From: Don Klipstein on
In <96f1b5dc-1fcf-4cd3-9b7d-24fd4d396c08(a)f42g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
Rich wrote:
>On Aug 2, 5:24�pm, Brent <beemdoub...(a)Use-Author-Supplied-
>Address.invalid> wrote:
>> In a Toyota forum I write up automotive repair DIYs under lousy lighting
>> conditions (like many people do).
>>
>> Only I use a good camera (Nikon D5000) and good back lighting to augment
>> the camera flash.
>>
>> It's cheap. I buy 200 watt bulbs from ACE Hardware and put it in an
>> aluminum light fixture with clamps so I can secure the light. I change the
>> directdion of light constantly so a stand wouldn't work.
>>
>> Problem is, I bust a bulb almost every time. When these bulbs are hot, they
>> break the filament if you drop or move the light suddenly.
>>
>> Is there a better high lumens bulb that is sturdier than the "regular" 200W
>> bulbs from ACE?
>
>Enjoy them while you can, before the envirokooks ban incandescents.

The usual 200W incandescents and most 150 watt ones rated 750 hours will
not be affected by the upcoming USA incandescent ban that is scheduled to
take effect in stages from 2012 to 2014. This ban has a lot of
exceptions:

http://members.misty.com/don/incban.html

- Don Klipstein (don(a)misty.com)
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-08-02 14:24:49 -0700, Brent
<beemdoubleu(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> said:

> In a Toyota forum I write up automotive repair DIYs under lousy lighting
> conditions (like many people do).
>
> Only I use a good camera (Nikon D5000) and good back lighting to augment
> the camera flash.
>
> It's cheap. I buy 200 watt bulbs from ACE Hardware and put it in an
> aluminum light fixture with clamps so I can secure the light. I change the
> directdion of light constantly so a stand wouldn't work.
>
> Problem is, I bust a bulb almost every time. When these bulbs are hot, they
> break the filament if you drop or move the light suddenly.
>
> Is there a better high lumens bulb that is sturdier than the "regular" 200W
> bulbs from ACE?

Check the Flashpoint Cool Light 4 system.

<
http://www.amazon.com/Flashpoint-Light-Reflector-Fluorescent-Bulbs/dp/B003B0UQ32

This is without a stand.

If you need a stand Adorama has both;
< http://www.adorama.com/FPCL4K.html >

Using this lighting you will probably have to make some white balance
adjustments if you are shooting jpeg only. Shooting RAW will give you
greater flexibility with WB.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: WW on

"Brent" <beemdoubleu(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 19:54:53 -0600, WW wrote:
>
>> I have some "PhotoFlood" lamps I used with old film movie cameras. They
>> have
>> their own reflector. WW
>
> Are they rugged?

YES ... WW

From: Grimly Curmudgeon on
drugs began to take hold. I remember Brent
<beemdoubleu(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> saying something like:

>In a Toyota forum I write up automotive repair DIYs under lousy lighting
>conditions (like many people do).
>
>Only I use a good camera (Nikon D5000) and good back lighting to augment
>the camera flash.
>
>It's cheap. I buy 200 watt bulbs from ACE Hardware and put it in an
>aluminum light fixture with clamps so I can secure the light. I change the
>directdion of light constantly so a stand wouldn't work.
>
>Problem is, I bust a bulb almost every time. When these bulbs are hot, they
>break the filament if you drop or move the light suddenly.
>
>Is there a better high lumens bulb that is sturdier than the "regular" 200W
>bulbs from ACE?

You can get cheap (<20$) 12Volt 55W HID headlamp bulbs on ebay that pump
out 3500 lumens at colour temps from 4500 to 9000K. All you need to do
is procure a spotlight unit from the same source and mount it. Feed it
from a suitable 12V PSU and Bob's yer Uncle.

The same HID setup in studio lighting will normally cost hundreds for a
single lamp.
From: Sjouke Burry on
ktos wrote:
> Tulip bulb.