>>Did you READ those license agreements in detail to ensure that you are
>>fully in compliance? Did you make a backup of software that does not
>>allow for backups? Did you install the same software on two computers
>>without paying for two copies? Did you transfer music from one
>>machine to another without making sure that you had permission to do
>>so?
>
>You can't be a little bit pregnant. You either are or you aren't.

Simple minds like to think in black and white terms.

> It's
>the same with stealing.

So you should be sent to prison for exceeding the speed limit?

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Ray Fischer on
Eric Stevens <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:
>rOn 18 Oct 2009 07:33:07 GMT, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>
>>NotMe <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>>>In my experience none of the judgments I've encounter (we prevailed) for
>>>copyright infringement were listed a fines. These are judgments basically
>>>for damages plus court cost and legal fees.
>>
>>It looks to me like it's well past damages and into punitive
>>maliciousness.
>
>'Punitive' is exactly the right word. It's to punish the thief for
>stealing.

By chopping off their hands.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Ray Fischer on
Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex(a)attglobal.net> wrote:
>Ray Fischer wrote:
>> Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex(a)attglobal.net> wrote:

>>> U.S. Copyright law.
>>
>> You're a stupid liar. Copyright LAW says nothing about justice.
>> It describes law.
>
>Justice is based entirely on the law.

You _must_ be a rightard idiot because it is only such people
who worship law above the people that law is supposed to serve.

>>> Completely unrelated.
>>
>> Run away, rightard.
>
>Nope.

Coward.