From: Ollie Clark on
notbob wrote:
> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.home.repair.]
>
>> photographing engines and complex three-dimensional objects called light
>> painting. You set the camera on a time exposure of about 4 seconds (a dark
>>
>> I used to use tungsten bulbs, but I found that 100 LED showerhead
>> flashlights are perfect for this work as the ones I have are almost the same
>> color temp as daylight and emit broad, shadow free light for over an hour
>
> Wow! What a great idea. Is 4 secs long enough to get that light
> moved to all the places needed. What's the max exposure time?

As long as your camera allows, really as long as you get the exposure right.
You need to experiment a bit to get the shutter speed, aperture and lighting
right.

Here's one of my cat with a 10 second exposure:

http://www.ollieclark.com/shutterstock/ginger_cat_small.jpeg

This was done with a pretty poor handheld torch. I think you'd get much
better results with a better light source. And cats aren't really the
best subjects for "light painting" because they move...

Cheers,

Ollie