From: nospam on
In article <8907fuFboqU7(a)mid.individual.net>, Chris F.A. Johnson
<cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> >> All the tags can be in the directory and file names.
> >
> > you're going to rename every single image??
>
> That's no harder than adding tags to them all.

of course it's harder. tags can be added *automatically* based on
facial recognition and geotagging, or in batches on import.
From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2010-06-30, nospam wrote:

>> > you're going to rename every single image??
>>
>> That's no harder than adding tags to them all.
>
> of course it's harder. tags can be added *automatically* based on
> facial recognition and geotagging, or in batches on import.

Modify the tagging software to add the tags to the filenames.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author: =======================
From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 21:12:40 -0700, John McWilliams
<jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
>> On 2010-06-30, DaveS wrote:
>
>>> Can't really tell yet if you're purposely avoiding my point, so I'll add
>>> another photo to the collection. This one has Larry, who turns out to be
>>> your grand-daughter's godfather, playing tea-party with the
>>> grand-daughter. I suppose this folder is called "2010-06-11 Tea party
>>> Jessica Larry".
>>
>> And the file would be called Larry-tea-party.jpg.
>>
>>> What tool do you use to search for all pictures of
>>> Larry, when you need a good one for his obituary?
>>
>> find . -type f -name '*Larry*'
>
>That brings up 359 pictures of the wrong Larry, or that Larry surrounded
>by others. You have but six suitable photos of Larry for his obit, but
>they happen to be in the wrong folder.
>
>There's nothing like well tagged photos for ease of locating without
>extraneous material, by date and location and name, etc. I am familiar
>with Lightroom and Adobe Bridge, which do the job well.

So you tag photos of friends and relatives as obit-worthy? How about
a tag for "good for a wanted poster"?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 22:57:27 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <hmml26h8htq0k30c903bjf29hglsh9s0u8(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
><jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> >Nah. They need to be tagged for sophisticated searching.
>>
>> That presumes you (a) know in advance just what tags you'll need down
>> the road and (b) have way more free time than I do to create all those
>> individual tags.
>
>no need for free time. add the keywords on import and let the computer
>figure out the faces and geotagging.

His point is valid. If you don't know what tags you'll need in the
future, the sophisticated tag system is no better than the folder
system.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: John Navas on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 07:27:09 -0400, in
<4cam265nl8gl71gs5ve226ubp53hrfk0dv(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 21:12:40 -0700, John McWilliams
><jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

>>> And the file would be called Larry-tea-party.jpg.

>>> find . -type f -name '*Larry*'
>>
>>That brings up 359 pictures of the wrong Larry, or that Larry surrounded
>>by others. You have but six suitable photos of Larry for his obit, but
>>they happen to be in the wrong folder.
>>
>>There's nothing like well tagged photos for ease of locating without
>>extraneous material, by date and location and name, etc. I am familiar
>>with Lightroom and Adobe Bridge, which do the job well.
>
>So you tag photos of friends and relatives as obit-worthy? How about
>a tag for "good for a wanted poster"?

LOL!

--
Best regards,
John

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you will see every problem as a nail."
-Abraham Maslow
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Winter Photo
Next: 4/3rds fixed 3x zoom lens camera coming