From: NoEinstein on
On Apr 2, 2:09 am, Timo Nieminen <t...(a)physics.uq.edu.au> wrote:

Dear Timo: You and Paul S., obviously, know what you are discussing,
so deeply. When I scan to the word... "drag" in a discussion of
corpuscles (light?), I must explain that the varying density ether is
composed of IOTAs, the smallest energy units. Those are polar and
have a tangential velocity of 'c'. In football practices, two opposed
automobile tires that rotate can be used to shoot our balls at the
same angle and velocity every time. The IOTAs act in the same way to
nurture light on its course. If light happens to be traveling faster
than 'c' (V = 'c' plus or minus the v of the source), then over enough
distance the IOTAs will slow down the faster light and speed-up slower
light. Observation of the heavens confirms those processes. —
NoEinstein —

From: Timo Nieminen on
On Apr 3, 4:00 am, NoEinstein <noeinst...(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On Apr 2, 2:09 am, Timo Nieminen <t...(a)physics.uq.edu.au> wrote:
>
> Dear Timo:  You and Paul S., obviously, know what you are discussing,
> so deeply.  When I scan to the word... "drag" in a discussion of
> corpuscles (light?), I must explain that the varying density ether is
> composed of IOTAs, the smallest energy units.

No, completely off-base. If you bothered to actually read the
discussion - where it is quite clear from the context - this is about
drag on moving bodies due to a "gravitational aether" (i.e., le Sage-
like gravity). Read what was written, or even better, read the
reference: Edwards, M.R., Pushing Gravity: New Perspectives on Le
Sage's Theory of Gravitation, Montreal: C. Roy Keys Inc.. If you feel
that going to a library is beneath your dignity or something like
that, you can always try wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Sage%27s_theory_of_gravitation

If you're just going to post entirely irrelevant repetitions of your
screed that we've already seen over and over and over, do consider the
standards you ask - even demand - of other posters and apply them to
your own behaviour.

> Those are polar and
> have a tangential velocity of 'c'.  In football practices, two opposed
> automobile tires that rotate can be used to shoot our balls at the
> same angle and velocity every time.  The IOTAs act in the same way to
> nurture light on its course.  If light happens to be traveling faster
> than 'c' (V = 'c' plus or minus the v of the source), then over enough
> distance the IOTAs will slow down the faster light and speed-up slower
> light.  Observation of the heavens confirms those processes.  —

.... and you might find it worthwhile to discover what "confirms" means
when talking about science.

Think about it: your potential contributions to science, by your own
admission, exceed those made by any 10 PhDs put together (presumably
even the 10 most highly contributing of all time), but acceptance has
not been immediate. Clearly, this can't be through any deficiency in
the strength of your contributions, so it must lie only in the
presentation and communication. It doesn't make much impression on you
when somebody just bleats out their theory repetitively, merely
proclaiming loudly that it is correct, does it? So why would it make
much impression on a read when you do the same? Especially if, since
the average reader, even if objectively quite intelligent, still falls
far short of your marvellous intellect and fails to see the self-
evident truth of your statements that is so clear to you. Present your
"science truths" clearly, with the strong scientific support that must
surely be possible, given their truth. In particular, learn how one
should _not_ present science. Try the work already mentioned in this
discussion: Babbage, Charles (1830). Reflections on the Decline of
Science in England, and on Some of Its Causes. It's available for free
on gutenberg, so you don't even need to go to a library.

Wishing you all the luck that your science truths deserve,
Timo
From: spudnik on
why don't you, two, just say,
I don't want to talk about it !?!

