From: Cal Who on

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Cal Who wrote:
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Like most current AV apps which include an anti-spyware component,
>>> installing AVG disables Defender by default.
>>>
>>> cf. http://www.avg.com/us-en/faq.num-2672
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Who knew? Well you guys did but not me.
>
> YW. You coulda ask about this in...
>
> AVG Free Suport Forum
> http://freeforum.avg.com/

If I knew the question back then.

Thanks for the help

From: Cal Who on

>>> In Vista & Win7, installing MSE disables Defender by default.
>>>
>>> In WinXP with Defender installed, installing MSE will remove it.
>>
>> That clears that up! I have XP.
>>
>> I wonder if I could sneak one more question in here.
>>
>> I believe Defender also replaces Windows Live OneCare (been reading the
>> Internet).
>>
>> I didn't have a subscription but used it ocasionally to clean the
>> registry.
>>
>> Am I now in a position where there is no free ms Registry cleaner?
>
> Where to begin?
>
> You may have run Windows Live OneCare Safety Center "Full Service" online
> scan but you did not install OneCare without paying for it.
>
> Those currently running OneCare might consider replacing OneCare with
> Microsoft Security Essentials BEFORE their current subscription expires.
>
> Finally, if you ever think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired,
> boosted, tuned-up, cured, tweaked, fixed, or optimized (it doesn't), read
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
I don't need to read it. I'm already convinced.

Thanks

From: Cal Who on

"Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
> Cal Who wrote:
>> "VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote in message

>>> *YOU* will have to install WD or MSE. Automatic Updates won't do it.
>>

>> I understand that but I think my question was about why MS does not
>> include it in the auto installation process.
>
> MS stands for Microsoft.
>
> Microsoft, among other things, sells operating systems.
>
> The operating systems are all called Windows.
>
> Windows XP does not include Windows Defender becuase it predates Windows
> Defender. Windows Defender didn't exist in 2002!
>
> Windows Vista does include Windows Defender.
>
> Hope that clears things up!

Thanks

From: Cal Who on

"Bruce Hagen" <BRH(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> " Cal Who" <CalWhoNOSPAM(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>
>>> MSE replaced OneCare, WD did not.
>>>
>>> Why on earth would you want to use a registry cleaner? There are plenty
>>> of free ones out there, but read this before running a registry cleaner
>>> and then take your chances.
>>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099
>>> --
>>> Bruce Hagen
>>> MS-MVP [Mail]
>>> Imperial Beach, CA
>>>

>> I'm convinced. I did just run OneCare after removing AVG and it did find
>> two AVG entries that it deleted.
>>
>> That has been my experience in the past. I.E., It found many entries that
>> I know should not be there. After getting rid of a Symatic program once I
>> removed hundreds (with a different program).
>>
>> And I like neatness so it bothers me to have a file full of junk.
>>
>> But I'm sure if it screwed up my SQL Server or VS 2010 I be a bit
>> unhappy.
>>
>> So I.m just not going to think about the junk that may be in those files
>> from now on, bite my lip, and leave well enough alone.
>>

>> Thanks
>>

> Little bits and pieces of previous programs in the registry usually don't
> cause a problem. However, getting rid of AV programs entirely should be
> considered. Rather than a registry cleaner, there are specific programs
> for this. Here are some.
>
> Norton Removal Tool
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
>
> App Remover
> http://www.technibble.com/appremover-repair-tool-of-the-week/
>
> AppRemover is a small, free and portable utility designed to be a single
> removal tool for a huge list of security products. It can remove products
> made by Avast!, AVG, Avira, BullGuard, CA, ClamWin, ESET, F-Secure,
> Kaspersky, Lavasoft, McAfee, Microsoft, Norman, Panda, Sophos, Symantec,
> TrendMicro, TrustPort, Webroot and many more.
>
> AppRemover Supported Applications
> http://www.appremover.com/supported-applications
> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP [Mail]
> Imperial Beach, CA

I ran it and it didn't find anything.
I'm going to leave the registry alone from now on.

Thanks

From: Cal Who on

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 13:24:11 -0400, " Cal Who"
> <CalWhoNOSPAM(a)roadrunner.com> wrote:
>

>> Now I need a replacement for Windows Live OneCare registry cleaner!
>

> I *strongly* recommend against this. You should run *no* registry
> cleaner.
>
> Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the
> registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
> don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
> what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
> having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.
>
> The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
> removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
> it may have.
>
> Read http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html
>
> And also
> http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2005/10/02/registry-junk-a-windows-fact-of-life.aspx
>
> Let me point out that neither I nor anyone else who warns against the
> use of registry cleaners has ever said that they always cause
> problems. If they always caused problems, they would disappear from
> the market almost immediately. Many people have used a registry
> cleaner and never had a problem with it.
>
> Rather, the problem with a registry cleaner is that it carries with it
> the substantial *risk* of having a problem. And since there is no
> benefit to using a registry cleaner, running that risk is a very bad
> bargain.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Thanks you, I've made up my mind not to use one (again).

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: Curing Major Spyware Infection
Next: SP3 question