From: AlanT on
There haven't been many suggestions for the OP. I suggest he look at Imatch,
it may suit.
Well worth checking out its features.
Regards, Alan

From: OG on

"Peter Jason" <pj(a)jostle.com> wrote in message
>I have about 2000 scanned family photos to tag into a database.
>Eventually I want to select photos on, place, names, and dates.

Picasa has face recognition built in. It works surprisingly well in my view,
but there are two 'gotcha's with using it for family photos

- you'll have different people who look broadly similar due to genetics
- you'll have the same people who look quite different as they have aged.

As the facial recognition relies on recognising similarities, I would
recommend you start by tagging individuals by name and ageband

John - baby
John - toddler
John - boy
John - teenage
John - twenties thirties
John - prime
John - recent
Anna - baby
Anna - toddler
etc
If you lump all the John's into one 'pot' any s/w will have difficulty
picking out the factors that mark out individuals - baby Anna will look more
like baby John than teenage Anna

From: hejeva on

to do what you want, you really need a photo organizing software. I
wouldn't try organize your folders or filenames and use window search to
find photos. You can try ACDSee Pro 3. The main advantage is that it
leaves your images wherever they are on disk drive and you can organize
them from there. No "importing" them into your software. You can
create your own category system to tag your photos. Then when done, you
do a batch write info to file and place your category tags into the IPTC
categories to preserve them (and make them viewable to other software.)
ACDSee Pro 3 has a 30 day full trial so you can try it out before you
purchase.