I think, anyway, that a case might be made
for blaming Einstein, for recreating the cult
of Newton's "action at a distance" of gravity,
via the re-adumbration of his dead-as-
a-doornail-or-Schroedinger's-cat corpuscle,
"the phtono." well, and/or "the aether,"
necessitated by "the vacuum."

thus:
yeah; the funny thing was, the Earth of Gauss and
of Aristarchus was a part of some cosmography. (you,
however, may be in your own me-verse; so,
how does Shroedinger's cat smell, these days , thereat ?-)

--Light: A History!
http://21stcenturysciencetech.com

--NASCAR rules on rotary engines!
http://white-smoke.wetpaint.com
From: Timo Nieminen on
On Apr 4, 4:14 am, Paul Stowe <theaether...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 1, 11:09 pm, Timo Nieminen <t...(a)physics.uq.edu.au> wrote:
> > On Apr 2, 12:59 pm, Paul Stowe <theaether...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > G and heating are inputs into the choice of parameters then, and
> > agreement between "predicted" G and heating and observed G and heating
> > are no proof at all of success.
>
> No, G is not an input into heating.  It does not appear in the
> equation, heating is a single body problem.  Only Qu appears and the
> propagation speed of the LeSagian field.  Thus, using c for that
> propagation speed AND a known net heat flow output one can solve for
> Qu.
> Since c is
> light speed it isn't free either!

Ah, you use v = c; I didn't know that. Thanks, this is a useful
clarification.

Why? Isn't c the speed of waves in the EM aether? If the le Sage-
aether is distinct from the EM aether, it would be a remarkable
coincidence, and if they are the same aether, it looks at first glance
like this assumption would break EM propagation.

I wanted to do a quick calculation of heating, so looked at your
numbers:
> > > the mass attenuation coefficient [u] (m^2/kg) is ~3.147E-06. The
> > > momentum flux (Q) is ~6.74E+00 kg/m-sec^2.
Are these correct? Given the typical density of matter around here, is
this compatible with
> > > The 'linear attenuation coefficient is on the order of 1E-20 1/m,

As I understand it, the intercepted momentum flux, if completely
transferred to some object, gives the maximum force possible, if there
was complete shielding on the other side. So, the maximum
gravitational force on an object (presumably super-dense) of some
given cross-sectional area. Meanwhile, an object of "normal" mass and
density, completely shielded from one side, experiences a force of
Qu*mass. For gravitational attraction, the fluxes from each side,
accounting for shadowing are Q(1-u*term dependent of mass and geometry
of shading object) from the shady side, and Q from the other side, for
a net transfer of momentum of Qu^2 * f(m1,r)*m2.

What have I gotten wrong here? From the above, I have maximum force
possible per kg is only Qu = 2e-5N, which is unrealistically low.
Meanwhile, for a block a steel, the linear attenuation coefficient
would be 0.02.

> > G, drag, heating, and aberration are straightforward enough,
> > physically. I don't remember anything about "fling/back-action" from
> > Edwards - is this in there? (It's been some time since I read it.) A
> > reference or quick explanation would be good. In particular, why would
> > this "cancel" drag for something in an orbit. Also not obvious to me
> > why drag would cancel aberration.
>
> Even in the GR analog of the 'rubber sheet' there is 'back-action'.

Frame-dragging? Gravito-magnetism, which can be derived in the weak-
field limit by assuming propagation at c and lack of aberration. So,
naturally enough, cancels aberration. If le Sage back-action + drag
cancel aberration, then le Sage back-action is not the same,
quantitatively, as gravitomagnetism. How does it do with tests so far
performed for rotational frame-dragging?

> In a closed loop path (like an orbit)
> the field being pushed ahead of the moving mass (as a result of the
> drag action) induces standard vorticity in the field (like a swizzle
> stick in a coffe cup) causing the field to acquire a spin, which will
> in turn, tend to reduces the effect of the future forward drag.  (If
> you let go of the swizzle stick after spinning it a few times the
> stick will continue to circulate, carried along with the vorticity of
> the field). That is the back-action I am referring to.

OK, sounds like this requires further assumptions about the
interaction of le Sage corpuscles with each other. Perhaps a mean free
path is sufficient. That this is suggested as occuring for orbits
within the solar system is a big red STOP sign. The range of the
inverse square law depends on the mean free path (since these
interactions will affect the shadow, which gives Newton in the weak
absorption, straight-line propagation limit), while this back-action
looks like it needs a much smaller mean free path.

