From: John Navas on
On 6 Jul 2010 14:46:45 GMT, in <89gtukF852U25(a)mid.individual.net>, ray
<ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 23:36:12 -0700, nospam wrote:

>> yes i do, and it's even less likely that a company is going to release
>> something open source, particularly a camera company where keeping
>> secrets from one's competitors is key. there is absolutely no way that
>> these companies would ever open source the 'secret sauce.' in some
>> cases, they *can't*.
>
>B.S. What's the value in keeping 'proprietary secrets' that everyone in
>the industry already knows? It's not necessary for a company to spend R&D
>time on Linux - all they need to do is release the specs and someone will
>write it for them - that simple.

Cost may be the reason -- formal release of specs inevitably involves
cost issues, especially in terms of support.

--
John

"Assumption is the mother of all screw ups."
[Wethern�s Law of Suspended Judgement]
From: John Navas on
On 6 Jul 2010 02:22:55 GMT, in <89fibvF852U23(a)mid.individual.net>, ray
<ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:

>>> Because they have no support for Linux, I choose to not use their
>>> products and support folks who do.
>>
>> So you don't use their hardware because it doesn't fit your software?
>
>I don't use their hardware because of philosophical differences. I was
>greatly turned off a number of years ago with a Canon winprinter.

Likewise, FD lenses in my case. When initially deciding carefully on a
lens system, I swallowed the Canon hype on the FD lens mount only to
have Canon abandon it after I had invested many thousands of dollars in
lenses. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
Should have gone Nikon. Won't buy another Canon product of any kind.

--
John

"There are three kinds of men.
The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."
-Will Rogers
From: George Kerby on

On 7/5/10 9:22 PM, in article 89fibvF852U23(a)mid.individual.net, "ray"
<ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 20:05:09 -0500, George Kerby wrote:
>
>> On 7/5/10 12:47 PM, in article 89ek5hF852U19(a)mid.individual.net, "ray"
>> <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:

>>> Because they have no support for Linux, I choose to not use their
>>> products and support folks who do.
>>
>> So you don't use their hardware because it doesn't fit your software?
>
> I don't use their hardware because of philosophical differences. I was
> greatly turned off a number of years ago with a Canon winprinter.
>

>> Man, that is something I never would have guessed.
>>
>> BTW: I don't use the software either, but that doesn't keep me from
>> using the best hardware products on the market.
>
> If I felt I were severely constrained, I might possibly rethink my
> position - no evidence so far that I am.

An interesting aside: This is the 25th anniversary of Apple's LaserWriter.
The machine opened Desktop Publishing for the "little guy". Even at seven
grand, (today = $14K), it was a cheap alternative to much more expensive and
time consuming lithography techniques available at that time.

From: George Kerby on

On 7/6/10 10:20 AM, in article o4i636hl30ut0h7kj9veiv67g8cvcnjukm(a)4ax.com,
"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> On 6 Jul 2010 02:22:55 GMT, in <89fibvF852U23(a)mid.individual.net>, ray
> <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:

>>> So you don't use their hardware because it doesn't fit your software?
>>
>> I don't use their hardware because of philosophical differences. I was
>> greatly turned off a number of years ago with a Canon winprinter.
>
> Likewise, FD lenses in my case. When initially deciding carefully on a
> lens system, I swallowed the Canon hype on the FD lens mount only to
> have Canon abandon it after I had invested many thousands of dollars in
> lenses. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
> Should have gone Nikon. Won't buy another Canon product of any kind.

You're a pig-head. It figures.

We wouldn't have expected anything else.

From: Floyd L. Davidson on
John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>On 6 Jul 2010 14:46:45 GMT, in <89gtukF852U25(a)mid.individual.net>, ray
><ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 23:36:12 -0700, nospam wrote:
>
>>> yes i do, and it's even less likely that a company is going to release
>>> something open source, particularly a camera company where keeping
>>> secrets from one's competitors is key. there is absolutely no way that
>>> these companies would ever open source the 'secret sauce.' in some
>>> cases, they *can't*.
>>
>>B.S. What's the value in keeping 'proprietary secrets' that everyone in
>>the industry already knows? It's not necessary for a company to spend R&D
>>time on Linux - all they need to do is release the specs and someone will
>>write it for them - that simple.
>
>Cost may be the reason -- formal release of specs inevitably involves
>cost issues, especially in terms of support.

You meant to say "involves reducing costs"???

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd(a)apaflo.com