From: sobriquet on
On 25 okt, 05:30, "Red E. Kilowatt" <SPAMT...(a)aww-faq.org> wrote:
> sobriquet wrote:
> > On 25 okt, 03:24, Walter Banks <wal...(a)bytecraft.com> wrote:
> >> Music and software piracy tracking has almost become an art form
>
> >> w..
>
> > Yeah, sort of like how the Nazis made an art form out of human rights
> > violations.
>
> Ooooh, the NAZI's. I'm invoking Goodwin's Law on this thread.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
> "...there is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet
> discussion forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is
> finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically "lost"
> whatever debate was in progress."
>
> Though I suppose it'll take more than that to put this thread out of its
> misery.
> --
> Red

Godwin is the most frequently employed cop out by nazis to silence a
discussion when the fascism in their opinion is exposed.
From: Alfred Molon on
In article <4ae26669$0$1624$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, Ray Fischer
says...
> >Do you believe that the thief,
>
> "Guilty until proven innocent".

Guilty because caught in flagrante delicto with the photo on his site.
--

Alfred Molon
On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 22:30:01 -0700 (PDT), sobriquet
<dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 25 okt, 06:11, rfisc...(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>> sobriquet �<dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >Once somebody has obtained a piece of software (regardless whether
>> >they bought
>> >it or downloaded it), they can create a duplicate for their friends
>> >out of thin air.
>> >They might be infringing copyright when people help each other out
>> >like that, but it's not
>> >theft, as nothing is being taken away, but rather, something is being
>> >added (another copy).
>>
>> Similarly, emptying your bank account and transferring the funds to
>> mine would not take anything away from you since only some numbers
>> would be changed.
>>
>> --
>> Ray Fischer � � � �
>> rfisc...(a)sonic.net �
>
>Likewise the government can create money out of thin air. They can
>print
>as much of it as they like, which can change the value of your money.
>So your money in the bank is just an abstract number and the value
>depends on many factors.
>
>Also, when you have money in the bank, the bank can suddenly go
>bankrupt and some or all your money can go up into thin air.
>So the moral of the story is that your money is not safe in the bank
>and it might be better to invest it in something that is more likely
>to retain it's value (like gold).
>Money is simply not a very secure investment. It's better to invest in
>education, as money can suddenly lose it's value (inflation) or go up
>in smoke when the financial system crashes.
>They can't take away your ideas ....

But you have already made clear that ideas of are no value as, as far
as you are concerned, people are free to take them away and make use
of them as they see fit. :-(

> ... or mental skills so easily (compared
>to taking away your property or affecting your financial situation).

Eric Stevens
From: sobriquet on
On 25 okt, 10:24, Eric Stevens <eric.stev...(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 19:23:58 -0700 (PDT), sobriquet
>

> <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On 25 okt, 00:59, Eric Stevens <eric.stev...(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:

> >> As you respect the right of people to own/control the use of their own
> >> work?
>
> >Tell me where I can find something about intellectual property in the
> >universal
> >declaration of human rights.
>
> >http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/
>
> Not very bright, are you?
>
> Try Article 17
>
>   "    *   (1) Everyone has the right to own property alone as well as
>                   in association with others.
>         * (2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his property."

That doesn't concern intellectual property. Besides, copyright
infringement
doesn't involve depriving people of their intellectual property. It
just involves
reproduction or distribution of information in a fashion that the
original creator
of the work doesn't agree with. But the act of copyright infringement
doesn't involve
depriving the original creator of his or her creation. They can keep a
copy of their creation in their possession as they publish their
creations and regardless of any copyright infringement that ensues,
that only affects published copies of the original creation and not
the original creation that remains in possession of its creator.

> >> Making a profit is merely becoming better off as a result of your own
> >> efforts. Once you cease doing this you have started dying.
>
> >> Eric Stevens
>
> >If your profit depends on immoral business practices, like resorting
> >to slavery or the exploitation of intellectual property, then becoming
> >better off happens to be the result of exploiting other peoples
> >efforts.
>
> So, according to you, someone is guilty of the exploitation of
> intellectual property if they wish to control the use of the
> intellectual property they have created. That's not a question: that's
> a statement.
>
> Don't tell me that's not what you mean. Up to now you have been
> assiduously trying to avoid giving a clear statement of what you mean
> but its become quite clear that you do not agree with the creator of
> intellectual property having any control over its subsequent use.

They might wish to control the universe.. that is irrelevant. Just
because they create
something, that doesn't imply they must necessarily remain in control
over their creation as they reproduce and distribute it. In fact, the
only real way to remain in control is not to publish something at all
and the next best alternative would be to come up with some kind of
protection.
If you sell something, it's no longer your property. Alternatively,
you can hire people so they work for you and then you can let them use
your property and you get to dictate how they can use it, as they work
for you. But you can't sell something and expect that you remain in
control with respect to what people are or aren't allowed to do with
the item you've sold them.

Imagine you go to the grocery store in the morning and they try to
sell you a bread with a userlicence that stipulates all sorts of crazy
limitations regarding how you are allowed to use the bread (e.g. only
being allowed to eat the bread in the morning between 8:00 and 10:00
in the morning). Most likely you would buy the bread and simply thrash
the licence that came with the bread as soon as you get home and use
the bread as you see fit.
Or imagine you buy a t-shirt and it comes with a userlicense that
stipulates the color of the pants you're supposed to wear in
combination with the t-shirt.
Does someone who create a t-shirt and sell it have the right to
dictate how the owner can use it and is a userlicense the sensible and
practical method to dictate such terms and conditions?

> >The freedom to make a profit should never allowed to come at the
> >expense of infringing upon the freedom of others, in a country where
> >human rights are respected/guaranteed by the government.
>
> You have come right round in a circle and shoved your head up your own
> anus.
>
> By means of patent and copyright legislation governments DO guarantee
> the rights of the inventors/creators to control the use of their
> intellectual property and it is only cockroaches such as you who want
> to exploit their intellectual property for your own advantage.
>
> Eric Stevens

Yeah, just like they guaranteed the rights of corporations in the past
to make a profit by means of slavery.
The government is just an extension of corporations and hence it's
obvious they are only concerned with corporate interests and they
couldn't care less about human rights.
From: sobriquet on
On 25 okt, 10:32, Eric Stevens <eric.stev...(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 22:30:01 -0700 (PDT), sobriquet
>

> <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >> Similarly, emptying your bank account and transferring the funds to
> >> mine would not take anything away from you since only some numbers
> >> would be changed.
>
> >> --
> >> Ray Fischer
> >> rfisc...(a)sonic.net
>
> >Likewise the government can create money out of thin air. They can
> >print
> >as much of it as they like, which can change the value of your money.
> >So your money in the bank is just an abstract number and the value
> >depends on many factors.
>
> >Also, when you have money in the bank, the bank can suddenly go
> >bankrupt and some or all your money can go up into thin air.
> >So the moral of the story is that your money is not safe in the bank
> >and it might be better to invest it in something that is more likely
> >to retain it's value (like gold).
> >Money is simply not a very secure investment. It's better to invest in
> >education, as money can suddenly lose it's value (inflation) or go up
> >in smoke when the financial system crashes.
> >They can't take away your ideas ....
>
> But you have already made clear that ideas of are no value as, as far
> as you are concerned, people are free to take them away and make use
> of them as they see fit.    :-(

Just because ideas don't have a monetary value (at least not in
digital form), that
doesn't mean they are useless or devoid of any value.
If you learn survival skills from Ray Mears or Bear Grylls and you get
lost in some remote forest, you might not be able to cash in on your
abilities, but they can sure come in handy in staying alive.