From: NoEinstein on
On Apr 9, 11:25 am, "Ken S. Tucker" <dynam...(a)vianet.on.ca> wrote:

Dear Ken: If you wish to comment to me, do so, to me, not to Timo.
I'm glad that I've answered a few of your questions. What are those,
specifically? Indeed, there are 'other' explanations for most of
science. The strength of my New Science is due to the fact that I
didn't lock-in any ideas for explaining the causes and effects until
I’ve checked to see what effects any 'law' of nature would have on the
rest of nature. The only cause and effect which seems to explain the
entire Universe is: "Varying ether flow and density." Everything that
is… is due to the energy of the ether; the varying concentrations of
that energy; and the flow of that energy. Such an understanding is my
biggest contribution to True Science! — NoEinstein —

From: Timo Nieminen on
On Apr 10, 12:31 am, "Ken S. Tucker" <dynam...(a)vianet.on.ca> wrote:

> Something I enjoyed was using a little electric powered
> toy car, allow me to provide the 'menu'.
[cut]
> Bright students appreciate the unit conversations
> and the scaling, if ya can get a bit of time in a
> gymnasium it's good fun.

Nice exercise. Very good for engineering students in particular. Do
you include drag (i.e., air resistance) in the scaling?

Wouldn't have fit in the course I was teaching (a bridging course,
basically a super-quick coverage of high school physics), would take
too much time and would only make sense at the very end (after
mechanics and DC circuits had all been covered). Unless one re-
arranges the course, does this kind of exercise at the very start, and
then attaches the subsequent material to it. Very concrete and
connected to reality. Some students will love it, some will hate it -
it would be a different-from-usual course and inspire strong
reactions, both good and bad. Some students would think they're only
learning about the mechanics of toy cars, not mechanics in general -
the reverse of the more common thinking they're only learning about
the mechanics of fictitious box-shaped objects that only live in free-
body diagrams, not in the real world.

I'd always do the Bernoulli bottle, plastic drink bottle with hole in
side. From Bernoulli, predict the speed of the outflow. From the
projectile motion of the water squirting out onto the table, find the
flow speed from measurement of the horizontal range. That's the basic
part of the exercise. The advanced part is to ask why these two values
aren't the same.

--
Timo
From: Ken S. Tucker on
On Apr 9, 2:38 pm, Timo Nieminen <t...(a)physics.uq.edu.au> wrote:
> On Apr 10, 12:31 am, "Ken S. Tucker" <dynam...(a)vianet.on.ca> wrote:
>

> > Something I enjoyed was using a little electric powered
> > toy car, allow me to provide the 'menu'.
> [cut]
> > Bright students appreciate the unit conversations
> > and the scaling, if ya can get a bit of time in a
> > gymnasium it's good fun.
>
> Nice exercise. Very good for engineering students in particular. Do
> you include drag (i.e., air resistance) in the scaling?

Ha-ha, scaling Drag Coefficient (?), no. I've worked with
scaling aerodynamic models, but that's complicated, if your
serious I'm happy to discuss it though.

> Wouldn't have fit in the course I was teaching (a bridging course,
> basically a super-quick coverage of high school physics), would take
> too much time and would only make sense at the very end (after
> mechanics and DC circuits had all been covered). Unless one re-
> arranges the course, does this kind of exercise at the very start, and
> then attaches the subsequent material to it. Very concrete and
> connected to reality. Some students will love it, some will hate it -
> it would be a different-from-usual course and inspire strong
> reactions, both good and bad. Some students would think they're only
> learning about the mechanics of toy cars, not mechanics in general -
> the reverse of the more common thinking they're only learning about
> the mechanics of fictitious box-shaped objects that only live in free-
> body diagrams, not in the real world.

IMO, a big weakness among phyicists is sliding through units.
That's why an intro to Volts x Current = Power (Watts) to HP
and to Force x velocity , (1 HP = 550 foot pounds/sec) and so
on is worth knowing, (ok a yawner), but later on is dimensional
analysis.
Mostly people (scientists) focus on energy and momentum, and
power and action are sidelined.

> I'd always do the Bernoulli bottle, plastic drink bottle with hole in
> side. From Bernoulli, predict the speed of the outflow. From the
> projectile motion of the water squirting out onto the table, find the
> flow speed from measurement of the horizontal range. That's the basic
> part of the exercise. The advanced part is to ask why these two values
> aren't the same.

I've always found that one tough.

