From: Neil Harrington on

"Robert Coe" <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote in message
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 17:37:33 -0400, "Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net>
> wrote:
> :
> : "Gary Edstrom" <GEdstrom(a)PacBell.Net> wrote in message
> : news:4qc136hpdtfolfdg2t8scu5tikl3ubq8bk(a)4ax.com...
> : > On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 01:10:42 -0700, "james" <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote:
> : >
> : >>SDxx card have equaled or bettered CF card. Is there a good reason why
> : >>high
> : >>end DSLRs still use CF cards? This actually seems like a turn-off, not
> : >>feature.
> : >
> : > Well, SD cards do have two advantages over CF cards:
> : > 1. Size and
> : > 2. Much less chance of bending pins inside the camera.
> :
> : I've read of that happening (bending pins) but I'm damned if I can see
> how
> : it's possible. In every camera I own that takes CF cards, the card is
> guided
> : so well into the camera, and the pin ends I presume are beveled, . . .
> how
> : can any pins get bent? I am reasonably clumsy but have never bent any CF
> : pins.
>
> I've done it in a crappy card reader.

Ah. Yes, I can see that all right. It's the "bending pins inside the camera"
that I can't understand.

In the case of a crappy card reader -- bend the pins, throw away the crappy
reader and that's that. But I'd sure hate to bend the pins in a camera. I
imagine that would be a nasty repair job.

From: John Navas on
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 20:47:28 +0100, in
<36l936thpbb8eefg3dvnptcckidp5rmk2k(a)4ax.com>, Bruce
<docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Even at base ISO, there will be either visible noise or the visible
>smudging effects of noise reduction. There will be serious levels of
>rectilinear distortion and chromatic aberration thanks to the desire
>of the marketing department for ever greater zoom rations.
>
>The Laws of Physics dictate that, ...

Simply not true.

--
John

"Facts? We ain't got no facts. We don't need no facts. I don't have
to show you any stinking facts!" [with apologies to John Huston]
From: John Navas on
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 15:19:29 -0400, in
<f5KdnaO9k6zUTqnRnZ2dnUVZ_uydnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, "Neil Harrington"
<nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote:

>"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> (no doubt the resident anti-DSLR troll will be along in a minute with
>> his usual anti-DSLR rant!)
>
>Yep, there he is, right on cue.

You too ... ;)

--
John

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea - massive,
difficult to redirect, awe inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind
boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it." --Gene Spafford
From: nospam on
In article <vfo936l9trq00loh7lfla87fl1iiekab30(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >Even at base ISO, there will be either visible noise or the visible
> >smudging effects of noise reduction. There will be serious levels of
> >rectilinear distortion and chromatic aberration thanks to the desire
> >of the marketing department for ever greater zoom rations.
> >
> >The Laws of Physics dictate that, ...
>
> Simply not true.

it is true, as has been shown to you countless times.
From: Bruce on
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 15:28:31 -0400, "Neil Harrington"
<nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote:

>Ah. Yes, I can see that all right. It's the "bending pins inside the camera"
>that I can't understand.
>
>In the case of a crappy card reader -- bend the pins, throw away the crappy
>reader and that's that. But I'd sure hate to bend the pins in a camera. I
>imagine that would be a nasty repair job.

The technician who services my DSLRs tells me that bent pins in the
camera are extremely rare. He knows of only one case in over ten
years of servicing Nikon and Canon DSLRs. He spent the first five
years at Nikon UK's service centre and the rest of the time at the
UK's premier Nikon (and Canon) authorised pro repair centre.