> > > Good questions.  Mean speed, c...  I doubt that a mass value is
> > > relevant.  Momentum, yes.  Cross-sectional area, yes.  Mean free path,
> > > yes.  All things need more work.  But, who is willing to even look,
> > > much less work on such?
>
> > Why isn't mass relevant? Is unknown physics required here? Hopefully
> > not, since all that would be achieved would be to move the unknown
> > from an open and acknowledged position to a hidden place.
>
> No, but I doubt that one can ever stop the aetheron to measure it rest
> mass.

Mean speed c + temperature tells you mass. (Which would be rest mass,
if we have Newtonian mechanics.)

> > Limits on mean free path result from the distance over which the
> > inverse square law is seen to work well. This gives a limit of size,
> > assuming Newtonian mechanics. Not fixed, only restricted by a lower
> > bound (mean free path) and upper bound (size, for some number density
> > of corpuscles).
>
> There is a difference between an attenuation mean free path and a
> interaction mean free path.

Yes. Attenuation length tells you about shielding, MFP tells you about
range of the inverse square law. One is about interaction between
corpuscles and matter, the other is about interaction between
corpuscles.

> They probably are in equilibrium.  This is where unification concepts
> become important.  In my model expanded upon Maxwell's, charge is the
> fundamental divergence of the medium.  This is an oscillation around
> the mean, a linear harmonic effect.  Thus it has a base frequency
> equal to the value of charge (e) divded by the mass (m) of the
> oscillator.  Thus, in the case of a lowly electron, that is e/m = 1.76E
> +11 Hz (nu).  Then,
>
>    E = h(nu)
>
> Now what is the thermal equivalence to this energy?
>
>     n(nu) = 3kT
>
> Where k is Boltzmann's contant
>
> Thus,
>
>    T = h(nu)/3k = 2.8 Degrees K

Why 3kT? Why not (1/2)kT per degree of freedom, as usual?

> > > Wrong...
>
> > Le Sage predicts gravitational redshift? Details, please. Deflection
> > of light? Details, please. A reference will suffice. If it predicts
> > them, give details. "Wrong" is insufficient.
>
> First off, LeSage's model yield's Newton's equation and that is known
> to properly account for red-shift.  Second, given the very nature of
> the LeSagian field light bending should be obvious.  No-one, not in
> articles or herein (Including Feynman or Steve Carlip) has questioned
> this aspect.

How is Newtonian gravitation known to account for gravitational
redshift? Given a wave originating within a gravity well, and climbing
out, where do the "extra" oscillations go, as the frequency falls as
the wave climbs? Unlike Doppler shift due to motion away from the
source, where the extra oscillations go into the increasing distance
between source and reception point, the source and receiver remain at
the same positions, but there is an observed frequency change.

"Should be obvious" isn't a very good explanation. It should come out
of the basic assumptions, quantitatively, or at least come out of the
basic theory + a new special parameter that's introduced to model it.
If it's just hand-waved, without quantitification, as "obvious", it
isn't very convincing.

(Where did Feynman write about le Sage-like theories?)

> > > No, just a kinetic sea of aetherons, no fields around the aetherons,
> > > no field effects between them.  Just a mean free path and their
> > > momentum.  These in turn give rise to thing like Maxwell's vortices,
> > > white noise, etc.
>
> > How? This doesn't arise in kinetic theory without long-range forces
> > between molecules. You're not talking about ideal gas behaviour here,
> > or even a hard-shere gas.
>
> Well this is the very first I've heard of this.

The viscosity of a dilute hard-sphere gas is 2 * sqrt(mkT/pi)/
(3*pi*cross-section). This goes back to Maxwell (I think in the form
viscosity is proportional to sqrt(mT)/cross-section).

Elastic collisions means that no energy is transferred to the internal
energy of each atom/molecule; you still have energy transfer to the
internal energy of the gas.

You want superfluid behaviour from a kinetic theory? You need to put
in more than just elastic contact-collisions; you need long-range
interactions.

If this is the first you've heard of this, time to study kinetic
theory. (This particular topic isn't covered very well in typical
courses. It's beyond ideal gas, so it's too complex for the general
introductory courses, and stat mech courses focus on thermodynamic
properties, not physical properties, and condensed matter courses
focus on condensed matter, not dilute gasses. Perhaps a good start
would be with Maxwell's original papers? He doesn't give the details
in "Theory of heat", only a brief qualitative discussion.)

