From: Frank Kotler on
Betov wrote:

[not buying MShit]
> Good position, but you miss the point that i begun writing
> RosAsm the first day i heard of ReactOS:
>
> < http://www.reactos.org/xhtml/en/index.html >
>
> [Don't dream... not yet ready for everydays usage...]

Ahhh, but it costs nothing to dream! :) Where are we at? RosAsm
assembles itself under ReactOS, I understand, so it must stand on its
own two feet that long... Do any/all apps run?

They're undergoing "code review"... How come Wine doesn't have to do
code review? Or do they? You hinted that it was that "Mr. X" I forget
his name - guy who was on here "pissing in your ear" - was responsible.
I suppose you'll tell me the story if you want to... Any reason why
would-be users can't mess with it while this is going on?

Do we know what part of the code is a problem? Something that can be
rewritten in RosAsm? Inject a little "ReactOS86" into it? It'll
jump-start the "rebirth" better if it's got a little asm in it!

When you first told me about ReactOS, it was nothing but plans. I
thought it was going to be permanent vaporware. But now they've got a
"working" OS. Okay, nowhere near ready for the "flat users" - arguable
whether Linux is ready for "flat users", and it's been around a while.
But for the "determined users", frustrating to see it get "hung" at this
point! ...and when they get it 100% "clean", M$'ll bury 'em in lawyers
anyway... :(

Best,
Frank
From: Dragontamer on

randyhyde(a)earthlink.net wrote:

> Then again, it sure looks like all the big game manufacturers are
> starting to line up behind the PPC. Still, you won't find anyone
> writing game software (console or PC) in assembly.
>
> Then again, the whole concept of "portability" and console machines is
> humorous. The hardware is so radically different on the machines that
> even if they had the same CPU, portability just doesn't happen without
> a tremendous amount of recoding. Wouldn't be a whole lot worse if they
> *did* write it in assembly.

At least they dont have to change 1+1 in C++ to whatever
assembly-language
the other platforms use. :-)

And given the fact that they got Linux to run on GCube, PS2 and
(ironically) best
on XBox, the platforms can't be *that* different.

Heck; SDL even works on all 3 systems when Linux is on them.

http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/04/01/warp_pipe.html

Got some tid-bits on Linux GCube and Linux XBox.

Sony endorced an official Linux for their PS2... no longer avaliable
supposedly but
the online sites are still there. http://playstation2-linux.com/

Just another testament in how portable C can be.

--Dragontamer

From: o//annabee on
P? Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:23:18 +0100, skrev <penang(a)myrealbox.com>:

> Thank you !
>
> And by the way, the original stuff posted by Randy did bring up a point
> - it's the question I wanted to ask for a long time - is there a place
> for Assembly Language for GPU programming ? Seems like everyone is
> using cg and all those stuffs. Even the sdk coming out from GPU/Physic
> chip manufacturers is coded in very-very-high-level-languages.

:)) I dont doubt it. The installer for my ATI graphics card :) ????
Because I did a clean install of windows, I ran windows in 640x480 vga
when I ran it, and therefore I was unable to use the installer. I had to
guess where the buttons for next, etc was. A graphics card producer
unable to create a installer for the driver that was able to run correctly
for the installation, because of a resolution problem :)

> GPU programming is something really hot these days - with the new PCI-X
> version 2 coming up, programmers get to play with them GPU with their
> incredible parallel pipes, full force !
>
> If only there's a way to turn the heat up even more with assembly
> language.

Any links?
From: Betov on
"sevagK" <kahlinor(a)yahoo.com> ?crivait news:1142301695.148972.226240
@j52g2000cwj.googlegroups.com:

> Rosasm has weak macros

If RosAsm has a weak Macros Sysytem, Troll, show us the port
of the RosAsm Proc Macros set to a couple of other Assemblers.

Thanks in advance for the god laugh time.

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Betov on
"sevagK" <kahlinor(a)yahoo.com> ?crivait news:1142301695.148972.226240
@j52g2000cwj.googlegroups.com:

> Using *any* macro defeats the rules of assmebly.

Very good. So, if RosAsm Macros can do this and that,
.... this is not Assembly, and if it cannot do this and
that, this is a weak Assembler. Perfect!

This recall me of the time when i still had illusions,
when i implemented an "Alternate" Pre-Parser, to assume
most of the other Assemblers formal Syntaxes:

* Before, the song was: "I will not use it, because the
Syntax is different".

* After, it was: "If it is the same, then, what's the point
of changing?!".

:]]]]]

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >