From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2010-06-30, DaveS wrote:
> On 6/29/2010 4:57 PM, John Navas wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 16:29:54 -0500, in
>> <i0dokh$u3a$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, DaveS<mnandds(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> So if I understand correctly, if you took a photo of three of your
>>> friends - Larry, Moe, and Curly, how would you file this photo?
>>>
>>> I can only assume you would have to have a folder named "Larry Moe Curly".
>>>
>>> So then how would you find all photos containing Larry, for example?
>>
>> My folders are organized by event in date order, with tagging in the
>> folder name. So for a picnic with "Larry Moe Curly", the folder name
>> might be "2010-01-01 Picnic with Stooges Larry Moe Curly"
>> When appropriate, I may also put the subject in the file name.
>>

> Can't really tell yet if you're purposely avoiding my point, so I'll add
> another photo to the collection. This one has Larry, who turns out to be
> your grand-daughter's godfather, playing tea-party with the
> grand-daughter. I suppose this folder is called "2010-06-11 Tea party
> Jessica Larry".

And the file would be called Larry-tea-party.jpg.

> What tool do you use to search for all pictures of
> Larry, when you need a good one for his obituary?

find . -type f -name '*Larry*'

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author: =======================
From: John McWilliams on
Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> On 2010-06-30, DaveS wrote:

>> Can't really tell yet if you're purposely avoiding my point, so I'll add
>> another photo to the collection. This one has Larry, who turns out to be
>> your grand-daughter's godfather, playing tea-party with the
>> grand-daughter. I suppose this folder is called "2010-06-11 Tea party
>> Jessica Larry".
>
> And the file would be called Larry-tea-party.jpg.
>
>> What tool do you use to search for all pictures of
>> Larry, when you need a good one for his obituary?
>
> find . -type f -name '*Larry*'

That brings up 359 pictures of the wrong Larry, or that Larry surrounded
by others. You have but six suitable photos of Larry for his obit, but
they happen to be in the wrong folder.

There's nothing like well tagged photos for ease of locating without
extraneous material, by date and location and name, etc. I am familiar
with Lightroom and Adobe Bridge, which do the job well.

--
john mcwilliams
From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2010-06-30, John McWilliams wrote:
> Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
>> On 2010-06-30, DaveS wrote:
>
>>> Can't really tell yet if you're purposely avoiding my point, so I'll add
>>> another photo to the collection. This one has Larry, who turns out to be
>>> your grand-daughter's godfather, playing tea-party with the
>>> grand-daughter. I suppose this folder is called "2010-06-11 Tea party
>>> Jessica Larry".
>>
>> And the file would be called Larry-tea-party.jpg.
>>
>>> What tool do you use to search for all pictures of
>>> Larry, when you need a good one for his obituary?
>>
>> find . -type f -name '*Larry*'
>
> That brings up 359 pictures of the wrong Larry, or that Larry surrounded
> by others. You have but six suitable photos of Larry for his obit, but
> they happen to be in the wrong folder.

Not if you do it in the appropriate directory, or use a more
specific directory or file pattern, or filter the results, etc.,
etc...

Author: =======================
From: John McWilliams on
Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> On 2010-06-30, John McWilliams wrote:
>> Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
>>> And the file would be called Larry-tea-party.jpg.

>>> find . -type f -name '*Larry*'
>> That brings up 359 pictures of the wrong Larry, or that Larry surrounded
>> by others. You have but six suitable photos of Larry for his obit, but
>> they happen to be in the wrong folder.
>
> Not if you do it in the appropriate directory, or use a more
> specific directory or file pattern, or filter the results, etc.,
> etc...

Nah. They need to be tagged for sophisticated searching.

--
lsmft
From: John Navas on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 22:48:27 -0700, in
<i0elrc$c36$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, John McWilliams
<jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

>>> That brings up 359 pictures of the wrong Larry, or that Larry surrounded
>>> by others. You have but six suitable photos of Larry for his obit, but
>>> they happen to be in the wrong folder.
>>
>> Not if you do it in the appropriate directory, or use a more
>> specific directory or file pattern, or filter the results, etc.,
>> etc...
>
>Nah. They need to be tagged for sophisticated searching.

That presumes you (a) know in advance just what tags you'll need down
the road and (b) have way more free time than I do to create all those
individual tags. But fair enough -- you use what works for you, and
I'll use what works for me. And trust me, I don't have any trouble
finding images I want from my huge library in seconds.

--
Best regards,
John

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you will see every problem as a nail."
-Abraham Maslow
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Winter Photo
Next: 4/3rds fixed 3x zoom lens camera coming