From: Peter Jason on
I have about 2000 scanned family photos to tag into a
database. Eventually I want to select photos on, place,
names, and dates.

Please help,
PJ

From: Mike Russell on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 17:00:38 +1000, Peter Jason wrote:

> I have about 2000 scanned family photos to tag into a
> database. Eventually I want to select photos on, place,
> names, and dates.

I use ACDSee and it does a satisfactory job, though it has been a long time
since I did my comparisons. My main requirements were tagging, and the
ability to keep track of images archived onto DVD. It helped that, at that
time, ACDSee was much faster than the alternatives.

Other good alternatives include ThumbsPlus, and Adobe Bridge, which is
included with Photoshop. Elements also includes a keyword image organizer,
and it may be very satisfactory for your needs. There are other excellent
programs as well.

Most of these programs have demo versions you can download and try out,
which is the best way to make your determination. Once you have your
keywords entered, you are basically married to whatever indexing program
you are using.

Open source photo organizers did not exist when I made my decision some
years ago. They do now. The potential advantages of an open source
program would be the ability to freely export keywords, and, of course, a
price tag of zero. Perhaps someone here can share their experiences
---
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com
From: John Navas on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 17:00:38 +1000, in
<sKidnY1zq6S-B7TRnZ2dnUVZ_rSdnZ2d(a)netspace.net.au>, "Peter Jason"
<pj(a)jostle.com> wrote:

>I have about 2000 scanned family photos to tag into a
>database. Eventually I want to select photos on, place,
>names, and dates.

I just sort mine into a hierarchy of aptly named folders.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: Geoff. Hayward on

>>I have about 2000 scanned family photos to tag into a
>>database. Eventually I want to select photos on, place,
>>names, and dates.
>
> I just sort mine into a hierarchy of aptly named folders.

I'm glad someone has said this, because that's exactly what I do, by year
then title and date. Have never seen the need for anything else - although
I suspect I'm about to be told!

From: DaveS on
On 6/29/2010 10:39 AM, John Navas wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 17:00:38 +1000, in
> <sKidnY1zq6S-B7TRnZ2dnUVZ_rSdnZ2d(a)netspace.net.au>, "Peter Jason"
> <pj(a)jostle.com> wrote:
>
>> I have about 2000 scanned family photos to tag into a
>> database. Eventually I want to select photos on, place,
>> names, and dates.
>
> I just sort mine into a hierarchy of aptly named folders.

So if I understand correctly, if you took a photo of three of your
friends - Larry, Moe, and Curly, how would you file this photo?

I can only assume you would have to have a folder named "Larry Moe Curly".

So then how would you find all photos containing Larry, for example?

Dave S.