> Timo

Cheers
Ken
From: NoEinstein on
On Apr 9, 8:58 pm, "Ken S. Tucker" <dynam...(a)vianet.on.ca> wrote:

Dear Ken: I minored in structural engineering within my architecture
major at Clemson. Anything to do with forces and their effects, was
of great interest. When I tried to make heads-or-tails out of the...
Mechanics chapters in physics, there were so many inconsistencies that
I realized the text books... and the professors, were screwed up, not
me. Decades later, as I developed my New Science (that explains the
basics of the entire Universe!) I realized, as you apparently have,
that physicists use the "units" of math while often failing to
understand what the apt equations should be. "Horsepower" is a good
example: A single (typical) horse, as was used to haul coal from
mines, could lift 550 pounds, presumably, with a 'frictionless’
pulley. Two horses could lift 1,100 pounds, etc. The POWER of a
horse has nothing to do with TIME at all! It only has to do with the
FORCE that a horse can apply.

Work is the "useful" application of a force, against an equal
resistance, which moves some object or mechanism, such as a spring, so
much distance in the desired direction. The TIME required to move the
object has no effect on either the force, nor the work done! So, the
correct definition of horsepower is, simply: One horsepower is equal
to a force of 550 pounds!

Weight, force, energy, momentum and power all have the units POUNDS.
Work is force x distance moved in the desired direction. People
should understand things that simple. — NoEinstein —

From: Timo Nieminen on
On Apr 10, 10:58 am, "Ken S. Tucker" <dynam...(a)vianet.on.ca> wrote:
> On Apr 9, 2:38 pm, Timo Nieminen <t...(a)physics.uq.edu.au> wrote:
> > On Apr 10, 12:31 am, "Ken S. Tucker" <dynam...(a)vianet.on.ca> wrote:
>
> > > Something I enjoyed was using a little electric powered
> > > toy car, allow me to provide the 'menu'.
> > [cut]
> > > Bright students appreciate the unit conversations
> > > and the scaling, if ya can get a bit of time in a
> > > gymnasium it's good fun.
>
> > Nice exercise. Very good for engineering students in particular. Do
> > you include drag (i.e., air resistance) in the scaling?
>
> Ha-ha, scaling Drag Coefficient (?), no. I've worked with
> scaling aerodynamic models, but that's complicated, if your
> serious I'm happy to discuss it though.

It is complicated, but it's the done thing when doing any scale work
in fluid flow, and more generally, when using scale models to
investigate real systems.Should be compulsory for all engineers.

Physicists work a little differently. A physicist will simplify the
model until something can be said from basic physics. Hopefully the
simplified model still behaves enough like the real system so as to be
meaningful. The engineer, OTOH, will measure a scale model (or a
different-scale real system) and extrapolate. Two different answers to
two different questions; the physicist answers "why", and the engineer
answers "how much". The engineer's approach works well, as long as the
scaling is understood. Not knowing the "why" can make this dangerous.
There are some spectacular roof collapses that resulted from naive
scaling, and other disasters too. It was the fundamental problem with
the Tacoma Narrows bridge, although stupidity contributed too (i.e.,
not fixing it as soon as its behaviour was seen).

> IMO, a big weakness among phyicists is sliding through units.
> That's why an intro to Volts x Current = Power (Watts) to HP
> and to Force x velocity , (1 HP = 550 foot pounds/sec) and so
> on is worth knowing, (ok a yawner), but later on is dimensional
> analysis.
> Mostly people (scientists) focus on energy and momentum, and
> power and action are sidelined.

In mechanics, yes, power is sidelined. Friction is largely ignored,
and while P=Fv will appear as a brief note for motion at constant
speed with friction, it's minor. For circuits, of course, energy and
momentum are ignored, and power is king. But these aren't connected,
even appearing in different semesters in the usual courses.

The newest generation of students are very metrified. Foot-pounds
would be traumatic to them, let alone HP.

> > I'd always do the Bernoulli bottle, plastic drink bottle with hole in
> > side. From Bernoulli, predict the speed of the outflow. From the
> > projectile motion of the water squirting out onto the table, find the
> > flow speed from measurement of the horizontal range. That's the basic
> > part of the exercise. The advanced part is to ask why these two values
> > aren't the same.
>
> I've always found that one tough.

In the proper context, it shouldn't be. As a mystery rule introduced
in a hydrodynamics section of a cource, divorced from the rest of the
course, it is, well, a mystery.

I'd introduce it in mechanics, as an example of the conservation of
energy. With no pressure difference (e.g., take the two reference
points at the surface of the water and at the hole, where the pressure
is atmospheric in both cases), Bernoulli just says "KE + gravitational
PE = constant". (Well, KE per unit volume and PE per unit volume.) If
there is a pressure difference, deltaP is the work done per unit
volume to move from point 1 to point 2, so the complete Bernoulli is
"work done = change in (KE + PE)". And you can do the measurement with
garbage and a ruler, with the most complicated maths being a
quadratic.

--
Timo