> In fact, the perfect
> gas (i.e. perfect fluid) is, by its very definition, inviscous.  In
> that model only perfect elastisity is assumed.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_fluid

This "perfect fluid" is a theoretical idealisation, on a par with
inextensible strings and frictionless tables, not something that
results from basic theory. It's the next step up in complexity from
"dust" (also used to model matter in GR), which lacks pressure.

> If these do not predict long range interactions GR is dead :)

Why? It's a simple idealised model to include matter in GR without
including the complexity of real matter.

> > More than that, we don't have rigid billiard-balls anywhere else to
> > use as a model - this is only an approximation of the behaviour of
> > real observed particles.
>
> So?

So in the days when much less was known about matter, when a common
working model of matter as rigid bodies was not only used, but assumed
to perhaps even be true, a rigid billiard-ball model of atoms made
sense. After all, that would make atoms just like little versions of
bulk macroscopic matter.

Now, when we know the limitations and approximations inherent in rigid
body models of macroscopic matter, it's clear that assuming billiard-
ball models for microscopic matter involves hypothesising the
existence of objects with properties completely unlike the properties
of anything we observe.

It's a HUGE assumption. It's an un-natural assumption (in that we
_don't_ see this type of thing in nature).

> > > Good questions, ones that are in need of answers.  If one wanted to be
> > > sarcastic they could say I'll ask god the next time I see him...
>
> > So, these must remain unknown assumptions? We assume that aether-atoms
> > have very special behaviour, not seen anywhere else at all, and think
> > that this answers questions instead of creating new ones?
>
> Of course!  Why on Earth would think otherwise?

I don't see why inventing numerous special assumptions, unknown
properties, etc., that can't be measured answers questions. At most,
it hides the questions, by moving them away from experimental access.

> > > 8.854E-12 kg/m^3 (z)
>
> > A remarkably coincident number, given that the other place this occurs
> > in electromagnetics, in conventional classical or quantum
> > electrodynamics, the numerical value depends on the choice of units
> > that have nothing to do with mass or distance.
>
> > Can you justify this assumption?
>
> Seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound
>
> The propagation speed in any medium is related directly to it
> compressibility (u, the inverse of which is called [M]odulus) and mass
> density (z).  Thus,
>
> c^2 = 1/uz = M/z
>
> For the aether medium in SI density (z) is called permittivity.  The
> compressibility (u) permeability.  Then standard equation applies,
>
> c^2 = uz
>
> Ochkam's Razor, KIS and all that jazz...

All you're doing is drawing an analogy between v = sqrt(k/rho) for
sound, and c = sqrt((1/mu)/epsilon) for light. To claim that the KIS
solution is to claim that epsilon _is_ mu is nonsensical - the units
are wrong. In Gaussian units, we have e0 = 1, so does this mean that
the mass density of aether is 1 (1 what? g/cm^3?) is Gaussian units,
but something else if we choose to use SI units?

> > (I didn't ask this one clearly enough - what is the bulk average
> > velocity of the aether-atoms?)
>
> c, light speed as with any medium.

Not "as with any medium". In what "any" medium do we see the mean
particle speed being the same as the speed of waves in the medium?

--
Timo
From: Paul Stowe on
On Apr 3, 3:56 pm, Timo Nieminen <t...(a)physics.uq.edu.au> wrote:
> On Apr 4, 4:14 am, Paul Stowe <theaether...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 1, 11:09 pm, Timo Nieminen <t...(a)physics.uq.edu.au> wrote:
> > > On Apr 2, 12:59 pm, PaulStowe<theaether...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > Since c is light speed it isn't free either!
>
> Ah, you use v = c; I didn't know that. Thanks, this is a useful
> clarification.
>
> Why? Isn't c the speed of waves in the EM aether? If the le Sage-
> aether is distinct from the EM aether, ...

it not, thus the comment about KIS & unification...

> ... it would be a remarkable coincidence, and if they are the same
> aether, ...

to me (and others) it would be more contrived and convoluted if they
we not the same medium.

