From: Floyd L. Davidson on
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
>In article <8739vxv65f.fld(a)apaflo.com>, Floyd L. Davidson
><floyd(a)apaflo.com> wrote:
>
>> His gain though, and ours, would be if they did support
>> Linux.
>
>linux users might benefit but the rest of the users (which is vastly
>greater in number) will lose.
>
>resources are limited. if a company puts their efforts into supporting
>linux, that means they'll have less resources available for developing
>other features that will benefit a larger number of users.

You don't understand the significance of Open Source...

>> They don't, so there is little reason to support
>> them simply because there are virtually always other
>> products from companies that do support Linux.
>
>you have a nikon camera, they don't support linux but you bought it
>anyway.

Nikon has no significant software products, Linux or
otherwise.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd(a)apaflo.com
From: nospam on
In article <87y6dptbne.fld(a)apaflo.com>, Floyd L. Davidson
<floyd(a)apaflo.com> wrote:

> >linux users might benefit but the rest of the users (which is vastly
> >greater in number) will lose.
> >
> >resources are limited. if a company puts their efforts into supporting
> >linux, that means they'll have less resources available for developing
> >other features that will benefit a larger number of users.
>
> You don't understand the significance of Open Source...

yes i do, and it's even less likely that a company is going to release
something open source, particularly a camera company where keeping
secrets from one's competitors is key. there is absolutely no way that
these companies would ever open source the 'secret sauce.' in some
cases, they *can't*.

> >you have a nikon camera, they don't support linux but you bought it
> >anyway.
>
> Nikon has no significant software products, Linux or
> otherwise.

like hell they don't. what do you call these? and don't forget their
previous versions that have been discontinued.

<http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Imaging-Software/index.page>

they also made a 'capital investment in nik software,' who have been
making some very interesting products for many, many years.

<http://www.niksoftware.com/company/usa/entry.php?info=company/pressroom
/nikcoop.shtml>
From: Floyd L. Davidson on
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
>In article <87y6dptbne.fld(a)apaflo.com>, Floyd L. Davidson
><floyd(a)apaflo.com> wrote:
>
>> >linux users might benefit but the rest of the users (which is vastly
>> >greater in number) will lose.
>> >
>> >resources are limited. if a company puts their efforts into supporting
>> >linux, that means they'll have less resources available for developing
>> >other features that will benefit a larger number of users.
>>
>> You don't understand the significance of Open Source...
>
>yes i do, and it's even less likely that a company is going to release
>something open source, particularly a camera company where keeping
>secrets from one's competitors is key. there is absolutely no way that
>these companies would ever open source the 'secret sauce.' in some
>cases, they *can't*.

You *clearly* don't know what you are talking about.

>> >you have a nikon camera, they don't support linux but you bought it
>> >anyway.
>>
>> Nikon has no significant software products, Linux or
>> otherwise.
>
>like hell they don't. what do you call these? and don't forget their
>previous versions that have been discontinued.
>
><http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Imaging-Software/index.page>
>
>they also made a 'capital investment in nik software,' who have been
>making some very interesting products for many, many years.
>
><http://www.niksoftware.com/company/usa/entry.php?info=company/pressroom
>/nikcoop.shtml>

Like I said... nothing significant...

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd(a)apaflo.com
From: nospam on
In article <87pqz1t4ef.fld(a)apaflo.com>, Floyd L. Davidson
<floyd(a)apaflo.com> wrote:

> >> Nikon has no significant software products, Linux or
> >> otherwise.
> >
> >like hell they don't. what do you call these? and don't forget their
> >previous versions that have been discontinued.
> >
> ><http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Imaging-Software/index.page>
>
> Like I said... nothing significant...

actually they're very significant, which you might realize if you ever
tried using any of them.

like you say, "You *clearly* don't know what you are talking about."
From: whisky-dave on

"ray" <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 21:43:15 +0200, Ofnuts wrote:
>

> See other reply. Canon makes things other than cameras - e.g. printers.
> Until they show a little Linux support, I prefer to ignore all their
> offerings. I don't expect you or anyone else to be with me - but that is
> my reason.

I can almost understand your stance, it's similar to some friends I
have that are vegetarian and refuse to go in to McDonalds .

But I'm curious about one thing is it that Canon OS doesn't support Linux
or is it that Linux don't support Canon ?