From: grinch on
Hadron wrote:

> You are aware that most of the best OSS for the office runs on Windows too
> right?
>
> Listen kid, when you've been out there and worked in real companies for
> an appreciable time after your "degree" that you keep flaunting then you
> can comment.... I can only assume you're recently graduated as most of
> us with degrees stopped being proud of it about a week after Uni.
>
> The cost of OS licensing is minuscule compared to salaries,
> infrastructure etc etc etc.
>
> The sad fact is that its not easy to migrate to Linux for huge
> businesses.
>
> Its ok for you to play bubble bobble or whatever that junky game is at
> home when you come back from your Windows job. But its not trivial to
> port all existing apps and data from Windows to Linux unless they go to
> the additional pain of running Windows in VMWare or somethin - more cost
> and effort.

French police (Gendarmerie national) manged it and saved money .The amount
varies from 7 to 11 million euro's per year dependant on which article you
read. However given the relation's between the Élysée Palace and the white
house at the time it is more likely to be politically motivated.

Quote from article about the above ( they say they have 70 000 desktops)

Since 2004, he says that the Gendarmerie has saved up to €50 million on
licensing and maintenance costs as a result of the migration strategy. He
believes that the move from Windows to Ubuntu posed fewer challenges than
the organization would have faced if it had updated to Windows Vista.

Full article here

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/03/french-police-saves-
millions-of-euros-by-adopting-ubuntu.ars

However given the proven incompetence of Whitehall when it comes to IT they
I am sure could make it cost more. Also the IT departments are windows based
,since when do turkeys vote for Christmas.

Output certified Micrsoft free
Checked with OpenSuse 11.2
From: jasee on
spike1(a)freenet.co.uk wrote:
> And so it was that in the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> jasee <jasee(a)btinternet.com> uttered the following pearls of wisdom:
>>> Also, they will no longer be on the hardware upgrade treadmill in
>>> order to be ABLE to use the latest microsoft pap.
>>
>> But will their new hardware work with Linux?
>
> 1: most likely, yes. If they did their homework first, definitely yes.
> 2: why would they need new hardware?

(1) For a server role, 'most likely' won't do, you need just to know.
(2) For users (for instance) even if M$ is sidelined, hardware manufacturers
need to continue to sell products, so hardware will inevitably change. Also,
more data is being sent at ever higher rates, hardware needs to support
this. The treadmill doesn't change, it's just a different one.

From: spike1 on
And so it was that in the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.advocacy, jasee <jasee(a)btinternet.com> uttered the following pearls of wisdom:
> spike1(a)freenet.co.uk wrote:
>> And so it was that in the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>> jasee <jasee(a)btinternet.com> uttered the following pearls of wisdom:
>>>
>>> But will their new hardware work with Linux?
>>
>> 1: most likely, yes. If they did their homework first, definitely yes.
>> 2: why would they need new hardware?
>
> (1) For a server role, 'most likely' won't do, you need just to know.

As I said, and you chose to ignore, if they did their homework first, which
should be part of the whole migration strategy anyway, definitely yes.

> (2) For users (for instance) even if M$ is sidelined, hardware manufacturers
> need to continue to sell products, so hardware will inevitably change. Also,
> more data is being sent at ever higher rates, hardware needs to support
> this. The treadmill doesn't change, it's just a different one.

Linux has support for 10gig ethernet.
Whole machines don't need to be replaced, hard disks and network cards can
be upgraded in existing boxes unless they're REALLY old and slow.

And even if they are, for many uses they're still more than adequate.
IF they're capable of running windows 7 they're more than capable of running
linux much more efficiently.
| spike1(a)freenet.co.uk |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
| in |good to you so far... |
From: The Hooded Plumber on
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 02:16:33 +0100, spike1(a)freenet.co.uk wrote:

>And so it was that in the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.advocacy, jasee <jasee(a)btinternet.com> uttered the following pearls of wisdom:
>> spike1(a)freenet.co.uk wrote:
>>> And so it was that in the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>> jasee <jasee(a)btinternet.com> uttered the following pearls of wisdom:

>>> 1: most likely, yes. If they did their homework first, definitely yes.
>>> 2: why would they need new hardware?
>>
>> (1) For a server role, 'most likely' won't do, you need just to know.
>
>As I said, and you chose to ignore, if they did their homework first, which
>should be part of the whole migration strategy anyway, definitely yes.
>
>> (2) For users (for instance) even if M$ is sidelined, hardware manufacturers
>> need to continue to sell products, so hardware will inevitably change. Also,
>> more data is being sent at ever higher rates, hardware needs to support
>> this. The treadmill doesn't change, it's just a different one.
>
>Linux has support for 10gig ethernet.
>Whole machines don't need to be replaced, hard disks and network cards can
>be upgraded in existing boxes unless they're REALLY old and slow.
>
>And even if they are, for many uses they're still more than adequate.
>IF they're capable of running windows 7 they're more than capable of running
>linux much more efficiently.

If you actually worked in Information Technology, you would realize
that hardware is a small portion of the cost.
Can you say tax deduction?
Migration costs are huge.
Training costs are huge.
The potential for Linux programs not interfacing well is there.
Can you say"switch to Linux and you will be fucked".

Ask Munich.

You sound like a cocksucking amateur.
From: Duncan Hawthorne on
The Hooded Plumber wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 02:16:33 +0100, spike1(a)freenet.co.uk wrote:
>
>>And so it was that in the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.advocacy, jasee

> You sound like a cocksucking amateur.

In this single example Andrew is an expert.