From: Cal Who on

"Bruce Hagen" <BRH(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> " Cal Who" <CalWhoNOSPAM(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Donald Anadell" <danadell(a)nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> " Cal Who" <CalWhoNOSPAM(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message

>>> Yes, and Yes. It should be listed in Add\Remove Programs as "Windows
>>> Defender"

>>> In the Run box type(or copy and paste) the following:
>>>
>>> C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
>>>
>>> If it's installed this will open the Windows Defender interface.
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>>
>>> Donald Anadell
>>>

>> Thanks, Guess I don't have it.
>> I always thought I did because I get some kind of MS security up dates
>> periodically like they were virus signatures.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> WD is not an automatic update.

It's not the first time I guessed wrong.

How does the typical MS user learn about such MS offering as Defender?

Thanks

From: Bruce Hagen on

> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote in message

>>> The OP said they don't have Windows Defender. Why would you suggest
>>> installing WD when MSE is its replacement (includes WD plus the AV)?
>>> What they should get now is MSE, not Windows Defender.
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/default.aspx
>>>
>>> Going to:
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/default.aspx
>>>
>>> and searching on Windows Defender finds the following download page:
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/default.aspx
>>>
>>> So it's still available for download. The lifecycle page at:
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=11952
>>>
>>> says it doesn't go dead for about another 2 years. So I was wrong
>>> thinking WD is officially dead. Does seem pointless to install WD
>>> when
>>> MSE is available. Yes, you could install WD along with a 3rd party AV
>>> but then you obviate the need for WD if you install a 3rd party AV.
>>> It
>>> has been maybe a decade since any AV program only detected viruses.
>>

>> The OP did not say WD was not installed, he said he couldn't find it. I
>> asked if MSE was installed because on some Windows Versions, installing
>> MSE actually removes WD.
>>
>> Should they get MSE? Sure. Why not? But they need to know they must to
>> remove their current AV program and most people are reluctant to do
>> that especially if they just paid for their current AV program.
>> --
>> Bruce Hagen
>> MS-MVP [Mail]
>> Imperial Beach, CA
>>

> Do you recommend that I remove AVG 9 now that I have MSE.
>
> Is MS supplying a AV program free?
>
> I think the default MSE schedule is to run once a week the quick
> version.
>
> Is that enough?
>
> Does it check e-mail and other things in real time like AVG does?
>

> Thanks

MSE does all and more than AVG free and is also freeware. It is an
Anti-Virus, Anti-Spam and Anti-Malware program all in one.

I have mine set to do a quick scan once a week myself. I don't even notice
it did it if I don't check the log. (IOW, very un-intrusive).

MSE does not contain e-mail scanning in the same form of other AV
programs, but is always protecting you from malicious e-mail as well as
any program. It does have real-time protection on all your files,
including temp files where attachments may be opened to.

E-mail scanning is not needed in ant e-mail program and is often the cause
of problems rather than a cure.

<canned>

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
layer of protection that eats up CPUs, slows down sending and receiving,
and causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs, account setting
changes and has even been responsible for loss of messages. Your
up-to-date A/V program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For
more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

From: Bruce Hagen on

> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> " Cal Who" <CalWhoNOSPAM(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message

>>> I just installed MSE and wonder what yourlast comment means. Do I have
>>> to manully run it sometime. I believe it is scheduled to run by
>>> itself. I did not change any of the settings?
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>>

>> MSE includes Windows Defender. Like any other AV program, MSE runs in
>> the background all the time. You can set a scheduled scan if you wish,
>> but it is no more or less needed than a scheduled scan with any AV
>> program
>> --
>> Bruce Hagen
>> MS-MVP [Mail]
>> Imperial Beach, CA
>

> The default that comes with MSE is a quick scan once a week. Itt seems
> to me that it only has to scan for virus etc that were add to its list
> since the last scan. True?
>
> I should get rid of AVG which I also have installed?
>
> Can't have two AV programs running??
>

> Thanks

See my other reply, and yes, you need to uninstall AVG. You should never
have 2 AV programs running at the same time.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

From: Bruce Hagen on
<snip>

>> WD is not an automatic update.
>

> It's not the first time I guessed wrong.
>
> How does the typical MS user learn about such MS offering as Defender?

Visit Microsoft Download Center from time to time.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

From: VanguardLH on
Bruce Hagen wrote:

> The OP did not say WD was not installed, he said he couldn't find it. I
> asked if MSE was installed because on some Windows Versions, installing
> MSE actually removes WD.

WD is not included in any version of Windows XP, the topic of this
newsgroup.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: Curing Major Spyware Infection