From: WW on

"Brent" <beemdoubleu(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote in message
> In a Toyota forum I write up automotive repair DIYs under lousy lighting
> conditions (like many people do).
>
> Only I use a good camera (Nikon D5000) and good back lighting to augment
> the camera flash.
>
> It's cheap. I buy 200 watt bulbs from ACE Hardware and put it in an
> aluminum light fixture with clamps so I can secure the light. I change the
> directdion of light constantly so a stand wouldn't work.
>
> Problem is, I bust a bulb almost every time. When these bulbs are hot,
> they
> break the filament if you drop or move the light suddenly.
>
> Is there a better high lumens bulb that is sturdier than the "regular"
> 200W
> bulbs from ACE?

I have some "PhotoFlood" lamps I used with old film movie cameras. They have
their own reflector. WW

From: jamesgangnc on
On Aug 2, 9:54 pm, "WW" <c...(a)nospambresnan.net> wrote:
> "Brent" <beemdoub...(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote in message

> > In a Toyota forum I write up automotive repair DIYs under lousy lighting
> > conditions (like many people do).
>
> > Only I use a good camera (Nikon D5000) and good back lighting to augment
> > the camera flash.
>
> > It's cheap. I buy 200 watt bulbs from ACE Hardware and put it in an
> > aluminum light fixture with clamps so I can secure the light. I change the
> > directdion of light constantly so a stand wouldn't work.
>
> > Problem is, I bust a bulb almost every time. When these bulbs are hot,
> > they
> > break the filament if you drop or move the light suddenly.
>
> > Is there a better high lumens bulb that is sturdier than the "regular"
> > 200W
> > bulbs from ACE?
>
> I have some "PhotoFlood" lamps I used with old film movie cameras. They have
> their own reflector. WW- Hide quoted text -

Try some outdoor floods. Mioght be a bit hardier. Plus a flood may
work without quiote so high a wattage.
From: Brent on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 22:21:34 GMT, notbob wrote:

> I used three lights (150W incandescent) with same
> cheapo alum reflectors ($7 ea) for illuminating items for sale. No
> problems except for very shiny round black items like rifle scopes.
> Took a lot of angles and moving of lights.

Exactly! Each shot, I hold the light or clamp it to something and a lot of
stuff on a car is dark black so it takes a LOT of light to get the contrast
I need.

Where do you get your bulbs?

Do they break on you a lot?
From: Brent on
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 20:18:05 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

> Usually when I take pics, the camera flash does a good job.

In the intracacies of the engine, the camera flash can't throw the light we
need into all the spaces we need for a good shot.

That's why it has to be hand held and clampable .

The incandescents in the aluminum reflector work fine; they just break a
lot.
From: Brent on
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 19:54:53 -0600, WW wrote:

> I have some "PhotoFlood" lamps I used with old film movie cameras. They have
> their own reflector. WW

Are they rugged?