From: Richard Webb on
On Sun 2037-Nov-01 20:01, Getting Older and Grumpier writes: > Too bad you can't filter the low end noise sources.

But you can. INstitute your killfile, and don't respond to
them. NOw if we could get others not to respond either,
because the attention is what is wanted.
Certain individuals who won't be mentioned by name are happy as long as a thread even discusses them by name.
To be totally ignored is a usenet death sentence, and that
is the only policy which will discourage said individual(s)
and improve the snr.

Regards,
Richard
.... Incompetence knows no barriers of time or place.
From: Phildo on

"Richard Webb" <Richard.Webb.my.foot(a)116-901.ftn.wpusa.dynip.com> wrote in
message news:361_200911012303(a)ftn.wpusa.dynip.com...
> On Sun 2037-Nov-01 20:01, Getting Older and Grumpier writes: > Too bad you
> can't filter the low end noise sources.
>
> But you can. INstitute your killfile, and don't respond to
> them. NOw if we could get others not to respond either,
> because the attention is what is wanted.
> Certain individuals who won't be mentioned by name are happy as long as a
> thread even discusses them by name.
> To be totally ignored is a usenet death sentence, and that
> is the only policy which will discourage said individual(s)
> and improve the snr.

What part of "been there, done that, didn't work" don't you understand? At
least this way all his descendants will be able to see what a loser grandpa
was when they google him.

Phildo

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote in message
> "Getting Older and Grumpier Gear Minion" <westpase-he_ac(a)hotmail.com>
> wrote in message
>>I decided to review some of the posting history
>> since Arnold B. posted his bio in a previous
>> thread, and couldn't take critique well.
>> I came across a quote from one of his 12-2005
>> postings:
>> "I quit before I got banned."
>> Much like commiting suicide before execution.
>> 22 months of blessed silence over there.(PSW)
>
> I really loved this part:
>
> "Previously I worked for several decades on computer mainframes and was
> well-known internationally for my software developments and training
> seminars related to the IBM VM/370-XP operating system."
>
> Um.. if you're famous you don't need to tell people that you're famous,
> right?
>
> As I frequently tell my grown kids, never believe your own PR/BS. You're
> only as good as your last gig.
>
> Sean

Elton John told me it is considered crass to be a name dropper :-)
George

From: Arny Krueger on

> What I had noticed was how many of the posters are no
> posting here. Wonder how many left the pro sound field?

AFAIK, few if any.

> I know we have the thread degradation issues, but most
> of us remain civil between pro's if somewhat profane at
> times.

You are dreaming.

> In most cases the degradation is quite predictable.

Right, and it is currently being stimulated quite heavily by you!

> Too bad you can't filter the low end noise sources.

Sure you can, virtually every newsreader has a killfile facility. Since you
can't discipline yourself, you either ought to use it, or change over to a
newsreader that has one.

From: Arny Krueger on
"Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote in message
> "Getting Older and Grumpier Gear Minion"
> <westpase-he_ac(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I decided to review some of the posting history
>> since Arnold B. posted his bio in a previous
>> thread, and couldn't take critique well.
>> I came across a quote from one of his 12-2005
>> postings:
>> "I quit before I got banned."
>> Much like commiting suicide before execution.
>> 22 months of blessed silence over there.(PSW)

> I really loved this part:

> "Previously I worked for several decades on computer
> mainframes and was well-known internationally for my
> software developments and training seminars related to
> the IBM VM/370-XP operating system."

> Um.. if you're famous you don't need to tell people that
> you're famous, right?

Do you seriously think that in 2009, a bunch of live sound people would know
who's who among high end mainframe system programmers back in the 1980s?

If you're so knowlegable about things back then, off the top of your head
give us the name of the well-known consulting group I worked for, and the
name of the well-known president of that company.