> ... it looks at first glance like this assumption would break EM
> propagation.

Not at all.

> I wanted to do a quick calculation of heating, so looked at your
> numbers:
>
> "the mass attenuation coefficient [u] (m^2/kg) is ~3.147E-06. The
> "momentum flux (Q) is ~6.74E+00 kg/m-sec^2."
>
> Are these correct? Given the typical density of matter around here, is
> this compatible with

> As I understand it, the intercepted momentum flux, if completely
> transferred to some object, gives the maximum force possible, if there
> was complete shielding on the other side. So, the maximum
> gravitational force on an object (presumably super-dense) of some
> given cross-sectional area. Meanwhile, an object of "normal" mass and
> density, completely shielded from one side, experiences a force of
> Qu*mass. For gravitational attraction, the fluxes from each side,
> accounting for shadowing are Q(1-u*term dependent of mass and geometry
> of shading object) from the shady side, and Q from the other side, for
> a net transfer of momentum of Qu^2 * f(m1,r)*m2.

In the case of heating it's power flux, not momentum flux. The power
flux (W) is Qc/4pi => ~1.6E+08 Watts/m^2. Then for any body w = W(2GM/
rc^2), conbining all 'constants' we have (2WG/c^2)(M/r). Thus,

k = (2WG/c^2) ~= 2.38E-19 m/sec^3 and,

w = kM/r

Where M & r are the mass and radius of the body.

Then,

w = W - W'

where W is as defined above and W' the amount that makes it out.
Then,

w = W(1 - e^-2lr)

Now, solve for l... (the linear attenuation coefficient)

> What have I gotten wrong here? From the above, I have maximum force
> possible per kg is only Qu = 2e-5N, which is unrealistically low.
> Meanwhile, for a block a steel, the linear attenuation coefficient
> would be 0.02.

See above...

> > > G, drag, heating, and aberration are straightforward enough,
> > > physically. I don't remember anything about "fling/back-action" from
> > > Edwards - is this in there? (It's been some time since I read it.) A
> > > reference or quick explanation would be good. In particular, why would
> > > this "cancel" drag for something in an orbit. Also not obvious to me
> > > why drag would cancel aberration.
>
> > Even in the GR analog of the 'rubber sheet' there is 'back-action'.

> Frame-dragging? Gravito-magnetism, which can be derived in the weak-
> field limit by assuming propagation at c and lack of aberration. So,
> naturally enough, cancels aberration. If le Sage back-action + drag
> cancel aberration, then le Sage back-action is not the same,
> quantitatively, as gravitomagnetism. How does it do with tests so far
> performed for rotational frame-dragging?

See my article in Edwards book on the dynamic effects in LeSage
models. RFD is discussed. It should, again, be obvious that it would
occur in this type of model.

> > In a closed loop path (like an orbit)
> > the field being pushed ahead of the moving mass (as a result of the
> > drag action) induces standard vorticity in the field (like a swizzle
> > stick in a coffe cup) causing the field to acquire a spin, which will
> > in turn, tend to reduces the effect of the future forward drag. (If
> > you let go of the swizzle stick after spinning it a few times the
> > stick will continue to circulate, carried along with the vorticity of
> > the field). That is the back-action I am referring to.
>
> OK, sounds like this requires further assumptions about the
> interaction of le Sage corpuscles with each other. Perhaps a mean free
> path is sufficient. That this is suggested as occuring for orbits
> within the solar system is a big red STOP sign. The range of the
> inverse square law depends on the mean free path (since these
> interactions will affect the shadow, which gives Newton in the weak
> absorption, straight-line propagation limit), while this back-action
> looks like it needs a much smaller mean free path.

Sigh, in perfectly elastic collisions, along any linear path, does it
matter to a particle's momentum if encounters no collision or a
billion? But it does matter however to the field's granularity. IOW,
the 1/r^2 is due to the attenuation mean free path NOT! the
interaction mean free path.

