From: Dymphna on

It is best not to shoot around people anyways. They tend to get hurt
when you do. j/k

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

From: Outing Trolls is FUN! on
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 03:38:51 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>They make you a target for the inquisitive. So if you want to shoot
>images in peace, don't use a tripod where people are.

And this, this ONE instance is the only drawback? This clinches it. You
*ARE* a troll and have never used any camera at all at any time during your
life. If you can think of only ONE reason ... you're not even a decent
pretend-photographer troll. Time to step up your game ... or get lost.

From: me on
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 03:38:51 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>

RichA isn't around when you have your's handy to whack him with it.
From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:04:29 -0800, SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com>
wrote:

>RichA wrote:
>
>> They make you a target for the inquisitive. So if you want to shoot
>> images in peace, don't use a tripod where people are.
>
>Between a tripod and a lens hood, it also causes people to ask you to
>photograph them because they believe that you're a professional.
>
>Before everyone and their brother had a digital SLR, I got a lot of
>requests like this, with "e-mail me the picture," especially out in the
>wilderness where most people were not likely to carry an SLR because of
>the size and weight.
>
>However one thing that still isn't all that common is D-SLR owners with
>an extreme wide-angle lens. With the 10-22mm lens (16-35mm) I still get
>the requests for group photos.

I don't get requests to take photographs of tourists and email the
results to them, but quite often a couple will spot my dslr around my
neck and ask me to take a photograph of both of them together on their
camera. They often don't understand why I want them to move away from
some distracting background or turn to get better light on them.

It can be kinda funny watching me doing this. I have a Nikon dslr, so
I automatically raise the camera to my eye. Nothing to see with most
of the little cameras presented to me.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Ofnuts on
On 26/01/2010 20:04, SMS wrote:
> RichA wrote:
>
>> They make you a target for the inquisitive. So if you want to shoot
>> images in peace, don't use a tripod where people are.
>
> Between a tripod and a lens hood, it also causes people to ask you to
> photograph them because they believe that you're a professional.
>
> Before everyone and their brother had a digital SLR, I got a lot of
> requests like this, with "e-mail me the picture," especially out in the
> wilderness where most people were not likely to carry an SLR because of
> the size and weight.

I get many requests from people waving a camera and asking me to take a
picture of them all in front of some recognizable background like the
Eiffel Tower or Notre Dame. I still don't know if they think that:

- I'm honest
- I'm willing to help
- Given by pro-looking gear I may know how to operate their camera and
take a decent picture
- Given my pro-looking gear I'm not too likely to run away with their
camera.
- Given my bulky gear I'm not too likely to be able to outrun them if I
fancied to dart away with their camera

--
Bertrand, aiming at the world record of Eiffel Tower shots