From: Brent on
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 01:16:24 -0400, BobS wrote:

> You trying to melt the car...?

It DOES get pretty hot. Too hot to touch most of the time. But the light is
good. While it lasts.
From: J. Clarke on
On 8/3/2010 3:04 AM, Brent wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 20:18:05 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
>
>> Usually when I take pics, the camera flash does a good job.
>
> In the intracacies of the engine, the camera flash can't throw the light we
> need into all the spaces we need for a good shot.
>
> That's why it has to be hand held and clampable .
>
> The incandescents in the aluminum reflector work fine; they just break a
> lot.

May be more than you want to spend but a ring flash is made for this
sort of thing. The Sigma EM-140 works fine for $379. If you need
something more powerful the AlienBees ABR800 is 20 bucks more, but plugs
into the wall and is larger and bulkier and without any automation. For
close to double the price you can go with the Nikon R1C1 (apparently the
D5000 flash doesn't work as commander--if it did you could use the R1
for not much more than the Sigma or Alien Bees) which gives you a little
more control of shadows but is on a par with the Sigma for power.

Note by the way that the Sigma does _not_ work as a commander for
anything but the EM500 (on Canon anyway--I don't know if the Nikon
version has the same problem).

There is a bottom-feeder Chinese ringlight that is sold under the
"Bower", "Phoenix", and other brands for around 100 bucks--apparently
_if_ you get a good one they work fine but you may have to go through
several of them to get a good one.

From: DanP on
On Aug 2, 10:32 pm, "RBM" <r...(a)live.com> wrote:

> If you want standard incandescent, you want a "rough service" lamp. They
> have a more durable filament  and can withstand shock and vibration. Don't
> get a drip of water on one when it's hot though, it'll explode. Here is a
> link:http://www.superiorlighting.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=15458-...

I was expecting this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZcJtcfDAqA

DanP
From: DanP on
On Aug 3, 9:51 am, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.use...(a)cox.net> wrote:

> May be more than you want to spend but a ring flash is made for this
> sort of thing.  The Sigma EM-140 works fine for $379.  If you need

You can buy a lot of light bulbs for that money.

DanP
From: J. Clarke on
On 8/3/2010 5:23 AM, DanP wrote:
> On Aug 3, 9:51 am, "J. Clarke"<jclarke.use...(a)cox.net> wrote:
>
>> May be more than you want to spend but a ring flash is made for this
>> sort of thing. The Sigma EM-140 works fine for $379. If you need
>
> You can buy a lot of light bulbs for that money.

You can buy a lot of light bulbs for the price of a digital camera too.
So what?