From: ray on
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 18:24:05 -0700, nospam wrote:

>> > Oh, my mistake. The _6_ people who use Linux as a desktop etc. etc.
>>
>> I know hundreds of Linux desktop Linux users in one city alone. (And
>> that's probably a small percentage of those who use it.)
>
> hundreds! that many??

If there are only a few hundred users there, that could indeed be a very
large percentage.

> now go look at how many mac and windows users there are.

Checked - seven and five.

From: Bruce on
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 16:01:16 -0400, Alan Lichtenstein <arl(a)erols.com>
wrote:
>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> It isn't a reflex camera. It has no reflex mirror, and no reflex
>> viewfinder.
>>
>> It is therefore not - by any stretch of anyone's imagination - an SLR.
>>
>> This isn't just semantics. It is about the fundamental principle of
>> what type of camera it is. No matter how many times you claim that it
>> is an SLR (single lens reflex) camera, it is *not* and never will be.
>>
>> You're showing your ignorance, and you know it. Don't!
>>

>You're right. I spoke too hastily.

You're forgiven. ;-)

But you have pointed out a problem with the marketing methods used by
digital camera manufacturers. They really want you to think you are
buying an DSLR. Their product looks like a DSLR and feels like one.
It's only when you look into the viewfinder that you realise it isn't,
and of course the noisy results from the tiny sensor confirm that.

I think one manufacturer actually has the cheek to call their
superzoom product a "DSLR-style camera". It's a not-so-subtle way of
hinting at DSLR image quality without actually providing it.

(no doubt the resident anti-DSLR troll will be along in a minute with
his usual anti-DSLR rant!)
From: Pete Stavrakoglou on
> On 2010-07-04 07:03:10 -0700, ray <ray(a)zianet.com> said:
>
>> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 01:10:42 -0700, james wrote:
>>
>>> SDxx card have equaled or bettered CF card. Is there a good reason why
>>> high end DSLRs still use CF cards? This actually seems like a turn-off,
>>> not a feature.
>>
>> I think one significant reason is that many purchasers are repeat buyers
>> - they already HAVE CF cards. IMHO - best route is to make a camera
>> capable of using CF and SD.
>
> ...and that is what I have with my D300s.

But not my 7d :)

That is the one feature I wish my camera had. Not a deal breaker as I
already had plenty of CF cards but I do wish it used SD cards also like the
Nikon.

From: ray on
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 23:08:21 -0400, krishnananda wrote:

> In article <89hiahF852U33(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 16:14:24 -0400, krishnananda wrote:

>> > Oh, my mistake. The _6_ people who use Linux as a desktop etc. etc.
>> >
>> > Canon won't even release their latest RAW file specs to Adobe let
>> > alone the innards of something called a "WIN-printer". I'll go out on
>> > a limb and guess that there will never be a Mac driver for a
>> > WINprinter and I don't care. I don't find it necessary to boycott
>> > Canon or whine interminably about how everyone picks on my computer's
>> > operating system.
>> >

>> Not whining at all. Also not trying to convert anyone. I was asked why
>> I eschew Canon and I replied - no more, no less.
>>
>> > Get over it. Their legal department probably had mass apoplexy at the
>> > thought of all those pissed off Linux users suing Canon over some
>> > teenager's "open source" software that is supposed to work perfectly
>> > on all computers and all Canon devices but crashes instead.
>> >
>> > Remember, the corollary to free software is the deep-pockets rule of
>> > lawsuits.
>>
>> I'm not asking that Canon develop Linux drivers - simply allow others
>> to write them. They don't, so I don't.
>
> All kidding and tongue-in-cheek aside (and I _was_ kidding...) it seems
> to me that trying to get Winprinters to print from operating systems
> other than Windows would only be worth it if the printer itself is
> something special.
>
> Like Winmodems of days gone by, Winprinters (technically Graphics Device
> Interface printers) rely on the host OS for all image processing and
> therefore can be manufactured extremely cheaply. If there was something
> like ultra-high resolution or hexachrome printing I could see making the
> effort, but for the el-cheapo printers Canon makes as GDI devices I'd
> rather use a decent printer instead. None of the GDI printers uses a
> proper RIP, certainly not PostScript.
>
> What I don't know is whether you could hook up a Winprinter and then
> print to it under WINE. That is a kluge, of course, but I'd rather use a
> high-end high-resolution printer anyway.
>
> Source: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winprinter#GDI_printers> (just
> because it's on the wiki thing doesn't automatically mean it's wrong...)
>
> Oh, and according to <www.numberof.net> their estimate as of June 2010
> there are approximately 19 million Linux users :-)

Does the term 'example' mean anything to you?
From: Neil Harrington on

"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> (no doubt the resident anti-DSLR troll will be along in a minute with
> his usual anti-DSLR rant!)

Yep, there he is, right on cue.