From: Cal Who on

" Cal Who" <CalWhoNOSPAM(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>I don't have any evidence of Window Defender on my machine.
> My Start/All Programs does not contain it.
> I opened Control panelAdd Remove Programs to see if it is mentioned
> there - it isn't.
>
> Shouldn't it appear some place - I like to check if it is really
> installed.
>
> Thank

I wonder if you can do me a favor and let me know one thing:

If installed does it show up in the control panel list of programs that can
be removed?

If not, how can I check to se if it is installed?

Thanks

From: VanguardLH on
Bruce Hagen wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote ...
>
>> Cal Who wrote:
>
>> Also, Windows Defender is dead. It was replaced with Microsoft Security
>> Essentials (MSE).
>
> MSE includes the properties of Windows Defender, but MSE is not a
> replacement unless you are running MSE. When using an AV other than MSE
> like Avast, AVG, etc, Windows Defender is still alive and well with
> continuous updating.

The OP said they don't have Windows Defender. Why would you suggest
installing WD when MSE is its replacement (includes WD plus the AV)?
What they should get now is MSE, not Windows Defender.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/default.aspx

Going to:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/default.aspx

and searching on Windows Defender finds the following download page:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/default.aspx

So it's still available for download. The lifecycle page at:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=11952

says it doesn't go dead for about another 2 years. So I was wrong
thinking WD is officially dead. Does seem pointless to install WD when
MSE is available. Yes, you could install WD along with a 3rd party AV
but then you obviate the need for WD if you install a 3rd party AV. It
has been maybe a decade since any AV program only detected viruses.
From: Donald Anadell on

> " Cal Who" <CalWhoNOSPAM(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>I don't have any evidence of Window Defender on my machine.
>> My Start/All Programs does not contain it.
>> I opened Control panelAdd Remove Programs to see if it is mentioned
>> there - it isn't.
>>
>> Shouldn't it appear some place - I like to check if it is really
>> installed.
>>
>> Thank
>>
> I wonder if you can do me a favor and let me know one thing:
>
> If installed does it show up in the control panel list of programs that
> can be removed?

Yes, and Yes. It should be listed in Add\Remove Programs as "Windows
Defender"

> If not, how can I check to se if it is installed?

In the Run box type(or copy and paste) the following:

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe

If it's installed this will open the Windows Defender interface.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

From: Cal Who on

"Donald Anadell" <danadell(a)nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message

> " Cal Who" <CalWhoNOSPAM(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>
>> " Cal Who" <CalWhoNOSPAM(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>>I don't have any evidence of Window Defender on my machine.
>>> My Start/All Programs does not contain it.
>>> I opened Control panelAdd Remove Programs to see if it is mentioned
>>> there - it isn't.
>>>
>>> Shouldn't it appear some place - I like to check if it is really
>>> installed.
>>>
>>> Thank
>>>
>> I wonder if you can do me a favor and let me know one thing:
>>
>> If installed does it show up in the control panel list of programs that
>> can be removed?
>
> Yes, and Yes. It should be listed in Add\Remove Programs as "Windows
> Defender"
>

>> If not, how can I check to se if it is installed?
>
> In the Run box type(or copy and paste) the following:
>
> C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
>
> If it's installed this will open the Windows Defender interface.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell

Thanks, Guess I don't have it.
I always thought I did because I get some kind of MS security up dates
periodically like they were virus signatures.

Thanks

From: Cal Who on

"Bruce Hagen" <BRH(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>" Cal Who" <CalWhoNOSPAM(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>I don't have any evidence of Window Defender on my machine.
>> My Start/All Programs does not contain it.
>> I opened Control panelAdd Remove Programs to see if it is mentioned
>> there - it isn't.
>>
>> Shouldn't it appear some place - I like to check if it is really
>> installed.
>>
>> Thank
>

> Did you ever download it?

I don't remember.

Probably not since ot is not in my Program Files folder. (Unless MSE or
something else removes it)

> If you did, have you installed Microsoft Security Essentials?

But I recently installed MSE.

I also have running (for years) free AVG.

Do you have a suggestion as to how I should proceed?

Thanks

> If not MSE, what AV program are you using and when did you start it or
> upgrade it last?
> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP [Mail]