From: Eric Stevens on
On 20 Oct 2009 04:09:18 GMT, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:

>Eric Stevens <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:

>>>Demanding 10 times the usual fee for a low-res version of the licensable
>>>photo isn't ridiculous?
>>
>>Not when the guy tried to steal it for nothing.
>
>It must make it very easy for simple people like you to simply assume
>that other people are guilty.

In this case, Getty proved his claims in front of a judge.

Eric Stevens
From: sobriquet on
On 21 okt, 00:07, Eric Stevens <eric.stev...(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 04:03:44 -0700 (PDT), sobriquet
>

> <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On 20 okt, 06:19, Eric Stevens <eric.stev...(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:

> >> And how does the creator of the original work survive? Is he employed
> >> by the state?
>
> >> Eric Stevens
>
> >The state should provide an unconditional basic income (for food,
> >clothing, shelter and
> >internet), so people don't feel forced to waste their time in exchange
> >for money.
>
> From where does the state get the resources for the "unconditional
> basic income (for food, clothing, shelter and internet)"?

It's simply a matter of coming up with smart technology that can
create and maintain itself.
If you have one robot that can build a copy of itself from scratch,
you don't need any money to finance the production of an army of
robots, because they can build themselves and once they are build they
can produce things like basic housing, clothing, etc. as well as doing
all sorts of chores. The technology to do this is already available,
it's just a matter of a little technological innovation and we could
have mass-produced universally deployable robots that are as common as
cellphones or cars are today.

> >There are ample opportunities to let robots, machines and computers do
> >all of the work and
> >the few jobs that can't be automated yet can be done by people who are
> >willing to work for
> >a little extra luxury.
>
> Should they be paid, or is it morally acceptable to just take their
> work product?

If their product is not scarce, it's necessarily free. That doesn't
mean you can't sell it, but it's very moronic and silly to sell it.
You can also sell holy water, but obviously that's just as much of a
scam as selling bitstrings for anyone who has the ability to do some
independent critical thinking.
Besides, it's not necessarily a product they produce.. it might be a
service they provide.

From: Ray Fischer on
Eric Stevens <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:
> rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>>Eric Stevens <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:

>>>Not when the guy tried to steal it for nothing.
>>
>>It must make it very easy for simple people like you to simply assume
>>that other people are guilty.
>
>In this case, Getty proved his claims in front of a judge.

Which is wholly irrelevant since the judge didn't determine guilt or
innocence and wasn't even concerned with such things, only that the
defendant had used a photo that belonged to Getty and so should pay
Getty what Getty demanded.

If you're lucky you'll learn the difference between law and justice
the easy way and it won't cost you your freedom or money.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Eric Stevens on
On 21 Oct 2009 05:43:56 GMT, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:

>Eric Stevens <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:
>> rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:

>>>It must make it very easy for simple people like you to simply assume
>>>that other people are guilty.
>>
>>In this case, Getty proved his claims in front of a judge.
>
>Which is wholly irrelevant since the judge didn't determine guilt or
>innocence and wasn't even concerned with such things, only that the
>defendant had used a photo that belonged to Getty ...

i.e. he found that the defendant was guilty of infringing Getty's
copyright.

From: Ray Fischer on
Eric Stevens <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:
>On 21 Oct 2009 05:43:56 GMT, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>
>>Eric Stevens <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:

>>>In this case, Getty proved his claims in front of a judge.
>>
>>Which is wholly irrelevant since the judge didn't determine guilt or
>>innocence and wasn't even concerned with such things, only that the
>>defendant had used a photo that belonged to Getty ...
>
>i.e. he found that the defendant was guilty

Wrong yet again. Civil cases do not determine guilt.