From: ray on
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 13:15:35 -0700, nospam wrote:

> In article <89m81kFrahU3(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Yes, but don't need one here. His numbers (which I don't necessarily
>> believe anyway) show Linux and MAC with 113 million vs MS at 1.087
>> billion. So, MAC plus Linux (those NOT able to use a winprinter) would
>> seem to come to 10.395584% - I guess I was fairly close.
>
> that's only for winprinters. win+mac = 99% of the market, which is why
> very few companies bother with linux.

Thought we just covered that. Linux plus MAC = 10% of the market - which
is why very few companies bother with it???

I believe the discussion was concerning winprinters - or you're trying to
tell me they work fine on a MAC?
From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> manual focus nikon lenses work on nikon dslrs,

Unless you try metering through the lens ... then it gets
iffy.

> while manual focus canon lenses do not work on canon dslrs.

The MP-E does not work on Canon DSLRs? That's news to me ...

-Wolfgang
From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on

> OK. I use Macs exclusively at home. A Macbook Pro and a PPC iMac.
> I am using a Canon i9900 networked via WiFi without issue. So using
> your general rule that if a printer works with Mac it will most likely
> work with Linux, that i9900 should work with Linux.

Needs a closed source print system, though.
http://www.zedonet.com/en_p_turboprint_driver.phtml?printer=Canon_i9900

-Wolfgang
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-07-08 15:21:42 -0700, Wolfgang Weisselberg
<ozcvgtt02(a)sneakemail.com> said:

>> OK. I use Macs exclusively at home. A Macbook Pro and a PPC iMac.
>> I am using a Canon i9900 networked via WiFi without issue. So using
>> your general rule that if a printer works with Mac it will most likely
>> work with Linux, that i9900 should work with Linux.
>
> Needs a closed source print system, though.
> http://www.zedonet.com/en_p_turboprint_driver.phtml?printer=Canon_i9900
>
> -Wolfgang

Interesting. Thanks for that.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Peter on
> On 2010-07-08 08:00:19 -0700, ray <ray(a)zianet.com> said:

>> This idiot seems to be preoccupied with printers. It has been my general
>> observation that if a printer works with MAC it will most likely work
>> with Linux - I've yet to see an exception.
>
> OK. I use Macs exclusively at home. A Macbook Pro and a PPC iMac.
> I am using a Canon i9900 networked via WiFi without issue. So using your
> general rule that if a printer works with Mac it will most likely work
> with Linux, that i9900 should work with Linux.
> This just seems like another one of those "I am hiding my product bias
> behind a pseudo tech alibi". I think this is just some sort of extension
> the brand name war.

Hey duck, did you ever get the impression that the whiners communicate
valuable, time saving information.
About six years ago, when I didn't know any better, I had a Canon all-in
one. (printer, copier, scanner & fax). There was no Linux driver available
for it and I was running a home network under Linux. Since I didn't know it
could not be run under Linux, I wrote a driver for it and the thing ran
perfectly.
If I had the knowledge of the experts here, I would not have been able to
write the driver. Oh I forgot to mention that the Canon was not designed as
a network printer either.
About two weeks ago I donated it to the Salvation Army, as I no longer need
a fax and have stopped running under Linux.

--
Peter