From: Savageduck on
On 2010-01-28 07:03:26 -0800, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:

> "Bob Williams" <mytbobnospam(a)cox.net> wrote in message
>> tony cooper wrote:
>
>>> I don't get requests to take photographs of tourists and email the
>>> results to them, but quite often a couple will spot my dslr around my
>>> neck and ask me to take a photograph of both of them together on their
>>> camera. They often don't understand why I want them to move away from
>>> some distracting background or turn to get better light on them.
>>>
>>> It can be kinda funny watching me doing this. I have a Nikon dslr, so
>>> I automatically raise the camera to my eye. Nothing to see with most
>>> of the little cameras presented to me.
>>>

>> Man! Isn't that the truth.
>> Most recent compact P/S do not have optical viewfinders so you have to
>> compose the picture on the screen which is almost invisible in sunlite.
>> I'll move the subjects to a shady area and use fill flash if necessary.
>> On occasion, I have suggested that I put their memory card in my camera
>> and get a decent picture for them.
>> The usual reply is, "Oh! Can you do that?......DUH.
>
> Yeabut, the DSLRs that I use do not accept the SD cards that those cameras use.

Now that I have the D300s with both SD & CF slots I cannot use that alibi.
Actually that is one of the suprisingly great features of the D300. You
can make all sorts of assignments between the two card slots, duplicate
for back-up, overflow when the primary card is full, RAW on primary -
JPEG on secondary, save incamera edits to secondary, etc.
--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Scott W on
On Jan 26, 1:38 am, RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> They make you a target for the inquisitive.  So if you want to shoot
> images in peace, don't use a tripod where people are.

I can't recall many people coming up to be when I have been using a
tripod, a non-issue as far as I am concerned.

Scott
From: Peter on
> On 2010-01-28 07:03:26 -0800, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:
>
>> "Bob Williams" <mytbobnospam(a)cox.net> wrote in message

>>> Man! Isn't that the truth.
>>> Most recent compact P/S do not have optical viewfinders so you have to
>>> compose the picture on the screen which is almost invisible in sunlite.
>>> I'll move the subjects to a shady area and use fill flash if necessary.
>>> On occasion, I have suggested that I put their memory card in my camera
>>> and get a decent picture for them.
>>> The usual reply is, "Oh! Can you do that?......DUH.
>>
>> Yeabut, the DSLRs that I use do not accept the SD cards that those
>> cameras use.
>
> Now that I have the D300s with both SD & CF slots I cannot use that alibi.
> Actually that is one of the suprisingly great features of the D300. You
> can make all sorts of assignments between the two card slots, duplicate
> for back-up, overflow when the primary card is full, RAW on primary - JPEG
> on secondary, save incamera edits to secondary, etc.

I will probably upgrade to the D400. ;-)

--
Peter

From: me on
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:07:47 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Jan 26, 4:21�pm, me <m...(a)mine.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 03:38:51 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> RichA isn't around when you have your's handy to whack him with it.
>
>You could always hit me with your purse.

Given that purse is a LowePro Mini-trekker AW that is jammed full and
weighs 18+#, I'd be glad to oblige you anytime.