> > > Why isn't mass relevant? Is unknown physics required here? Hopefully
> > > not, since all that would be achieved would be to move the unknown
> > > from an open and acknowledged position to a hidden place.
>
> > No, but I doubt that one can ever stop the aetheron to measure it rest
> > mass.
>
> Mean speed c + temperature tells you mass. (Which would be rest mass,
> if we have Newtonian mechanics.)

It's momentum divided by c would give you a calculated value also.
But, like the photon, if you can't stop it and actually measure it do
you want to count it???

> > > Limits on mean free path result from the distance over which the
> > > inverse square law is seen to work well. This gives a limit of size,
> > > assuming Newtonian mechanics. Not fixed, only restricted by a lower
> > > bound (mean free path) and upper bound (size, for some number density
> > > of corpuscles).
>
> > There is a difference between an attenuation mean free path and a
> > interaction mean free path.
>
> Yes. Attenuation length tells you about shielding, MFP tells you about
> range of the inverse square law. One is about interaction between
> corpuscles and matter, the other is about interaction between
> corpuscles.

Not in an inviscous media.

> > They probably are in equilibrium. This is where unification concepts
> > become important. In my model expanded upon Maxwell's, charge is the
> > fundamental divergence of the medium. This is an oscillation around
> > the mean, a linear harmonic effect. Thus it has a base frequency
> > equal to the value of charge (e) divded by the mass (m) of the
> > oscillator. Thus, in the case of a lowly electron, that is e/m = 1.76E
> > +11 Hz (nu). Then,
>
> > E = h(nu)
>
> > Now what is the thermal equivalence to this energy?
>
> > n(nu) = 3kT
>
> > Where k is Boltzmann's contant
>
> > Thus,
>
> > T = h(nu)/3k = 2.8 Degrees K
>
> Why 3kT? Why not (1/2)kT per degree of freedom, as usual?

Typically it's 3/2kT but, 1/2mv^2 = 3/2kT => mv^2 = 3kT...

> > > Le Sage predicts gravitational redshift? Details, please. Deflection
> > > of light? Details, please. A reference will suffice. If it predicts
> > > them, give details. "Wrong" is insufficient.
>
> > First off, LeSage's model yield's Newton's equation and that is known
> > to properly account for red-shift. Second, given the very nature of
> > the LeSagian field light bending should be obvious. No-one, not in
> > articles or herein (Including Feynman or Steve Carlip) has questioned
> > this aspect.
>
> How is Newtonian gravitation known to account for gravitational
> redshift? Given a wave originating within a gravity well, and climbing
> out, where do the "extra" oscillations go, as the frequency falls as
> the wave climbs? Unlike Doppler shift due to motion away from the
> source, where the extra oscillations go into the increasing distance
> between source and reception point, the source and receiver remain at
> the same positions, but there is an observed frequency change.

In the LeSage process gravity is the result of pressure gradient.
Pressure/density gradients results in changes in wave speed. Just
like GR.

> "Should be obvious" isn't a very good explanation. It should come out
> of the basic assumptions, quantitatively, or at least come out of the
> basic theory + a new special parameter that's introduced to model it.
> If it's just hand-waved, without quantitification, as "obvious", it
> isn't very convincing.

But it does, that what's meant by 'should be obvious' from the very
process that is being modeled and described.

> (Where did Feynman write about le Sage-like theories?)

"In 1965 Richard Feynman examined the Fatio/Lesage mechanism,
primarily as an example of an attempt to explain a "complicated"
physical law (in this case, Newton's inverse-square law of
gravity)
in terms of simpler primitive operations without the use of
complex
mathematics, and also as an example of a failed theory. He notes
that the mechanism of "bouncing particles" reproduces the
inverse-square force law and that "the strangeness of the
mathematical relation will be very much reduced", but then notes
that the scheme "does not work", because of the drag it predicts
would be experienced by moving bodies, "so that is the end of
that
theory".[59]"

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Sage's_theory_of_gravitation

and, Feynman, R. P. (1995), Feynman Lectures on Gravitation, Addison-
Wesley, pp. 23–28
Feynman, R. P. (1967), The Character of Physical Law, The 1964
Messenger Lectures, Cambridge, Mass.: Massachusetts Institute of
Technology, pp. 37–39, ISBN 0-262-56003-8

http://openlibrary.org/b/OL14662971M/second-order_accurate_kinetic-theory-based_method_for_inviscid_compressible_flows

> You want superfluid behaviour from a kinetic theory? You need to put
> in more than just elastic contact-collisions; you need long-range
> interactions.

