From: Tier Logic on
On Mar 10, 10:54 pm, Kim Enkovaara <kim.enkova...(a)iki.fi> wrote:
> -jg wrote:
> >  Doing the stacking at the wafer/fab level saves handling, but you are
> > exposed to testing issues.
>
> >  Until you have finished the two-process flows, you really have
> > nothing to test. So yields are ??
>
> I don't see it impossible to test the cmos wafer before the tft process,
> depending on how they constructed the topmost metal layer. For example
> they could have some dummy bump pads there for power, and then internal
> bist with certain coverage built with the lower metal layers.
>
> FPGAs are quite easy in terms of yield, because you can have redundant
> structures for yield improvement (in fabric and in memories).
>
> --Kim

I don't want to marketeer too much here because this is a technical
site. All I can tell you is that our FPGAs will save you money because
our die size is reduced. If you convert it to our ASIC you will save
even more money for a minimal NRE. ( zero NRE for early access
customers).

I did want to clear up any questions on our testing methodolgies.

Our FPGA is tested the same as any other SRAM based FPGA is tested.
The only difference is that our configuration SRAM is above the CMOS
base layer in a second active layer resulting in a smaller die size.
We test it to 100% functional FPGA test patterns in the same way any
other SRAM-based FPGA is tested. There is no need to test until the
complete FPGA is done being processed.

The TierASIC is tested with a scan-based ASIC methodology we added to
the silicon. The customer is not required to generate any test
vectors. Once you lock your design, you simply send us the bitstream
and we auto generate the test vectors for your ASIC. We create one M9
hard mask and stop there. I do believe that the significant cost
reduction in moving from our FPGA to our ASIC will make it a popular
choice. You also get the advantages of no possibility of configuration
SEUs, bitstream security, no config rom needed, instant on, and
customer logos.

The yield of the ASIC increases over the yield of the FPGA because the
ASIC is only tested to that customer pattern. Also, the timing is
identical to the FPGA version which means zero conversion risk. We can
deliver ASIC samples in about 4 weeks.

Jeff

From: John_H on
On Mar 11, 1:45 am, Kim Enkovaara <kim.enkova...(a)iki.fi> wrote:

> big accuounts have no problem with registration, NDAs etc.
>
> --Kim

That's a false assumption. Even big accounts have individual
engineers who thrive on free flow of information to <b>understand the
technologies to consider in the first place</b>. There is a tendency
not to look into every company proclaiming new and revolutionary
technology if the information isn't readily available.

Perhaps some engineers are interested in spending the time and hassle
to dig into all the little wannabe startups but there are few that
warrant the all-out risk associated with a new single-source supplier
with no guaranteed future unless the technology is truly superb. If
the risk is extreme, why look at it in the first place unless it's a
casual 15 minutes of web perusal to understand the claims?
From: John_H on
On Mar 11, 2:41 am, Tier Logic <jeff.ka...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 10, 10:54 pm, Kim Enkovaara <kim.enkova...(a)iki.fi> wrote:
>

> > -jg wrote:
> > >  Doing the stacking at the wafer/fab level saves handling, but you are
> > > exposed to testing issues.
>
> > >  Until you have finished the two-process flows, you really have
> > > nothing to test. So yields are ??
>
> > I don't see it impossible to test the cmos wafer before the tft process,
> > depending on how they constructed the topmost metal layer. For example
> > they could have some dummy bump pads there for power, and then internal
> > bist with certain coverage built with the lower metal layers.
>
> > FPGAs are quite easy in terms of yield, because you can have redundant
> > structures for yield improvement (in fabric and in memories).
>
> > --Kim
>
> I don't want to marketeer too much here because this is a technical
> site. All I can tell you is that our FPGAs will save you money because
> our die size is reduced. If you convert it to our ASIC you will save
> even more money for a minimal NRE. ( zero NRE for early access
> customers).
>
> I did want to clear up any questions on our testing methodolgies.
>
> Our FPGA is tested the same as any other SRAM based FPGA is tested.
> The only difference is that our configuration SRAM is above the CMOS
> base layer in a second active layer resulting in a smaller die size.
> We test it to 100% functional FPGA test patterns in the same way any
> other SRAM-based FPGA is tested. There is no need to test until the
> complete FPGA is done being processed.
>
> The TierASIC is tested with a scan-based ASIC methodology we added to
> the silicon. The customer is not required to generate any test
> vectors. Once you lock your design, you simply send us the bitstream
> and we auto generate the test vectors for your ASIC. We create one M9
> hard mask and stop there. I do believe that the significant cost
> reduction in moving from our FPGA to our ASIC will make it a popular
> choice. You also get the advantages of no possibility of configuration
> SEUs, bitstream security, no config rom needed, instant on, and
> customer logos.
>
> The yield of the ASIC increases over the yield of the FPGA because the
> ASIC is only tested to that customer pattern. Also, the timing is
> identical to the FPGA version which means zero conversion risk. We can
> deliver ASIC samples in about 4 weeks.
>
> Jeff

