From: sobriquet on
On 20 okt, 06:19, Eric Stevens <eric.stev...(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:32:17 -0700 (PDT), sobriquet
>
> <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On 19 okt, 20:24, "NotMe" <m...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> >>[..misguided and deluded nonsense snipped..]
>
> >IPR is a figment of your lively imagination.
> >All people with any understanding of information technology and a
> >tight budget can simply download everything
> >for free and pay taxes in compensation for copyright infringement.
>
> And how does the creator of the original work survive? Is he employed
> by the state?
>
> Eric Stevens

The state should provide an unconditional basic income (for food,
clothing, shelter and
internet), so people don't feel forced to waste their time in exchange
for money.
There are ample opportunities to let robots, machines and computers do
all of the work and
the few jobs that can't be automated yet can be done by people who are
willing to work for
a little extra luxury.

Such an unconditional free income will ensure that people can always
follow their passion
and devote time to something they think is worthwhile and that's the
best way to motivate people
to contribute something to society.

Money has lost most of it's relevance and significance now that
culture can be digitized for the most part, since there is no sensible
way to associate money with information in digital form in a
meaningful way (given that the monetary value of an item is a measure
for its relative scarcity).
Money itself is just as much of a relic of the past as copyright.
From: J. Clarke on
sobriquet wrote:
> On 20 okt, 06:19, Eric Stevens <eric.stev...(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:32:17 -0700 (PDT), sobriquet
>>
>> <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> IPR is a figment of your lively imagination.
>>> All people with any understanding of information technology and a
>>> tight budget can simply download everything
>>> for free and pay taxes in compensation for copyright infringement.
>>
>> And how does the creator of the original work survive? Is he employed
>> by the state?
>>
>> Eric Stevens
>
> The state should provide an unconditional basic income (for food,
> clothing, shelter and
> internet), so people don't feel forced to waste their time in exchange
> for money.

And where does the money to pay for this unconditional basic income come
from?

> There are ample opportunities to let robots, machines and computers do
> all of the work and
> the few jobs that can't be automated yet can be done by people who are
> willing to work for
> a little extra luxury.

So where can I buy a robot plumber or a robot electrician or a robot
carpenter or a robot dentist or a robot motorcycle mechanic? Or are you
saying that a few people willing to work for a little extra luxury can
handle that work for the entire society?

> Such an unconditional free income will ensure that people can always
> follow their passion
> and devote time to something they think is worthwhile and that's the
> best way to motivate people
> to contribute something to society.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his need. Worked
real well for the Soviet Union and China. How old are you, about 19?

> Money has lost most of it's relevance and significance now that
> culture can be digitized for the most part, since there is no sensible
> way to associate money with information in digital form in a
> meaningful way (given that the monetary value of an item is a measure
> for its relative scarcity).
> Money itself is just as much of a relic of the past as copyright.

And yet it seems that many companies are making large amounts of it selling
digitized products, so perhaps there is something wrong with your
hypothesis.

From: sobriquet on
On 20 okt, 14:32, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.use...(a)cox.net> wrote:
> sobriquet wrote:
> > On 20 okt, 06:19, Eric Stevens <eric.stev...(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:

> >> And how does the creator of the original work survive? Is he employed
> >> by the state?
>
> >> Eric Stevens
>
> > The state should provide an unconditional basic income (for food,
> > clothing, shelter and
> > internet), so people don't feel forced to waste their time in exchange
> > for money.
>
> And where does the money to pay for this unconditional basic income come
> from?

If you have robots that can build and maintain themselves from
scratch, you don't need any money
to finance production costs. Such robots can produce and maintain
everything needed to provide
free food, housing, clothing, etc.
I'm talking about the basics, not a huge mansion with swimming pool
and 3 cars on the driveway.
More like a room with a bed and a desk so you have a roof over your
head and food in the fridge.

> > There are ample opportunities to let robots, machines and computers do
> > all of the work and
> > the few jobs that can't be automated yet can be done by people who are
> > willing to work for
> > a little extra luxury.
>
> So where can I buy a robot plumber or a robot electrician or a robot
> carpenter or a robot dentist or a robot motorcycle mechanic?  Or are you
> saying that a few people willing to work for a little extra luxury can
> handle that work for the entire society?

Robots are rapidly improving and soon they will be able to do anything
a human can
do, except more reliably, faster and better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHJJQ0zNNOM&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPoANTKo5kA&fmt=18

> > Such an unconditional free income will ensure that people can always
> > follow their passion
> > and devote time to something they think is worthwhile and that's the
> > best way to motivate people
> > to contribute something to society.
>
> From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.  Worked
> real well for the Soviet Union and China.  How old are you, about 19?

