From: VanguardLH on
Cal Who wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote ...
>
>> Cal Who wrote:
>>
>>> I don't have any evidence of Window Defender on my machine.
>>
>> Well, did YOU ever bother to actually *install* it? If you want it on
>> your computer than YOU will have to install it.
>
> I let MS automatically update my machine. Is it any good and for some reason
> not automatically install? If so, do you know why that is so?

*YOU* will have to install WD or MSE. Automatic Updates won't do it.
From: VanguardLH on
Cal Who wrote:

> Thanks, Guess I don't have it.
> I always thought I did because I get some kind of MS security up dates
> periodically like they were virus signatures.

You are probably thinking of the monthly malware scanner (aka Malicious
Software Removal Tool). That has a basic list of signatures, gets
downloaded by AU (if *you* opt for it), runs, then removes itself. A
monthly scan, assuming you include it in the AU list, is hardly
reasonable protection against malware.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830
"The Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool does not replace an
antivirus product. It is strictly a post-infection removal tool.
Therefore, we strongly recommend that you install and use an up-to-date
antivirus product."
From: Cal Who on

"Bruce Hagen" <BRH(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> " Cal Who" <CalWhoNOSPAM(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> " Cal Who" <CalWhoNOSPAM(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message

>>> MSE includes Windows Defender. Like any other AV program, MSE runs in
>>> the background all the time. You can set a scheduled scan if you wish,
>>> but it is no more or less needed than a scheduled scan with any AV
>>> program
>>> --
>>> Bruce Hagen
>>> MS-MVP [Mail]
>>> Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> The default that comes with MSE is a quick scan once a week. Itt seems to
>> me that it only has to scan for virus etc that were add to its list
>> since the last scan. True?
>>
>> I should get rid of AVG which I also have installed?
>>
>> Can't have two AV programs running??
>>

>> Thanks
>

> See my other reply, and yes, you need to uninstall AVG. You should never
> have 2 AV programs running at the same time.
> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP [Mail]
> Imperial Beach, CA

Thanks a lot

From: Cal Who on

> Cal Who wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote ...

>>> Well, did YOU ever bother to actually *install* it? If you want it on
>>> your computer than YOU will have to install it.
>>
>> I let MS automatically update my machine. Is it any good and for some
>> reason
>> not automatically install? If so, do you know why that is so?
>
> *YOU* will have to install WD or MSE. Automatic Updates won't do it.

I understand that but I think my question was about why MS does not include
it in the auto installation process.

Thanks

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Cal Who wrote:
<snip>
>> MSE includes the properties of Windows Defender, but MSE is not a
>> replacement unless you are running MSE.
>
> I just installed MSE and wonder what yourlast comment means. Do I have to
> manully run it sometime. I believe it is scheduled to run by itself. I did
> not change any of the settings?

In Vista & Win7, installing MSE disables Defender by default.

In WinXP with Defender installed, installing MSE will remove it.

cf.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/5309cb8d-02e1-40e8-974f-0dcedb9ab9fd

Microsoft Security Essentials Support Forums
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/mse
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last