From: nospam on
In article <890ljrFu6qU3(a)mid.individual.net>, Chris F.A. Johnson
<cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Modify the tagging software to add the tags to the filenames.

the file name is the wrong place for metadata, especially since there's
a hard limit to its length.
From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2010-06-30, nospam wrote:
> In article <890ljrFu6qU3(a)mid.individual.net>, Chris F.A. Johnson
><cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Modify the tagging software to add the tags to the filenames.
>
> the file name is the wrong place for metadata,

A filename *is* metadata.

> especially since there's a hard limit to its length.

I can't imagine needing more than 255 characters.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author: =======================
From: nospam on
In article <891eceFk63U1(a)mid.individual.net>, Chris F.A. Johnson
<cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Modify the tagging software to add the tags to the filenames.
> >
> > the file name is the wrong place for metadata,
>
> A filename *is* metadata.

nope. metadata is exif, iptc, exif and other info, standards which
others can use.

your file naming scheme is not portable.

> > especially since there's a hard limit to its length.
>
> I can't imagine needing more than 255 characters.

i can.
From: Paul Furman on
Peter Jason wrote:
> I have about 2000 scanned family photos to tag into a
> database. Eventually I want to select photos on, place,
> names, and dates.

I use Adobe Lightroom but in the end I upload to flickr and those
annotations get updated & commented on with corrections so flickr is
really my tool of choice. For my old web site, google searches it.
Quicker than using windows to search my folders.
From: John Navas on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:01:40 -0700, in
<t-WdnS3ZpccQG7bRnZ2dnUVZ_uGdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Paul Furman
<paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote:

>Peter Jason wrote:
>> I have about 2000 scanned family photos to tag into a
>> database. Eventually I want to select photos on, place,
>> names, and dates.
>
>I use Adobe Lightroom but in the end I upload to flickr and those
>annotations get updated & commented on with corrections so flickr is
>really my tool of choice. For my old web site, google searches it.
>Quicker than using windows to search my folders.

Say what? Windows Search is now near instantaneous.
What version of Windows are you using?

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Winter Photo
Next: 4/3rds fixed 3x zoom lens camera coming