From: Brent on
In a Toyota forum I write up automotive repair DIYs under lousy lighting
conditions (like many people do).

Only I use a good camera (Nikon D5000) and good back lighting to augment
the camera flash.

It's cheap. I buy 200 watt bulbs from ACE Hardware and put it in an
aluminum light fixture with clamps so I can secure the light. I change the
directdion of light constantly so a stand wouldn't work.

Problem is, I bust a bulb almost every time. When these bulbs are hot, they
break the filament if you drop or move the light suddenly.

Is there a better high lumens bulb that is sturdier than the "regular" 200W
bulbs from ACE?
From: RBM on

"Brent" <beemdoubleu(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote in message
> In a Toyota forum I write up automotive repair DIYs under lousy lighting
> conditions (like many people do).
>
> Only I use a good camera (Nikon D5000) and good back lighting to augment
> the camera flash.
>
> It's cheap. I buy 200 watt bulbs from ACE Hardware and put it in an
> aluminum light fixture with clamps so I can secure the light. I change the
> directdion of light constantly so a stand wouldn't work.
>
> Problem is, I bust a bulb almost every time. When these bulbs are hot,
> they
> break the filament if you drop or move the light suddenly.
>
> Is there a better high lumens bulb that is sturdier than the "regular"
> 200W
> bulbs from ACE?

If you want standard incandescent, you want a "rough service" lamp. They
have a more durable filament and can withstand shock and vibration. Don't
get a drip of water on one when it's hot though, it'll explode. Here is a
link:
http://www.superiorlighting.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=15458-SYL&Click=38&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=free_feed&utm_campaign=googleproducts

From: notbob on
On 2010-08-02, Brent <beemdoubleu(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote:

> It's cheap. I buy 200 watt bulbs from ACE Hardware and put it in an
> aluminum light fixture with clamps so I can secure the light.

Works for me. I used three lights (150W incandescent) with same
cheapo alum reflectors ($7 ea) for illuminating items for sale. No
problems except for very shiny round black items like rifle scopes.
Took a lot of angles and moving of lights. Otherwise, no problems
with exposure.

> Problem is, I bust a bulb almost every time. When these bulbs are hot, they
> break the filament if you drop or move the light suddenly.

Ya gotta be smarter than the tool.

nb
From: Rich on
On Aug 2, 5:24 pm, Brent <beemdoub...(a)Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid> wrote:
> In a Toyota forum I write up automotive repair DIYs under lousy lighting
> conditions (like many people do).
>
> Only I use a good camera (Nikon D5000) and good back lighting to augment
> the camera flash.
>
> It's cheap. I buy 200 watt bulbs from ACE Hardware and put it in an
> aluminum light fixture with clamps so I can secure the light. I change the
> directdion of light constantly so a stand wouldn't work.
>
> Problem is, I bust a bulb almost every time. When these bulbs are hot, they
> break the filament if you drop or move the light suddenly.
>
> Is there a better high lumens bulb that is sturdier than the "regular" 200W
> bulbs from ACE?

Enjoy them while you can, before the envirokooks ban incandescents.
From: Stormin Mormon on
I don't use one, but it might fit the bill for you.
http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-halogen-shop-light-66433.html
On sale, ten bucks. Somewhat rugged.

The LED one with 45 LED or something. Much less satisfying. Throws a
spot on the far wall, and doesn't light up the area.

Usually when I take pics, the camera flash does a good job.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus