From: Rob Gaddi on
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 20:47:24 -0400
Jeff Cunningham <jcc(a)sover.net> wrote:

> >> I can get quotes from others, so why not from TierLogic ?
> >
> > I don't understand the question. The point is they can't make
> > enough money from a small user to make it worth their while. So
> > they exclude the engineers that won't make them much money and deal
> > with the flak from that rather than get a bad rep from not being
> > able to support every engineer with a wild hair.
> >
> > What part of this is hard to understand?
>
> I don't understand why selling to the small users and not supporting
> them well and therefore losing some sales from them because of "bad
> rep" would be a worse business strategy than imposing a boycott on
> yourself and not selling any parts at all to any of that group of
> people. Are you saying that the bad rep among the little guys would
> rub off onto even the big customers that do get good support? It
> seems kind of weird to me, but what do I know.
>
> Jeff

Absolutely it would. When a vendor agrees to work with me and then
leaves me hanging because my project is important to my company but
not to theirs, it really ticks me off. When I change jobs, I carry that
grudge and, when asked my opinion of that company, will give it freely.

It's 100% better to not work with someone at all than to hang them out
to dry. If I never design you in in the first place I've lost
nothing. If I've got a prototype in hand, and NOW you're not
interested, we've got a problem.

--
Rob Gaddi, Highland Technology
Email address is currently out of order
From: Andy Peters on
On Mar 12, 12:33 pm, Peter Alfke <al...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> From the official TIER website:
>
> "Support:
> Tier Logic intends support to be a differentiator from the mainstream
> FPGA vendors, who increasingly focus their support on only a few
> select customers, ignoring or providing poor-quality support to all
> but their largest accounts. Our approach is not to attempt to support
> thousands of customers, but to sign up to deliver high-quality support
> to every customer with whom we engage.
>
> Please register to get full access to the Tier Logic website."
>
> Peter says:
> They hired a 13-year Altera veteran as VP of marketing and sales.
> Where did he pick up such contorted writing and negative reasoning ?
> It is unprofessional, to say the least.

So, maybe the first response to ANY WebCase/support question won't be,
"Please send us your design."

-a
From: rickman on
On Mar 15, 2:30 am, whygee <y...(a)yg.yg> wrote:
> rickman wrote:
> > I agree that there are opportunities at the low end.  I don't know
> > exactly what mix is optimal, but even the XP3C part I am using is an
> > older technology for Lattice.  If they make an XP2 in 100 pin part,
> > the price would be lower than in the higher pin count packages and
> > that is what I would be using.  I need the gates!
>
> similar problem with Actel,
> I was explained that the large die size can't fit in smaller packages
> than what is proposed... too bad :-/

I'm not familiar with Actel, but with the others I know it is not a
die size issue. They use even smaller packages than the 100TQFP, but
they are BGA (chip scale?) or worse, LGA packaging or in one Actel
case I seem to recall a possibly difficult to use 132 pin QFN. If the
die fit these packages, they will fit in a 100TQFP. They just don't
want to support this package for marketing reasons. I assume they
have determined the effort is not justified by the market... I can't
tell them what their markets are, but to some extent it is a build it
and they will come. If the part prices have a floor determined by
testing time which in turn depends on IO count, it seems they could
drop even high volume pricing even more by using these smaller and
lower cost packages.

I guess there is a reason why I'm not in FPGA marketing... maybe I
just don't see things the same way...

Rick
From: rickman on
On Mar 15, 1:29 pm, Andy Peters <goo...(a)latke.net> wrote:
> On Mar 12, 12:33 pm, Peter Alfke <al...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

> > From the official TIER website:
>
> > "Support:
> > Tier Logic intends support to be a differentiator from the mainstream
> > FPGA vendors, who increasingly focus their support on only a few
> > select customers, ignoring or providing poor-quality support to all
> > but their largest accounts. Our approach is not to attempt to support
> > thousands of customers, but to sign up to deliver high-quality support
> > to every customer with whom we engage.
>
> > Please register to get full access to the Tier Logic website."
>
> > Peter says:
> > They hired a 13-year Altera veteran as VP of marketing and sales.
> > Where did he pick up such contorted writing and negative reasoning ?
> > It is unprofessional, to say the least.
>
> So, maybe the first response to ANY WebCase/support question won't be,
> "Please send us your design."

Yeah, but put yourself in their shoes. I'd hate to respond to calls
saying, "It doesn't work when I do this". "Well don't do that!" Talk
about your thankless jobs!

Rick