Thanks for returning to talk further about the issues brought up on
this newsgroup.

I wish you success in achieving noticeable market share.

While I can understand the savings brought from removing the
configuration memories and associated die size, I still envision the
FPGA-like overhead as being significant since routing is such a large
portion of typical FPGA resources. The routing won't go away, only
the configuration memory. The result is still not an ASIC-killer
unless the price-point for (for instance) 40nm TierASIC devices can
compare at a price point with a couple steps behind in the process
curve.

If a turn on a 90nm or 120nm ASIC can produce similar cost points in
per-piece costs to a TierASIC on the tighter process, there might be
something here. We all understand the issues of NRE and timing. But
it's so much smoke and mirrors at this point it's hard for the big
customers who have ASIC suppliers or the medium customers who need to
*work* to get access to information to really consider the technology.

If the TierASIC information becomes more transparent to demonstrate
the true "technical" savings versus the ASIC approach rather than
"marketing" savings, TierASIC won't disturb the engineers responsible
for *considering* the technology in the first place. Marketing people
tend not to sway engineers with marketing; they tend to influence with
the technology proposition and real associated cost points.

In my mind, it's a question of whether there's a desire to market to
the select few who aren't concerned about risk versus reward within
their company framework or to the many who may see how large the
reward is and how low the risk is in the end.

I want better solutions to succeed. *I* won't pursue vague promises
but I'll consider real information. Big difference.
From: austin on
John,

Correct, you got it.

I was always looking for the best solution when I did my stint as a
design engineer from 1978 to 1998 in telecom.

The last thing on my list was the vendor: there were many things
ahead of that (although, the vendor, and their history is important,
too).

So, in the telecoms business: here was my order of importance:

1. Price
2. Price
3. Price.
4. Power: (yes, even so long ago, telecoms were 'green')
5. Availability: (if it had the advantages above, I would pre-order,
stock, and do whatever needed to get those advantages)
6. Performance (I would make do with less performance if I had the
advantages above)
7. Reliability: (I would burn in, re-test, operate at a lower
temperature, if I could get an inexpensive part to meet my 20 year
life requirement)
8. Vendor: (support, applications notes, demo boards, free IP, code,
tools -- I would tolerate a lot missing here to meet the first three
goals)

The bottom line was if I could make an equivalent, or better product,
for a lower cost than my competition, I would get the contract.

I once lost a million dollar contract to MCI being just $0.01 more
expensive on a $125 circuit pack than my competition, so it was (and
still is) a rough real world out there.

So, for those who used to do what I did, log onto their website, give
them the required information, download the information, and get
going.

Austin

From: Nico Coesel on
John_H <newsgroup(a)johnhandwork.com> wrote:

>On Mar 10, 11:46=A0am, Tier Logic <jeff.ka...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> The world's first 3D FPGA has arrived! We have a very compelling and
>> cost effective solution.
>>
>> Come check it out folks.www.tierlogic.com
>>
>> Jeff
>
>Sad.
>
>I have a passing interest in anything proclaiming itself "new" and
>"revolutionary" but I won't bother to register to get more
>information.
>
>I *might* have the next $1M+ design but it will go to standard FPGAs
>because I can't find out about the promising technology on a casual
>basis.

I agree. We use a 1000+ ARM controllers per year. Luminary required
registration so they didn't even make it on the short list.

nico(a)nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)