From: Neil on
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 11:27:13 -0700, otter wrote:

> On Jul 5, 12:47 pm, ray <r...(a)zianet.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 11:48:32 -0500, George Kerby wrote:

>> > Because?
>>
>> Because they have no support for Linux, I choose to not use their
>> products and support folks who do.- Hide quoted text -

> What Canon software do you really need to use? I use Adobe to import
> RAW files from the camera, through the rest of the post-processing. Not
> sure how well Photoshop works on Linux, but there is always GIMP. My
> point is, though, you don't need to run any Canon software if you have a
> Canon camera.anÖ=)Š7

I use Fedora 13 as my linux distro of choice and find that Raw Studio
does all I want for a high percentage of photos, for the rest I find that
the Gimp has all(and more) of the controls I need. I only use windows for
a few newsgroups and because my wife doesn't like how I have my window
manager (E16) in linux I copy my photos over here so she can see them.

--
Neil - reverse 'ra' and delete 'l'.
From: ray on
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 23:36:12 -0700, nospam wrote:

> In article <87y6dptbne.fld(a)apaflo.com>, Floyd L. Davidson
> <floyd(a)apaflo.com> wrote:
>
>> >linux users might benefit but the rest of the users (which is vastly
>> >greater in number) will lose.
>> >
>> >resources are limited. if a company puts their efforts into supporting
>> >linux, that means they'll have less resources available for developing
>> >other features that will benefit a larger number of users.
>>
>> You don't understand the significance of Open Source...
>
> yes i do, and it's even less likely that a company is going to release
> something open source, particularly a camera company where keeping
> secrets from one's competitors is key. there is absolutely no way that
> these companies would ever open source the 'secret sauce.' in some
> cases, they *can't*.

B.S. What's the value in keeping 'proprietary secrets' that everyone in
the industry already knows? It's not necessary for a company to spend R&D
time on Linux - all they need to do is release the specs and someone will
write it for them - that simple.

>> >you have a nikon camera, they don't support linux but you bought it
>> >anyway.
>>
>> Nikon has no significant software products, Linux or otherwise.
>
> like hell they don't. what do you call these? and don't forget their
> previous versions that have been discontinued.

They also don't make products that, outside of MS, are boat anchors or
doorstops.

From: ray on
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 11:41:02 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

> "ray" <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 21:43:15 +0200, Ofnuts wrote:
>>

>> See other reply. Canon makes things other than cameras - e.g. printers.
>> Until they show a little Linux support, I prefer to ignore all their
>> offerings. I don't expect you or anyone else to be with me - but that
>> is my reason.
>
> I can almost understand your stance, it's similar to some friends I have
> that are vegetarian and refuse to go in to McDonalds .
>
> But I'm curious about one thing is it that Canon OS doesn't support
> Linux or is it that Linux don't support Canon ?

It's that Canon makes (or at least used to) products for MS use ONLY -
such as 'winprinters'. Linux 'support' does not need to go very far to be
very effective. Releasing necessary specification to allow software to be
written is all it takes.

If they don't want their products used in Linux (any of their products)
then, yes, I'm willing to forgo their entire product lineup.
From: ray on
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 09:27:43 -0400, krishnananda wrote:

> In article <i0v17o$pee$1(a)qmul>,
> "whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote:
>
>> "ray" <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote in message
>> > On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 21:43:15 +0200, Ofnuts wrote:
>> >

>> > See other reply. Canon makes things other than cameras - e.g.
>> > printers. Until they show a little Linux support, I prefer to ignore
>> > all their offerings. I don't expect you or anyone else to be with me
>> > - but that is my reason.
>>
>> I can almost understand your stance, it's similar to some friends I
>> have that are vegetarian and refuse to go in to McDonalds .
>>
>> But I'm curious about one thing is it that Canon OS doesn't support
>> Linux or is it that Linux don't support Canon ?
>
> Perhaps users of FreeBSD, OpenSolaris, NetBSD, and other *server*
> operating systems should also boycott Canon, Nikon, and other vendors of
> *consumer-level* software?
>
> For the 5 people using Linux as their desktop OS, well Linux itself was
> always roll your own. Don't like Canon? Write your own software.

Folk have indeed written software to handle, for example, Canon raw file
types. What they can't do is write software for 'winprinters' and other
Canon products - at least without proper documentation.

No comment on your ignorance about number of Linux users.
From: John Navas on
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 15:15:53 -0500, in
<s5f4361591m9qiq3rrpj73a2931pn1oelm(a)4ax.com>, RichB
<richardb(a)plaxton.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 12:57:13 -0400, Alan Lichtenstein <arl(a)erols.com>
>wrote:

>>You wouldn't buy the camera anyway, because it's a compact dSLR. I
>>bought my wife an Olympus SP590-UZ, and it has only one slot. The
>>manual says it can take either an Olympus XD card, or a microSD card
>>with the enclosed adapter. Newer Olympus cameras XD formats are
>>supposed to be compatible with SD,although, I use the microSD card for
>>my wife's camera, because third-party cards are cheaper and for her
>>purposes, are fine.
>
>All cameras can use a Micro-SD card. I use a Micro to standard SD adapter.
>I also use Micro-SD in a Sony Memory-Stick-Pro-only camera with similar
>adapters. Greatly increasing its original 2G storage capacity limit as
>well.

The problem is that most MicroSD cards are dog slow --
SD cards can be much faster.

--
John

"Assumption is the mother of all screw ups."
[Wethern�s Law of Suspended Judgement]