From: jasee on

<spike1(a)freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
> And so it was that in the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.advocacy, jasee
> <jasee(a)btinternet.com> uttered the following pearls of wisdom:
>> spike1(a)freenet.co.uk wrote:
>>> And so it was that in the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>> jasee <jasee(a)btinternet.com> uttered the following pearls of wisdom:

>>> 1: most likely, yes. If they did their homework first, definitely yes.
>>> 2: why would they need new hardware?
>>
>> (1) For a server role, 'most likely' won't do, you need just to know.
>
> As I said, and you chose to ignore, if they did their homework first,
> which
> should be part of the whole migration strategy anyway, definitely yes.

I didn't ignore it, I simply quoted your words!

>> (2) For users (for instance) even if M$ is sidelined, hardware
>> manufacturers
>> need to continue to sell products, so hardware will inevitably change.
>> Also,
>> more data is being sent at ever higher rates, hardware needs to support
>> this. The treadmill doesn't change, it's just a different one.
>
> Linux has support for 10gig ethernet.
> Whole machines don't need to be replaced, hard disks and network cards can
> be upgraded in existing boxes unless they're REALLY old and slow.

The costs of doing that can't be underestimated for it support. Network
cards don't wear out, of course hard disks do, but also cpu have a limited
life and graphic cards particularly when they're attached with less
effective silver ball solder connections. A machine will require a thorough
removal of dust. On a laptop, the keyboard may need to be replaced (worn of
damaged keys) etc. Motherboards develop capacitor faults. Power supplies
with more integrated components are disposable items. Even TFT displays
minimature florescents have a limited life and energising units fail. A
common fail point is the female power supply connection on a laptop. Simply
getting to that can easily take several hours.

> And even if they are, for many uses they're still more than adequate.
> IF they're capable of running windows 7 they're more than capable of
> running
> linux much more efficiently.

I agree in lots of ways, for the moment, tesco shouldn't have set the
example, and the university of Kent, some government department set very bad
examples by going to Vista (at the time) on 'environmental' grounds.
Ignoring the fact that they would have had to junk millions of laptops (for
instance) easily capable of running Linux, not to mention the pcs.

From: Hadron on
"jasee" <jasee(a)btinternet.com> writes:

> The costs of doing that can't be underestimated for it support. Network
> cards don't wear out, of course hard disks do, but also cpu have a
> limited

Network cards do indeed wear out.
From: Chris Ahlstrom on
Hadron stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:

> "jasee" <jasee(a)btinternet.com> writes:
>
>> The costs of doing that can't be underestimated for it support. Network
>> cards don't wear out, of course hard disks do, but also cpu have a
>> limited
>
> Network cards do indeed wear out.

Indeed:

http://www.aei-it.com/hardware/gigenet/x1000.htm

Mean Time Before Failure (MTBF): 147 (Years)

http://www3.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/pro10016/sb/cs-008182.htm

Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF)

Calculated MTBF is 356K hours.

(That's about 14800 days or about 1200 years).

--
This is where the bloodthirsty license agreement is supposed to go,
explaining that Interactive Easyflow is a copyrighted package licensed for
From: grinch on
The Hooded Plumber wrote:

> If you actually worked in Information Technology, you would realize
> that hardware is a small portion of the cost.
> Can you say tax deduction?
> Migration costs are huge.
> Training costs are huge.
> The potential for Linux programs not interfacing well is there.
> Can you say"switch to Linux and you will be fucked".
>
> Ask Munich.
>
> You sound like a cocksucking amateur.

Where as you sound like an windows admin,sorry to be so rude but then you
started it.

Just because you don't know how to make the change over,that does not mean
IT literate people can't do it,as the below proves.Really it completely
destroys your entire argument.

I am a Cisco engineer and of all the operating systems I have to use windows
is the biggest pain in the back-end.

http://www.osor.eu/news/fr-gendarmerie-saves-millions-with-open-desktop-and-
web-applications

Short extract from the above which proves it can and has been done

The French Gendarmerie's gradual migration to a complete open source desktop
and web applications has saved millions of euro, says Lieutenant-Colonel
Xavier Guimard. "This year the IT budget will be reduced by 70 percent. This
will not affect our IT systems."

From: Hadron on
Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromc(a)launchmodem.com> writes:

> Hadron stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:
>
>> "jasee" <jasee(a)btinternet.com> writes:
>>
>>> The costs of doing that can't be underestimated for it support. Network
>>> cards don't wear out, of course hard disks do, but also cpu have a
>>> limited
>>
>> Network cards do indeed wear out.
>
> Indeed:
>
> http://www.aei-it.com/hardware/gigenet/x1000.htm
>
> Mean Time Before Failure (MTBF): 147 (Years)
>
> http://www3.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/pro10016/sb/cs-008182.htm
>
> Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF)
>
> Calculated MTBF is 356K hours.
>
> (That's about 14800 days or about 1200 years).

What is it with COLA "advocates" and maths? First we have Rasker telling
us that Linux netbooks are outselling the Windows one "and this link
proves it" and now Chris is FAILing basic arithmetic.

Firstly MTBF means nothing to the user whose card breaks down a week
later.

Secondly : the first was a "server class" card. Not a bucket card in the
average desktop.

Thirdly : 356K hours == 356000 hours == 356000/8765 == 40 years.

Whoops!

Advocate claim : 1200 years
Reality : 40 years

Factor of fudge used by "Advocate" : 30

Lets hope Chris isn't involved in HW procurement as well as office
document corruption ....