From: Betov on
o//annabee <fack(a)szmyggenpv.com> ?crivait news:op.s58c7v0rce7g4q(a)bonus:

> HLA is written in C. You spent 9 years with this.

By the way, this point say all and everything, about Assembly
productivity: 9 years for a simple HLL Pre- Parser, written
in Flex, Bison, and C, whereas the Macros Parsers of all of
the actual Assemblers, have been written in, at most, one or
two years, in Self-Compilable Assembly.

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: toby on

randyhyde(a)earthlink.net wrote:
> Check out
> http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~dpw/popl/06/Tim-POPL.ppt
>
> This is a talk Tim Sweeny gave on programming languages at POPL (a very
> high-end programming languages conference) on language design goals
> that game programmers are interested it. Despite the obvious knock
> against using assembly language, it discusses several language features
> that game programmers want (and why assembly is bad).
>
> Of course, there is the quote "we will gladly give up 10% of our
> performance for 10% improved productivity."

Yep: He's wrong - it's probably more like 100% or more improved
productivity.

And what about the benefits of portability?

From: rhyde on

toby wrote:

> > Of course, there is the quote "we will gladly give up 10% of our
> > performance for 10% improved productivity."
>
> Yep: He's wrong - it's probably more like 100% or more improved
> productivity.

Well, whether he was wrong or right, the fact that he would give up 10%
performance for so little productivity gain is disturbing in and of
itself. Heck, you can generally get 50% better productivity just by
better management, without affecting the code one iota. After all, the
pareto principle (80/20 rule) applies there, too. Although programmer
productivity and program efficiency aren't exactly independent
variables, they are not lock-step dependent on one another, either.

> And what about the benefits of portability?

Now that Apple is moving to Intel chips, this issue is becoming less
and less important for game developers. Within five years, for example,
I doubt anyone will care if the latest and greatest game runs on a
PowerPC chip anymore than they care if it runs on an Alpha or MIPS chip
today.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: rhyde on

Betov wrote:
> o//annabee <fack(a)szmyggenpv.com> écrivait news:op.s58c7v0rce7g4q(a)bonus:
>
> > HLA is written in C. You spent 9 years with this.

Oh, and don't forget the four books written during this time period,
the full-time job, and other activities.... Unlike one particular
assembler author claims, I've not spent 12 hours/day seven days a week
working on my assembler.

> By the way, this point say all and everything, about Assembly
> productivity: 9 years for a simple

Simple?
Hmmm...
If only RosAsm had such simple features. :-)

> HLL Pre- Parser, written
> in Flex, Bison, and C, whereas the Macros Parsers of all of
> the actual Assemblers, have been written in, at most, one or
> two years, in Self-Compilable Assembly.

And that shows. That's one of the main reasons HLA's compile-time
language and macro processor is far more sophisticated than the ones
found in all the hobby assemblers.

And for someone who has spent 7 years working on such a simple product
as RosAsm, show assembler doesn't hold a candle to features found in
HLA, you're not exactly on solid ground with your insults here.
There's an old saying: "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw
stones".
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: toby on
rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu wrote:
> toby wrote:
>
> > > Of course, there is the quote "we will gladly give up 10% of our
> > > performance for 10% improved productivity."
> >
> > Yep: He's wrong - it's probably more like 100% or more improved
> > productivity.
>
> Well, whether he was wrong or right, the fact that he would give up 10%
> performance for so little productivity gain is disturbing in and of
> itself. Heck, you can generally get 50% better productivity just by
> better management, without affecting the code one iota.

Okay, I concede. A macro assembler can be very productive. All other
requirements being equal :-)

> After all, the
> pareto principle (80/20 rule) applies there, too. Although programmer
> productivity and program efficiency aren't exactly independent
> variables, they are not lock-step dependent on one another, either.
>

> > And what about the benefits of portability?
>
> Now that Apple is moving to Intel chips, this issue is becoming less
> and less important for game developers.

Few people in the wider computing community seem to realise this, but
perfect platform transparency in an operating system is nothing new. Of
those I've used, SunOS achieved it (between SPARC and m68k); ULTRIX
achieved it (VAX and MIPS); NEXTSTEP achieved it (between m68k, Intel,
PA-RISC and SPARC) - completely foreshadowing OS X (PPC, PPC64 and
x86); and of course Linux (a dozen architectures) and NetBSD (several
dozens) achieve it too, not to mention the other BSDs and probably a
few dozen other portable systems. But this is completely off topic for
an assembler group, because assembly just can't help here.