From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Cal Who wrote:
>> subscription current?
>
> AVG...

Like most current AV apps which include an anti-spyware component,
installing AVG disables Defender by default.

cf. http://www.avg.com/us-en/faq.num-2672
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: Cal Who on

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Cal Who wrote:
>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>>> subscription current?
>>
>> AVG...
>
> Like most current AV apps which include an anti-spyware component,
> installing AVG disables Defender by default.
>
> cf. http://www.avg.com/us-en/faq.num-2672
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Who knew? Well you guys did but not me.

Thanks

From: Cal Who on

> Cal Who wrote:
> <snip>
>>> MSE includes the properties of Windows Defender, but MSE is not a
>>> replacement unless you are running MSE.
>>
>> I just installed MSE and wonder what yourlast comment means. Do I have to
>> manully run it sometime. I believe it is scheduled to run by itself. I
>> did
>> not change any of the settings?
>
> In Vista & Win7, installing MSE disables Defender by default.
>
> In WinXP with Defender installed, installing MSE will remove it.

That clears that up! I have XP.

I wonder if I could sneak one more question in here.

I believe Defender also replaces Windows Live OneCare (been reading the
Internet).

I didn't have a subscription but used it ocasionally to clean the registry.

Am I now in a position where there is no free ms Registry cleaner?

Thanks very much

From: Cal Who on

"Bruce Hagen" <BRH(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> <snip>
>
> " Cal Who" <CalWhoNOSPAM(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>

>>> WD is not an automatic update.
>>

>> It's not the first time I guessed wrong.
>>
>> How does the typical MS user learn about such MS offering as Defender?
>

> Visit Microsoft Download Center from time to time.
> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP [Mail]
> Imperial Beach, CA

OK Thanks

From: Daave on
Bruce Hagen wrote:
> <snip>
>
> " Cal Who" <CalWhoNOSPAM(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>

>>> WD is not an automatic update.
>>

>> It's not the first time I guessed wrong.
>>
>> How does the typical MS user learn about such MS offering as
>> Defender?
>

> Visit Microsoft Download Center from time to time.

Doesn't Windows Vista come with Windows Defender? If so, if one has used
a PC with Windows Vista on it, they might erroneously assume that it
comes standard with Windows XP, too (like IE).

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: Curing Major Spyware Infection
Next: SP3 question