Can you provide a reference?

> If this is the first you've heard of this, time to study kinetic
> theory. (This particular topic isn't covered very well in typical
> courses. It's beyond ideal gas, so it's too complex for the general
> introductory courses, and stat mech courses focus on thermodynamic
> properties, not physical properties, and condensed matter courses
> focus on condensed matter, not dilute gasses. Perhaps a good start
> would be with Maxwell's original papers? He doesn't give the details
> in "Theory of heat", only a brief qualitative discussion.)

Maxwell's model was an inviscid fluid model.

> > > More than that, we don't have rigid billiard-balls anywhere else to
> > > use as a model - this is only an approximation of the behaviour of
> > > real observed particles.
>
> > So?
>
> So in the days when much less was known about matter, when a common
> working model of matter as rigid bodies was not only used, but assumed
> to perhaps even be true, a rigid billiard-ball model of atoms made
> sense. After all, that would make atoms just like little versions of
> bulk macroscopic matter.

But, we're not talking about matter, we're talking about physical
models.

> Now, when we know the limitations and approximations inherent in rigid
> body models of macroscopic matter, it's clear that assuming billiard-
> ball models for microscopic matter involves hypothesising the
> existence of objects with properties completely unlike the properties
> of anything we observe.
>
> It's a HUGE assumption. It's an un-natural assumption (in that we
> _don't_ see this type of thing in nature).

Yes, we do...

> > > So, these must remain unknown assumptions? We assume that aether-atoms
> > > have very special behaviour, not seen anywhere else at all, and think
> > > that this answers questions instead of creating new ones?
>
> > Of course! Why on Earth would one think otherwise?
>
> I don't see why inventing numerous special assumptions, unknown
> properties, etc., that can't be measured answers questions. At most,
> it hides the questions, by moving them away from experimental access.

Huh?

> > > A remarkably coincident number, given that the other place this occurs
> > > in electromagnetics, in conventional classical or quantum
> > > electrodynamics, the numerical value depends on the choice of units
> > > that have nothing to do with mass or distance.
>
> > > Can you justify this assumption?
>
> > Seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound
>
> > The propagation speed in any medium is related directly to it
> > compressibility (u, the inverse of which is called [M]odulus) and mass
> > density (z). Thus,
>
> > c^2 = 1/uz = M/z
>
> > For the aether medium in SI density (z) is called permittivity. The
> > compressibility (u) permeability. Then standard equation applies,
>
> > c^2 = 1/uz
>
> > Ochkam's Razor, KIS and all that jazz...
>
> All you're doing is drawing an analogy between v = sqrt(k/rho) for
> sound, and c = sqrt((1/mu)/epsilon) for light. To claim that the KIS
> solution is to claim that epsilon _is_ mu is nonsensical - the units
> are wrong.

Not in Maxwell's model.

> In Gaussian units, we have e0 = 1, so does this mean that
> the mass density of aether is 1 (1 what? g/cm^3?) is Gaussian units,
> but something else if we choose to use SI units?

The Gaussian system 'assumes' that the constant of proportionality of
Coulomb's law is unitless. It then pushes any units that it might
have artifically into the charges. This, as is well known, results in
irrational units of charge in this system. This should have been a
BIG RED FLAG that the system was flawed. But, since we had no clue
what charge was, anything could be assigned to it as long as the
resulting system was internally self consistent.

> > > (I didn't ask this one clearly enough - what is the bulk average
> > > velocity of the aether-atoms?)
>
> > c, light speed as with any medium.
>
> Not "as with any medium". In what "any" medium do we see the mean
> particle speed being the same as the speed of waves in the medium?

Well, IIRC the mean speed = propagation velocity since the only way
for such to occur IS by transmission by said particles, but I'll
review my references and perhaps so third party wants to chime in.

> --
> Timo

Paul Stowe