Nobody is suggesting that private property shouldn't be allowed
anymore. I'm not saying that everything is free
and that people should be allowed to grab whatever they fancy from any
shop. I'm just saying that it's not a crime to
duplicate and exchange bitstrings and that people can't claim
ownership of bitstrings, no matter how long these bitstrings are. Just
like you can't claim ownership of DNA sequences, even if you create
them yourself and you are the first person to create it.

I'm just saying *intellectual* private property is nonsense.
You can't put a bitstring on a CD and put it in a box and sell it.
Well, you can do that, and you can include a license, but nobody
will take the license serious when they can simply share and exchange
the bitstring
with other online collectors of bitstrings and the license stipulates
that it isn't allowed.

> > Money has lost most of it's relevance and significance now that
> > culture can be digitized for the most part, since there is no sensible
> > way to associate money with information in digital form in a
> > meaningful way (given that the monetary value of an item is a measure
> > for its relative scarcity).
> > Money itself is just as much of a relic of the past as copyright.
>
> And yet it seems that many companies are making large amounts of it selling
> digitized products, so perhaps there is something wrong with your
> hypothesis.

If they can, that doesn't detract from the fact that they can't
effectively prevent people from
accessing their products for free online via p2p networks.
That might just mean that there are sufficiently many people
interested in the product who have enough cash that they might as well
buy it as the most convenient way to obtain it (compared to
downloading it online for free which is often more of a hassle and
less reliable as far as quality goes). But when a product is
commercially available and a significant number of people purchase it,
that also means that people are going to share it with others for free
on p2p networks, probably mostly people who wouldn't have bought it if
they didn't have free access to it via p2p networks.
Just like the fact that being able to read books all day at the
library for free doesn't imply that nobody will ever buy any books
anymore.
Same with the internet. You can download virtually everything for free
online with a little effort, but that doesn't mean that nobody is
going to buy anything anymore.
But in the future it's likely that information will no longer be
bought and sold but shared freely, just like we are now having a free
discussion without any financial transactions taking place to make
this discussion possible.
We're just exchanging conflicting ideas, opinions and views, but it
would be silly to start selling and buying arguments or points of
view. Likewise it's equally silly and absurd to sell and buy
bitstrings.
You can do it, but it is extremely unpractical and it's a can of worms
in terms of the problems you create by taking this approach.
It's far more sensible to consider all bitstrings to be part of the
public domain. Then people can still sell bitstrings, but they can't
claim ownership of bitstrings (apart from the bitstrings they have on
media which are in their physical possession) as they get distributed.
They can only claim authorship and that might entitle them to some
recompense for their creative efforts in the form of an allotted share
of collected taxes imposed on online information (in proportion to the
relative popularity of their creations on the web).
From: Eric Stevens on
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 03:54:54 -0700 (PDT), sobriquet
<dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 20 okt, 06:12, Eric Stevens <eric.stev...(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 03:52:33 -0700 (PDT), sobriquet
>>

>> <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>> >You sound like a fascist cockroach.
>>
>> Calling me names will not alter the situation.
>>
>> Eric Stevens
>
>Suggesting people who share and exchange information are thieves isn't
>achieving anything either.

We are talking about a situation where somebody shared and exchanged
information which they had uplifted from the original creator with
either asking permission or telling them. This is very different from
voluntary sharing and exchange.

>So perhaps if you refrain from the thievery accusations, people like
>me will refrain from calling you names.

If you 'share' any of my images without asking me I will call you a
thief.

Eric Stevens
From: Eric Stevens on
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 04:03:44 -0700 (PDT), sobriquet
<dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 20 okt, 06:19, Eric Stevens <eric.stev...(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:32:17 -0700 (PDT), sobriquet
>>
>> <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> >IPR is a figment of your lively imagination.
>> >All people with any understanding of information technology and a
>> >tight budget can simply download everything
>> >for free and pay taxes in compensation for copyright infringement.
>>
>> And how does the creator of the original work survive? Is he employed
>> by the state?
>>
>> Eric Stevens
>
>The state should provide an unconditional basic income (for food,
>clothing, shelter and
>internet), so people don't feel forced to waste their time in exchange
>for money.

From where does the state get the resources for the "unconditional
basic income (for food, clothing, shelter and internet)"?

>There are ample opportunities to let robots, machines and computers do
>all of the work and
>the few jobs that can't be automated yet can be done by people who are
>willing to work for
>a little extra luxury.

Should they be paid, or is it morally acceptable to just take their
work product?